Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Why do chicks like to watch sad movies??? Just wondering. I hate chick-flicks!

Probably for the same reason guys like to watch action flicks like The Expendables and the Die Hard movies (although I couldn't even make it through the first 10 minutes of the last Die Hard movie - so, so horrible).

And to be fair, I love watching action movies, too. :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
While I saw "Bridget Jone's Diary -" other than the silly fight scene, I was bored throughout. That said - and I hate this, but it's true - I enjoyed "The Notebook," and man am I not proud of that. But none of these movies make me cry, but they can make me feel good - I escape to a fake world of fake niceness and happy endings. But it is hit or miss - many of these movies I can't stand, but once in a awhile, like with "Age of Adeline" or "The Notebook" it just hits the right cord.

I can't comment, since I have never watched either movie.

Ah! I'll have to use this from now on. ;)

Last movie to watch: Key Largo

Liked it the first time I saw it (and had that stupid song lyric about Bogey and Bacall playing in my head), but have seen it several times since and have grown to love it. It's more a play than a movie - almost all the action takes place in the house - where the characters develop over time and the tension builds in part do to the forced proximity. And it is a movie proudly about values, philosophy, ideas and ideals - as many film noir ones were, but this one is not only cynical, it's nuanced, sometimes preachy, but overall it works. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Liked it the first time I saw it (and had that stupid song lyric about Bogey and Bacall playing in my head), but have seen it several times since and have grown to love it. It's more a play than a movie - almost all the action takes place in the house - where the characters develop over time and the tension builds in part do to the forced proximity. And it is a movie proudly about values, philosophy, ideas and ideals - as many film noir ones were, but this one is only cynical, it's nuanced, sometimes preachy, but overall it works. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

I need to watch it again. I got distracted last night and couldn't give it my full attention! I will watch it again soon and let you know my thoughts. :) I do love Edward G. Robinson in it, though.

One I have been after for some time. Classic French horror
Photo20on2017-09-201520at2009.19_zps11lxgxav.jpg

Just fantasy when this was made, now a real hope for those disfigured beyond repair. Just that now we like our donors to be dead rather than shanghaied.
Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes Without A Face) was on TCM three or four nights ago. Interesting, but I don't speak French (it was subtitled in English) so I think I may have missed something because I was unable to pick up on the inflections in the dialogue.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Les Yeux Sans Visage (Eyes Without A Face) was on TCM three or four nights ago. Interesting, but I don't speak French (it was subtitled in English) so I think I may have missed something because I was unable to pick up on the inflections in the dialogue.

We get TCM in the UK, would the listings be different in the USA to ours?
If you are not into reading the subtitles I think you may miss out on some great films. Many dvd's have the option of dubbed English(Usually American accents)
J

cm289

One of the Regulars
Libeled Lady on VUDU. Now it's on to The Thin Man.....loves me some Myrna Loy and William Powell[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libeled Lady on VUDU. Now it's on to The Thin Man.....loves me some Myrna Loy and William Powell[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always want "Libeled Lady" to be better than it is. I enjoy the five lead actors but the movie doesn't fully work for me - it feels disjointed and too slapstick for me to really enjoy it - but I want to. But "The Thin Man" is a treat through and through - enjoy.

We get TCM in the UK, would the listings be different in the USA to ours?
That had never occurred to me, but after comparing the listings on TCM's U.S. and U.K. websites that appears to be the case.

If you are not into reading the subtitles I think you may miss out on some great films. Many dvd's have the option of dubbed English(Usually American accents)
J
I don't have a problem reading subtitles. In fact, most of the time my brain somehow combines the words I'm reading and the inflections in whichever language is being spoken; it's almost as if I'm getting an instantaneous foreign language lesson. But, for whatever reason, that didn't happen this time; too many distractions in the house that day, I think, so I couldn't give the movie my full attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR