Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
How is there not one already? Dalton was also good in Hot Fuzz.
:D

I thought Dalton, like Craig and Lazenby, was really good.
I hated Brosnan and Moore; slimy, tacky, creepy feeling of the old guy in the office who sexually harrasses the students.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I hated Brosnan and Moore; slimy, tacky, creepy feeling of the old guy in the office who sexually harrasses the students.

YES. Funny, I never really got this with Pierce Brosnan until I saw Daniel Craig in the role. Then I completely did. :D

lol
A little severe for me, but most things from the seventies have that creepy, slimy, tacky, pervy feeling. I have no excuse for Brosnan.

...and the music....Man!! it was something else entirely. Like a cross between the Munsters and the Manson family. It really established a sense of uneasiness.
Vic Mizzy created all of the music for the The Addams Family television series in the 60s, so you're not too far off. He really seemed to like harpsichords and bass guitars, and used them to good effect.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour in They Got Me Covered. First watched it on my local PBS station back when I was in junior high and it's been a favorite ever since.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"V for Vendetta" - I love this film I think it's one of the most significant films of the last 10 years and I love it so much I bought it! Masterful in all aspects I consider it an under rated masterpiece.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Just finished previewing "Amy," the current documentary about yet another talented young performer destroying herself with drugs and liquor. Tragic and depressing, and every college kid out there needs to be tied to a chair and forced to watch it.

Every time I went to watch this one... I changed my mind. I had so many arguments on music forums about her when she rocketed to stardom. Her producer produced Sharon Jones and the Daptones as well and I felt that in the end they were a better group because I could see where Ms. Winehouses habits were leading her very early on. Her story is as old as music itself and so very, very sad.

Worf

DNO

One Too Many
"V for Vendetta" - I love this film I think it's one of the most significant films of the last 10 years and I love it so much I bought it! Masterful in all aspects I consider it an under rated masterpiece.

Worf

Definitely an underrated film...and I bought it too! Always enjoy watching it. Certainly better than most films in the last 10 years.

cm289

One of the Regulars
Despite its failings, it would have been nice to see Gittes vs. Gittes, the third installment, come to fruition.

True that. I'd stand in line willing to plunk down $9-12 bucks to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"St. Vincent." Was it mawkish, cliched, predictable and too-polished - yes. Should I have enjoyed it - no. Did I - yes. Why - Bill Murray. I'll admit that I thought nothing of him in the '80s (too slapstick for my taste), but he has proved me very wrong over the ensuing decades. He engages in a role with an intensity that works (he's not a laid back actor). And he has that something that all the very good ones have - you want to see them on screen / you care about what happens to them.

The story is conventional, but his relationship with his overly aware, mature-beyong-his-years neighbor's boy (I said it was cliched) is the core of the movie and works - you can feel the boy gaining confidence from Murray and Murray reconnecting to life through the boy. The supporting cast all do a very good job - Melissa McCarthy underplays her role well for a change, Naomi Watts was enjoyable, other than watching her have a bit of a struggle with the Russian accent and Chris O'Dowd was fun as the almost manic priest. But it is Murray's movie and he carries it forward through dint of will and personality.

It's a fun hour-and-a-half diversion that rises a bit above its off-the-shelve construct.
I finally had the opportunity to watch St. Vincent last night, and I agree with your summary. They definitely checked all of the boxes on the "How to write a movie about a friendship between a drunken curmudgeon and a young boy" form, but for me the performances put this one above most movies of this type.

cm289

One of the Regulars
I thought the first half was great. It was amazing on the big screen. The 2nd half was just okay- I feel focused too much on Charlize and they didn't give enough attention to Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner