Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

I thought the first half was great. It was amazing on the big screen. The 2nd half was just okay- I feel focused too much on Charlize and they didn't give enough attention to Max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would wholeheartedly agree with that. Visually, it was entertaining. Actually, overall, it was entertaining. Nonetheless, I expected more.
:D

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I would wholeheartedly agree with that. Visually, it was entertaining. Actually, overall, it was entertaining. Nonetheless, I expected more.

Mad Max; Let's Drive Out Into the Dessert, then Turn Around and Drive Right Back!
Pointless.

Watched From Hell last night. Robbie Coltrane is great in that.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"White God" - A strange and captivating film from Hungary about a girl and her dog, her coming of age and his sentience. A cross between "My Dog Skip" and "Planet of the Apes". Strange and odd but totally engrossing. Available on Netflix...

Worf

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Sergeant Rutledge, directed by John Ford from a story (a novel?) by James Warner Bellah, and with Jeffrey Hunter and Woody Strode. A court-martial drama and a murder mystery (with a false solution and then the true one!) set in 1880s Arizona. Loved it, except that we needed one more scene where Sgt. Rutledge, after being declared innocent, speaks to Hunter's cavalry lieutenant (who defended him at the court-martial) and either thanks him explicitly, or does so in some other way.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sergeant Rutledge, directed by John Ford from a story (a novel?) by James Warner Bellah, and with Jeffrey Hunter and Woody Strode. A court-martial drama and a murder mystery (with a false solution and then the true one!) set in 1880s Arizona. Loved it, except that we needed one more scene where Sgt. Rutledge, after being declared innocent, speaks to Hunter's cavalry lieutenant (who defended him at the court-martial) and either thanks him explicitly, or does so in some other way.

Seen it many times Kudos to Ford for telling the Buffalo Solider story BEFORE it was popular to do so.

Worf

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Mad Max: Fury Road. Loved it and will own it. Should've seen it at the theatre, but not enough time pre-deployment. Hopefully someone will do a revuew of all of the films (even Thunderdome!).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The 1956 Helen of Troy, DVRd from TCM.

An odd production, made in Italy by American director Robert Wise, with a mostly British cast... and two beautiful but terrible actors in the leads as Helen and Paris. Like other film/TV versions, it's not especially faithful to the Iliad or the story generally. It has its moments, especially in the cast-of-thousands battle scenes (so much better than today's CGI battles), the Trojan Horse and sack of Troy, and the scenery chewing from some great Brit character actors (Sir Cedric Hardwicke as Priam, Stanley Baker as Achilles, Torin Thatcher as Ulysses, Robert Douglas as Agamemnon, Niall MacGinnis as Menelaus, etc.) But it's not exactly a good film.

Not really a movie, per se, but I found a DVD at the thrift store of old (really old, like some from 1914) animated shorts called "Weird Cartoons". These are the sort of things that would have been shown before a movie in theatres back in the day. There were old Disney, Warner Brothers, and Max Fleischer shorts among them, and all silent. I thought this might have some appeal to the audience here, and that some might find it interesting, and appreciate, that my kids (ranging in age from 2 to 11) sat transfixed throughout the whole thing. I guess it speaks to the timelessness of these old films.

Mad Max: Fury Road. Loved it and will own it. Should've seen it at the theatre, but not enough time pre-deployment. Hopefully someone will do a revuew of all of the films (even Thunderdome!).

I really wanted to like it more. I enjoyed it. I was excited for it, but it needed more for me to gush about it. Still, I hope for a sequel.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
A documentary on 9/11. My daughter (who is 15) wanted to watch it to understand more about what happened. Educating the next generation about this horrific tragedy is the key to never forgetting.

A documentary on 9/11. My daughter (who is 15) wanted to watch it to understand more about what happened. Educating the next generation about this horrific tragedy is the key to never forgetting.

I cannot watch anything about that day. The memory is so fresh that there is no feeling of "history" to it, it is just a painful reliving. But I greatly respect what you are doing with your daughter. What struck me when I read your post is that in ten to fifteen years, we will have an entire generation of young people in their twenties for whom 9/11 is something they've only read about.

Growing up, Pearl Harbor was visceral, emotional and real to my Dad. He knew life changed - his / America's - the moment he heard the radio announcement. I always respected his feelings and I understood them somewhat more as I got older and learned the history and culture surrounding that moment. But unfortunately, it took 9/11 for me to understand completely how he felt.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I cannot watch anything about that day. The memory is so fresh that there is no feeling of "history" to it, it is just a painful reliving. But I greatly respect what you are doing with your daughter. What struck me when I read your post is that in ten to fifteen years, we will have an entire generation of young people in their twenties for whom 9/11 is something they've only read about.

Growing up, Pearl Harbor was visceral, emotional and real to my Dad. He knew life changed - his / America's - the moment he heard the radio announcement. I always respected his feelings and I understood them somewhat more as I got older and learned the history and culture surrounding that moment. But unfortunately, it took 9/11 for me to understand completely how he felt.

This is it exactly. When the anniversary of 9/11 comes around, it is, for us, like the anniversary of Pearl Harbor for the WW2 generation. And as the years have gone by, we remember it less and less. Which is why I'm 100% committed to remembering those anniversaries and indeed, all of the major anniversaries of American history: the beginning of the American Revolution, the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the beginning and end of the American Civil War, etc., etc.

I was very pleased that my daughter's photojournalism teacher focused the entire class on 9/11. None of her other teachers even mentioned it.

Just started watching "Triple Cross" on DVR delay from TCM today - "based on" a WWII spy story. Fifteen minutes in, looks good so far. Very '60s James Bond in style so far.

I was very pleased that my daughter's photojournalism teacher focused the entire class on 9/11. None of her other teachers even mentioned it.

As Fading Fast was struck so were the teachers with whom I work. Our clientele were toddlers when 9/11 occurred. As a school we observed and focused our classes on the importance of the events of this day and their effects on the world since. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner