Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

To continue my Hitchcock marathon, I watched North by Northwest and am now watching Notorious.

Have you watched "Suspicion," it is one of my absolute favorites even though they completely messed up the novel? Hitchcock makes it so that you enjoy the characters and the journey so much, that you really don't care if the stories make sense or not - that is quite a feat.

Watched a movie "De-Lovely" basically a biography of Cole Porter with his marriage as the focal point. A really good 1.5 hour movie that was 2.5 hours long - some real editing was needed, but still a good movie. Kevin Kline and Ashley Judd are outstanding in the lead roles and the music is basically enjoyable if you like his stuff (I'm a marginal fan at best, but can appreciate it). The period clothes, cars, furniture and sets are outstanding.

FF, caught that a few weeks back as well. Enjoyed the story even though I'm not a huge fan of his music either. Always been a fan of Klines. Porter was a complicated man.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Have you watched "Suspicion," it is one of my absolute favorites even though they completely messed up the novel? Hitchcock makes it so that you enjoy the characters and the journey so much, that you really don't care if the stories make sense or not - that is quite a feat.

Oh, yes! I own the DVD. :D I know the original ending, of Cary Grant being the villain and attempting to murder his wife, didn't go over well with test audiences, so they changed it to what it is now. And I have to say, it's slightly disappointing because all the signs point to Grant being the baddie and then suddenly, he's not. However, I'm a sucker for stories with happy endings, so I'm not THAT disappointed.

Last night I ordered six more classic movies on DVD:

The More the Merrier (1943)
To Have and Have Not (Bacall and Bogart)

And then a four-disc compilation of Bacall movies:

Blood Alley
Key Largo
Dark Passage
Designing Woman

Oh, yes! I own the DVD. :D I know the original ending, of Cary Grant being the villain and attempting to murder his wife, didn't go over well with test audiences, so they changed it to what it is now. And I have to say, it's slightly disappointing because all the signs point to Grant being the baddie and then suddenly, he's not. However, I'm a sucker for stories with happy endings, so I'm not THAT disappointed.

Last night I ordered six more classic movies on DVD:

The More the Merrier (1943)
To Have and Have Not (Bacall and Bogart)

And then a four-disc compilation of Bacall movies:

Blood Alley
Key Largo
Dark Passage
Designing Woman

Nice purchases. Although, I always want "Designing Woman" to be a better movie than it is. All the ingredients are there for a very good mid-'50s style battle-of-the-sexes movie, but somehow it doesn't really work the way those Rock Hudson - Doris Day movies do (or the Hepburn - Tracy ones do from, oh, three decades).

Re "Suspicion:" I don't think there is a scene in that movie I don't enjoy, but I particularly like the one where they all have dinner at the author's house. It has a very inside-baseball feel that you know the author loved writing. And the opening scene on the train is a wonderful moment where the ridiculous concept of a mousey Joan Fontaine is almost believable.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Finished watching "Triple Cross -" 1966 movie with Christopher Plumber staring as the WWII spy who played for both sides (maybe) or mainly for himself (probably). It was directed by Terence Young who directed several of the early Bond films and you can see him trying to make Plumber into a Bond-like character.

While parts were engaging, overall the super-spy thing didn't work as it felt forced and even unintentionally campy at times. That said, Gret Frobe (Auric Goldfinger to most of us) does an outstanding job as a German officer as does the always good Trevor Howard as a British spymaster.

If you go in knowing you are watching an uneven movie, you will probably enjoy the parts that work enough to make it worth the 2+hours.

I caught this as well. Plummer wasn't too bad as a poor man's Bond, but the similarities were annoying to me. As someone who doesn't mind a little sex in my films I felt these scenes were forced and ill timed. Not the worst I'd ever seen but it could've been much better if it weren't so derivative.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to seeing Kingsman! I enjoyed even more than I expected to! I love it! I so regret not catching this one in theaters.

Seems reviews around here fall into one of two camps... "love it" or "loathe it", not much in-between. I recommend folks see it for themselves, I thought it was brilliant, perverse and fun.

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Woman in Gold. Tremendously well done. Helen Mirren is fantastic (as usual!).

"Sixty years after fleeing Vienna, Maria Altmann (Helen Mirren), an elderly Jewish woman, attempts to reclaim family possessions that were seized by the Nazis. Among them is a famous portrait of Maria's beloved Aunt Adele: Gustave Klimt's "Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I." With the help of young lawyer Randy Schoeberg (Ryan Reynolds), Maria embarks upon a lengthy legal battle to recover this painting and several others, but it will not be easy, for Austria considers them national treasures."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Nice purchases. Although, I always want "Designing Woman" to be a better movie than it is. All the ingredients are there for a very good mid-'50s style battle-of-the-sexes movie, but somehow it doesn't really work the way those Rock Hudson - Doris Day movies do (or the Hepburn - Tracy ones do from, oh, three decades).

Re "Suspicion:" I don't think there is a scene in that movie I don't enjoy, but I particularly like the one where they all have dinner at the author's house. It has a very inside-baseball feel that you know the author loved writing. And the opening scene on the train is a wonderful moment where the ridiculous concept of a mousey Joan Fontaine is almost believable.

I haven't seen any of the films on my list (except for Key Largo, though only saw it once) so I'm anxious to watch them.

That is one of my favorite scenes, too, where they're at the dinner party. :)

Woman in Gold. Tremendously well done. Helen Mirren is fantastic (as usual!).

"Sixty years after fleeing Vienna, Maria Altmann (Helen Mirren), an elderly Jewish woman, attempts to reclaim family possessions that were seized by the Nazis. Among them is a famous portrait of Maria's beloved Aunt Adele: Gustave Klimt's "Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I." With the help of young lawyer Randy Schoeberg (Ryan Reynolds), Maria embarks upon a lengthy legal battle to recover this painting and several others, but it will not be easy, for Austria considers them national treasures."

+1 (somewhere in this thread I posted my positive comments on this one right after I saw it). I was impressed with how well Reynolds did.

I totally forgot about the stings. [emoji3]...
I just had to laugh at how blatantly obvious they were. Really? The crew couldn't take 5 minutes and at least try to paint them the same color as the background? lol

...It's this subtle lack of cgi that that make these films so lovable to me.
I agree. If someone chose to re-make that movie today, it's very likely they would use CGI to transform them into the cave-dog, cave-dragonfly, and cave-man, and it probably wouldn't look that much better. As someone on another forum commented during a discussion about CGI, "It still looks fake, it just looks fake in a way we're not used to yet." And I have to agree. Well done effects work regardless of whether they're CG or practical, and poorly done effects look fake no matter what they do. [huh]

I'll take the wires over poorly done CGI any day.
And while we're on the no-cgi, you-can-see-the-wires subject, yesterday afternoon I looked at "Attack of the Monsters" a.k.a. "Gamera vs. Guiron" (1969) with my youngest son. At age 4, he's already quite the connoisseur of daikaiju.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Finally got around to seeing The Imitation Game. A brilliantly fantastic film! Pure 10/10! Would highly recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it yet!

...And while we're on the no-cgi, you-can-see-the-wires subject, yesterday afternoon I looked at "Attack of the Monsters" a.k.a. "Gamera vs. Guiron" (1969) with my youngest son. At age 4, he's already quite the connoisseur of daikaiju.
I think I was about that age when I saw my first Godzilla movie. Of course, there were only six of them at that time. lol

Finally got around to seeing The Imitation Game. A brilliantly fantastic film! Pure 10/10! Would highly recommend to anybody who hasn't seen it yet!

Could not agree more. Well done, strong story, well acted and beautiful sets, clothes cars. Proof that a quality picture can still be made today.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Because I had never seen it before and because I've heard so much about it, I decided to watch The Big Lebowski last night with hubby. I am still not sure what, exactly, the point of that movie is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner