Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

"The Age of Adeline" short review: It is a big ball of romantic cheese that I have to admit I thoroughly (and embarrassingly) enjoyed.

Longer review comments with some *spoilers*: The premise - Adeline, owing to some quirky events involving cold water and lighting - doesn't age and from the early part of last the Century on has been permanently twenty nine years old. This sets up some odd practicalities - such as keeping it a secret to maintain a normal life, changing identities over time to align her age to her appearance and managing friendships and relationships.

But the story is really a love story - or two love stories: one of Adeline having to forgo a love in her past knowing she would not age and ultimately it would be destructive and the other, set in present day, where a still beautiful and young, but emotional worn out, lonely and sad Adeline is, unbeknownst to herself, ready to risk her privacy and security to find love and companionship.

The story moves back and forth through time as the different parts of her long life are filled in while we see her dealing with her present day challenges. All this takes place in a gorgeously filmed movie - period sets, modern sets, clothes, cars, colors, tones are all stunning and evocative of both the other-worldliness of the story and the overhang of the her past. I would not have enjoyed this movie without this visual appeal.

So as not to give too much away, the denouement of the movie pivots around a connection between her present pursuit of love and her past failure in a reasonably predictable, but still enjoyable-to-watch, manner.

A surprise (to me) appearance by Harrison Ford adds some gravitas as does Blake Lively's outstanding performance. This is her movie and she carries the big ball of cheese along with poise and talent. I am looking forward to seeing her in other movies.

Beautiful to see, romantic to the extreme, and silly at its core - it all worked for me in a way that does not make me proud - but what the heck, it was a movie I enjoyed not physics (although, there is some very cheesy physics thrown in the movie).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen The Age of Adeline yet, but I wonder what it says about our current society that so many films/books with similar premises to this one have proliferated: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Time Traveler's Wife, About Time, Forever, Winter's Tale, Only Lovers Left Alive, etc. (I could surely come up with more if I did a little research.)

Not that time vs. love isn't a venerable, established trope, but that so many recent stories depict either relationships made difficult by unusual time/aging disruptions, or (conversely) relationships triumphing over temporal limitations, must be expressing some particular contemporary anxiety. Hmm, somebody needs to write an article about this...

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Age of Adeline" short review: It is a big ball of romantic cheese that I have to admit I thoroughly (and embarrassingly) enjoyed.

Longer review comments with some *spoilers*: The premise - Adeline, owing to some quirky events involving cold water and lighting - doesn't age and from the early part of last the Century on has been permanently twenty nine years old. This sets up some odd practicalities - such as keeping it a secret to maintain a normal life, changing identities over time to align her age to her appearance and managing friendships and relationships.

But the story is really a love story - or two love stories: one of Adeline having to forgo a love in her past knowing she would not age and ultimately it would be destructive and the other, set in present day, where a still beautiful and young, but emotional worn out, lonely and sad Adeline is, unbeknownst to herself, ready to risk her privacy and security to find love and companionship.

The story moves back and forth through time as the different parts of her long life are filled in while we see her dealing with her present day challenges. All this takes place in a gorgeously filmed movie - period sets, modern sets, clothes, cars, colors, tones are all stunning and evocative of both the other-worldliness of the story and the overhang of the her past. I would not have enjoyed this movie without this visual appeal.

So as not to give too much away, the denouement of the movie pivots around a connection between her present pursuit of love and her past failure in a reasonably predictable, but still enjoyable-to-watch, manner.

A surprise (to me) appearance by Harrison Ford adds some gravitas as does Blake Lively's outstanding performance. This is her movie and she carries the big ball of cheese along with poise and talent. I am looking forward to seeing her in other movies.

Beautiful to see, romantic to the extreme, and silly at its core - it all worked for me in a way that does not make me proud - but what the heck, it was a movie I enjoyed not physics (although, there is some very cheesy physics thrown in the movie).

Ahh ya big softee! How many tissues didja go through????? Hmmm??? Henh???? Hmmm????

Worf

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

I had to choose between Woman in Gold and Age of Adeline yesterday when I went to pick out a movie - and it was hard to choose! I have wanted to watch Age of Adeline ever since I saw the previews. I'm so glad you liked it - and now I will have to hurry and watch it, as well!

Because I had never seen it before and because I've heard so much about it, I decided to watch The Big Lebowski last night with hubby. I am still not sure what, exactly, the point of that movie is.
I like The Big Lebowski but will readily admit that, like a lot of movies, there really isn't a "point". You're just dropped into The Dude's life for a few days to stumble along with him on his misadventure. Joel Coen has been quoted as saying, "We wanted to do a [Raymond] Chandler kind of story - how it moves episodically, and deals with the characters trying to unravel a mystery, as well as having a hopelessly complex plot that's ultimately unimportant." It's been called the first cult movie of "the internet era", and it's one of those movies that the "in crowd" (or whatever that's called these days) would probably describe dismissively by saying, "You either 'get it', or you don't."

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen The Age of Adeline yet, but I wonder what it says about our current society that so many films/books with similar premises to this one have proliferated: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Time Traveler's Wife, About Time, Forever, Winter's Tale, Only Lovers Left Alive, etc. (I could surely come up with more if I did a little research.)

Not that time vs. love isn't a venerable, established trope, but that so many recent stories depict either relationships made difficult by unusual time/aging disruptions, or (conversely) relationships triumphing over temporal limitations, must be expressing some particular contemporary anxiety. Hmm, somebody needs to write an article about this...

This is a great observation, and one I agree with. Even Taylor Swift has a new video out that's set in the glamour of old Hollywood (and features Clint Eastwood's son).

[video]https://youtu.be/IdneKLhsWOQ[/video]

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I like The Big Lebowski but will readily admit that, like a lot of movies, there really isn't a "point". You're just dropped into The Dude's life for a few days to stumble along with him on his misadventure. Joel Coen has been quoted as saying, "We wanted to do a [Raymond] Chandler kind of story - how it moves episodically, and deals with the characters trying to unravel a mystery, as well as having a hopelessly complex plot that's ultimately unimportant." It's been called the first cult movie of "the internet era", and it's one of those movies that the "in crowd" (or whatever that's called these days) would probably describe dismissively by saying, "You either 'get it', or you don't."

I had read that quote about them trying to do a Chandler-type story, and I suppose to a certain extent they achieved their goal.

I think "we," "society" knows something is wrong today, knows we are on the wrong trajectory, but doesn't know what is wrong. Hence, the yearning for something - mainly in the past (since our course doesn't look good) - that is better. I think you would do an outstanding job writing an article on this - I'd love to read it.

Ahh ya big softee! How many tissues didja go through????? Hmmm??? Henh???? Hmmm????

Worf

I admitted I wasn't proud. It wasn't that I was so touched (I'd say it if I was), I just thought it was beautifully filmed and I cared about what happened to Blake Lively's character. I knew I was being manipulated, but enjoyed it anyway. I will say, though, I could not stand the male lead - he felt fake as a character (too perfect to be three dimensional) and cardboard as an actor.

I had to choose between Woman in Gold and Age of Adeline yesterday when I went to pick out a movie - and it was hard to choose! I have wanted to watch Age of Adeline ever since I saw the previews. I'm so glad you liked it - and now I will have to hurry and watch it, as well!

"Woman in Gold" is a far superior movie - it's a real movie. "Age of Adeline" is very enjoyable cheese.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Currently watching The Devil's Brigade. One of my fave World War II movies. I know it's a fictionalized account of the 1st Special Service Force, the joint American-Canadian commando unit, but it's great fun.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
One I have been after for some time. Classic French horror
Photo20on2017-09-201520at2009.19_zps11lxgxav.jpg

Just fantasy when this was made, now a real hope for those disfigured beyond repair. Just that now we like our donors to be dead rather than shanghaied.

[video=youtube;g3KvO2xyPbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KvO2xyPbo[/video]

While I saw "Bridget Jone's Diary -" other than the silly fight scene, I was bored throughout. That said - and I hate this, but it's true - I enjoyed "The Notebook," and man am I not proud of that. But none of these movies make me cry, but they can make me feel good - I escape to a fake world of fake niceness and happy endings. But it is hit or miss - many of these movies I can't stand, but once in a awhile, like with "Age of Adeline" or "The Notebook" it just hits the right cord.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
While I saw "Bridget Jone's Diary -" other than the silly fight scene, I was bored throughout. That said - and I hate this, but it's true - I enjoyed "The Notebook," and man am I not proud of that. But none of these movies make me cry, but they can make me feel good - I escape to a fake world of fake niceness and happy endings. But it is hit or miss - many of these movies I can't stand, but once in a awhile, like with "Age of Adeline" or "The Notebook" it just hits the right cord.

The Notebook hits me in the gut so hard that I can only watch it once a year or so. I am one of those people who feels so intensely that even sappy commercials make me cry. Believe me, I don't enjoy it. There's probably a long, complicated word for it or a good German word. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner