Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Watched a couple of great films this week on DVD. Firstly, Let the Right One In, a Swedish horror which is really a very sweet story about adolescence and first love, the protagonists being a twelve year old boy who is the victim of bullies, and the little vampire girl next door. Excellent stuff. I think there may have been a Hollywood remake already, though I'd hate to see what they would have done to it... Last night, I finally saw (for the first time, shamefully) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. A truly stunning piece; a dread a remake with the inevitable reworked 'happy' ending....

Rocketblast said:
Having watched The Man Who Knew Too Much and Rear Window in the last week I now want to watch all of my JS faves - Harvey, It's A Wonderful Life and Mr Smith Goes to Washington are probably on the top of my list. Anatomy of a Murder might be up there too with the Shop Around the Corner.:)

If you don't have 'em on DVD already, check Sainsburys. Just this week I picked up a four DVD box set of Jimmy Stewart, including ...Life and Mr Smith..., along with two others, the names of which elude my addled brain just now, for a tenner.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
For the first time, I had watched the critically acclaimed Chinatown (1974), starring Jack Nicholson as the private detective, J.J. Gittes, and directed by... Roman Polanski. It was a great film, very thought provoking and it had some witty dialogue, and the story was well put together. Was this based on an earlier book, per chance?

I think this one's going into my personal Top 25.

StetsonHomburg

Practically Family
The Godfather for the litterally 9th time this summer! :D

I always seem to get an amazingly powerful feeling from
the movie and its songs, it is a masterpeice and I just love
the people like Michael with his love for Kay yet his ruthlessness
and disregard for the lives of his enemies!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
StetsonHomburg said:
The Godfather for the litterally 9th time this summer! :D

I always seem to get an amazingly powerful feeling from
and disregard for the lives of his enemies! The first time I saw it
I was extemely moved!
I watched it again the other day because someone told me that something orange always appears, before someone dies in that film, and i never knew that, it's true! Great film regardless, one of my favourites.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I bought a boxed set of Cary Grant films at the weekend most of which are excellent.

I watched Night and Day last night, however which has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. So bad it is funny. Bears no relation to the life of Cole Porter whatsoever...

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
AntonAAK said:
I bought a boxed set of Cary Grant films at the weekend most of which are excellent.

Which films? And can you report the 'Darling' factor for each of them?;)
Me & him indoors like to predict how long it'll be before he calls his leading lady 'darling' (usually within 2 seconds of the first clinch), and then give the film a darling factor for the general amount of darlings throughout the film.

Which comedian was it that did a Dirty Harry/Cary Grant thing: "Do you feel lucky? Well do you.... darling?"
lol

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Rocketblast said:
Which films? And can you report the 'Darling' factor for each of them?;)
Me & him indoors like to predict how long it'll be before he calls his leading lady 'darling' (usually within 2 seconds of the first clinch), and then give the film a darling factor for the general amount of darlings throughout the film.

Which comedian was it that did a Dirty Harry/Cary Grant thing: "Do you feel lucky? Well do you.... darling?"
lol

Arsenic and Old Lace
North by Northwest
Night and Day
Destination Tokyo

plus a 90 minute biog documentary. Not bad for 8 quid. (in HMV)

I shall watch again with the 'Darling Factor' in mind and report back...

JackLondon

New in Town
"The Human Condition". A very long film, but worth the time put in. A study of Japanese WWII guilt.

“It’s not my fault that I’m Japanese . . . yet it’s my worst crime that I am!”

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Four Christmases with Reese Whitherspoon and Vince Vaughn. Funny in spots, but the characterization could have been a lot better.

StetsonHomburg said:
The Godfather for the litterally 9th time this summer! :D I always seem to get an amazingly powerful feeling from
and disregard for the lives of his enemies! The first time I saw it
I was extemely moved!

All 3 have been playing on "This TV" network showing a lot of films mosty only so-so. in LA it's open air 5.2 for the antenna users here.

In 2 Connie finally understands Michael and says: "You were only being strong for the family like Poppa would."

Tiller

Practically Family
VitaminG said:
watched Up! with the kids tonight

The opening is always sad - a couple's entire life together is all spent up in 11 minutes.

Pixar is a great treasure, and Up! is a great movie, and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like Ed Asner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart