Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Today I watched a really long advertisement for Mercedes off-roaders. Oh, and there were some dinosaurs in it as well. (yawn) Hours I will never get back.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Today I watched a really long advertisement for Mercedes off-roaders. Oh, and there were some dinosaurs in it as well. (yawn) Hours I will never get back.

Ah it wasn't THAT bad! I mean it was good., mindless entertainment of a sort! Snort! Hey your new avatar wasn't he Mel Gibson's Chief from the original "Mad Max" IIFC?

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Chain Lightning: (1950) Chain Lightning. I am now, thoroughly convinced, that there are movies you should not rewatch as an adult. It just spoils all the good memories, with to may facts and logic!

DNO

One Too Many
Hot Tub Time Machine was last night's wardroom movie. Good, stupid fun. Having seen the first, I'll now be able to grasp the subtle nuance of the sequal...

Battleship, followed by Hot Tub Time Machine....I don't know how long your cruise is going to be, but I suspect it's going to seem long!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Battleship, followed by Hot Tub Time Machine....I don't know how long your cruise is going to be, but I suspect it's going to seem long!

Infantile humour like HTTM can make for a great tonic, it was a good laugh!

Last night though was a good one - Snatch - sad to recall Dennis Farina and Mike Reid are no longer with us. Good fun all the same!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Sahara" - The one WITH Mr. Bogart. His speech on why they should fight against overwhelming odds to hold up a German column is one for the ages. IIRC

"Why did your people in London go about their business when the Nazi's were throwing everything but the kitchen sink at em?

Why did use their little boat to pick the soldier up at Dunkirk?

Why the Russians make their stand at Stalingrad?

Why'd the Chinese move whole cities inland when the Japs attacked em?

Why Bataan?

Why Corregidor?

If you can answer that then maybe you can explain it to me..."

Worf

DNO

One Too Many
"Sahara" - The one WITH Mr. Bogart. His speech on why they should fight against overwhelming odds to hold up a German column is one for the ages. IIRC

"Why did your people in London go about their business when the Nazi's were throwing everything but the kitchen sink at em?

Why did use their little boat to pick the soldier up at Dunkirk?

Why the Russians make their stand at Stalingrad?

Why'd the Chinese move whole cities inland when the Japs attacked em?

Why Bataan?

Why Corregidor?

If you can answer that then maybe you can explain it to me..."

Worf

One of my favourite Bogart films...that and Key Largo and We're No Angels.

Currently watching Little Caesar (1931) on TCM. Some of the dialogue and scenes are a little ham-fisted by today's standards, but it's easy to see why it was so popular and why so many believe it was responsible for starting the "gangster picture" craze of the early 1930s.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Ah it wasn't THAT bad! I mean it was good., mindless entertainment of a sort! Snort! Hey your new avatar wasn't he Mel Gibson's Chief from the original "Mad Max" IIFC?

Worf

Sorry for my slow reply Worf, I've just been to see BMW Impossible.
Yep, that's the Chief, Fifi!

The Breaking Point on TCM. Entertaining, nicely shot, John Garfield, Hemingway.
:D

I thought Patricia Neal did and outstanding job (when doesn't she) as did Phyllis Thaxter (no easy task to hold your own with the always intense Garfield). That said, the movie is bit of a mess that only somewhat works. "To Have and Have Not" is a better version of this adopted-with-a-lot-of-liberty Hemingway story.

Continuing TCM's Patricial Neal day, I caught the last half of Operation Pacific (1951) starring Neal, John Wayne, Ward Bond, Philip Carey, Paul Picerni, William Campbell, and Martin Milner, among others. Considering the movie was filmed on a low budget and made use of a good deal of stock footage, and rumors that Wayne and Neal didn't get along, what I saw of it wasn't bad and I wish I'd seen it from the beginning.

TCM followed that with The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) also starring Neal, Michael Rennie, Hugh Marlowe, and Sam Jaffee, which I'm watching right now. Neal has admitted in interviews that she thought it would be just another run-of-the-mill sci-fi movie of the era, and had difficulty delivering her lines with a straight face.

I thought Patricia Neal did and outstanding job (when doesn't she) as did Phyllis Thaxter (no easy task to hold your own with the always intense Garfield). That said, the movie is bit of a mess that only somewhat works. "To Have and Have Not" is a better version of this adopted-with-a-lot-of-liberty Hemingway story.

Yeah, but the cinematography made it worth the viewing.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran