Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Edward

Bartender
Sincerely-Dee said:
I just re-watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" for the first time in years.

You a Sainsburys shopper, by any chance? I jsut bought it on DVD in there for £3 last week...

Thursday night I watched Juno - wonderful film. One of the few recently-made films I've seen that genuinely - for me at least- captured what being a teenage kid is like. In the early hours of this morning I chanced across Roman Polanski's Pirates. Made in 1985, but it has the feel of something thirty years older. A fun romp.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Last night, Pinky, with Jeanne Crain, Ethel Waters, and Ethel Barrymore. Directed by Elia Kazan, released two years after Oscar-winning Gentlemen's Agreement, this took on racism, as the former took on anti-semetism. Pinky is a light-complected African-American who is taken for white when she goes to nursing school in "the North." She returns home, and having experienced several years of being accepted for who she is, and not on her color, she struggles against the bigotry endemic to her home town.

This morning, City in Darkness, a Charlie Chan mystery set in Paris on the eve of the Munich Conference. The special feature about the propaganda aspect of the film is very informative.

There is no Number Two Son, and Charlie only sort of solves the mystery. Leo G. Carroll is billed without the middle initial, and Lon Chaney, Jr. plays what I think is a non-speaking role; he seems to serve only as a big guy who's the muscle for the brains. Oddly, both are not in the opening credits, but show up in the closing credits.

Octavia

Familiar Face
VitaminG said:
watched Up! with the kids tonight

The opening is always sad - a couple's entire life together is all spent up in 11 minutes.
That little montage in the beginning gets me misty-eyed every time.

I watched "Now, Voyager" for the first time last weekend. It has secured its place among my favorites.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Had a bug for a few days.. so why not catch up on some movies!

I started with It Happened One Night, followed by Out of the Past.

I started watching Leatherheads, but the kids eventually woke up and begged me for Young Indiana Jones...So we watched Daredevils of the Desert and Attack of the Hawkmen.

I also watched Black Dalia again.... My wife hates it, because she hates Scarlet... Jealous?:eusa_doh:

Any opinions on Black Dalia?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
My daughter and I went to Cats and Dogs II. I didn't have high hopes since the last one was pretty corny, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was quite good - and very cute!

Edward

Bartender
Tried watching M*A*S*H last night, but the DVD will have to go back as it's faulty. Bum. Great film (even though I prefer the TV series); hard to imagine now how fresh it must have been in that era of the "goodies and baddies", cowboys and Indians approach to WW2 films.

BogartsHat

New in Town
K.D. Lightner said:
Last night, I watched the DVD of Key Largo. Nothing good is ever on TV on Saturday evenings, mother complained, so I got out my DVD collection and we watched that vintage film, from when my mother was still in her 20's.

I was seeing it for the second time, mother for the first. She enjoyed the film, especially the excellent cast: Bogart, Bacall, Edward G. Robinson, Claire Trevor, Lionel Barrymore.

Hard to believe she never saw these films, but father was a tight-wad and did not take her to many movies once they were married. Last week my 88-year-old mother saw Casablanca for the first time!

I've watched those films numerous times, especially Casablanca which is my all-time favorite. You should see it on the big screen. Whenever a movie theatre shows it in my area, my daughter and I make a point to attend. There's just something about Bogart and Bergman at 30 feet tall. Super cast. S.Z. Sakall is one of my favorites, too.

My recent movie viewing consisted of several Agatha Christie films, Murder On The Orient Express (1974), And Then There Were None (1945), and a great Russian version, Ten Little Indians (actually Desyat Negrityat) (1987) which is wonderfully almost identical to the novel, plus Death On The Nile (1978) and the recent Poirot films on PBS.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
"Touch of Evil". ABC1 here put it on late last night and we stayed up to watch it. I've seen it a few times before and even studied it as part of one of my masters papers, and I still love it. Stunning acting and brilliant camerawork and direction. Superb.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
There was a double-bill of Hitchcock/Ingrid Bergman films on TV at the weekend - Spellbound followed by Notorious. I have seen both before and was busy so didn't watch them all the way through... and was slightly confused when I got back from the supermarket and Ingrid was smooching with Cary Grant as when I left she was smooching with Gregory Peck!
Good work Ingrid!:eusa_clap

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
"Went the day well", last night at the Rex.

Went-The-Day-Well-006.jpg

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Tried watching M*A*S*H last night, but the DVD will have to go back as it's faulty. Bum. Great film (even though I prefer the TV series); hard to imagine now how fresh it must have been in that era of the "goodies and baddies", cowboys and Indians approach to WW2 films.
I've got a couple season of M*A*S*H on my shelf and throw a disc in when there's nothing else I want to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters