Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We had a special show this afternoon of "In the Street," the legendary 1948 short film by the New York street photographer Helen Levitt. A fascinating, haunting look at the world of working-class kids playing in the streets of Harlem. I had no idea you could have so much fun filling old stockings with carpenter's chalk and hitting passers-by with them, and now I feel I really missed out.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Golightly said:
I believe there is a Hollywood remake on the way that will star Daniel Craig and Carey Mulligan (rumoured). Why oh why do all these great movies have to be remade by Hollywood?!

Because Americans HATE subtitles. And while they are at 'remaking' a modern film (dont get me started), they'll go on and change it, you know, 'tweak' the story (dumb it down). Thereby insulting the original source material, the original film version of the movie, and the American audience whom they believe won't read subtitles.

And they might throw a vampire in there for focus group's sake.

LD

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Lady Day said:
Because Americans HATE subtitles. And while they are at 'remaking' a modern film (dont get me started), they'll go on and change it, you know, 'tweak' the story (dumb it down). Thereby insulting the original source material, the original film version of the movie, and the American audience whom they believe won't read subtitles.

LD

I'm afraid you're right, Lady Day. That's why, after having read the book and now watched the movie for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I'm very, very leery of any attempt Hollywood will make to re-create it. Wish they would leave well enough alone.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:

LD

So true. It reminds me also of the people who refuse to watch ANY black & white film as they are deemed "boring". Seriously.......

The Crazies - I can't explain how bad this movie was.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
816.jpg

vintage68

Practically Family
Miss Golightly said:
So true. It reminds me also of the people who refuse to watch ANY black & white film as they are deemed "boring". Seriously.......

The Crazies - I can't explain how bad this movie was.

I thought that The Crazies was actually pretty good for a zombie movie. I mean, it was a zombie movie...[huh]

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
vintage68 said:
I thought that The Crazies was actually pretty good for a zombie movie. I mean, it was a zombie movie...[huh]

Yes - however there are good zombie movies and bad zombie movies and for me The Crazies falls into the latter.

There were a handful of shocks in it but a fair few plot holes or perhaps poor editing and mediocre acting from the leads - particularly Timothy Olyphant (I kept being dazzled by his veneers) - no real chill factor. I thought it was pretty untidy overall.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Father of the Bride (1950) with Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett, Elizabeth Taylor, and a host of stars too numerous to recite. One of my all time favorite movies, along with Adam's Rib, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, All About Eve, et cetera. This viewing was a little more enjoyable this time as I am about to be the father of the bride.

Edward

Bartender
Wally_Hood said:
Father of the Bride (1950) with Spencer Tracy, Joan Bennett, Elizabeth Taylor, and a host of stars too numerous to recite. One of my all time favorite movies, along with Adam's Rib, Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, All About Eve, et cetera. This viewing was a little more enjoyable this time as I am about to be the father of the bride.

Was the Steve Martin vehicle a remake of this?

Miss Golightly said:
Yes - however there are good zombie movies and bad zombie movies and for me The Crazies falls into the latter.

There were a handful of shocks in it but a fair few plot holes or perhaps poor editing and mediocre acting from the leads - particularly Timothy Olyphant (I kept being dazzled by his veneers) - no real chill factor. I thought it was pretty untidy overall.

I should own up that I have not yet seen either this, or, for that matter, the original, however.... IMO zombie films are like Elvis impersonators: you can't lose - either they're great, so they're great fun, or they're hilariously awful, so they're great. I have approaching fifty zombie-related DVDs in my collection, so I do consider myself to be something of an expert on the formula... lol

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Edward said:
Was the Steve Martin vehicle a remake of this?

I should own up that I have not yet seen either this, or, for that matter, the original, however.... IMO zombie films are like Elvis impersonators: you can't lose - either they're great, so they're great fun, or they're hilariously awful, so they're great. I have approaching fifty zombie-related DVDs in my collection, so I do consider myself to be something of an expert on the formula... lol

Yes, sort of. I haven't seen it, really, just parts on television.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Golightly said:

I like The Crazies. I pop it in when I want background noise. I like the two main characters. One thing I dont like about the remake is making the military this unapologetic blanket evil to rival the virus.

Did you see the original? It was not as much for the visual horror as it was for the process behind containing it. But Romero is always about that in his movies.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner