Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Road to Hong Kong (1961), the last Road film from Hope and Crosby. Dorothy Lamour shows up towards the end, sings, and tries to bail out the boys. It is very much in the Road formula: Hope the gullible fall guy, Crosby the smooth schemer, jokes about Hope's nose and Crosby's age, etc.

Edward

Bartender
Total Recall was on the television again last night. I always did enjoy that - it was one of a handful of great films Arnie did that I think doesn't always get the full credit it deserves due to him being perceived as a guy who stars in dumb action films. (The Running Man was another great one, even if I wish it had stuck closer to the book on which it was based.)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Total Recall was on the television again last night. I always did enjoy that - it was one of a handful of great films Arnie did that I think doesn't always get the full credit it deserves due to him being perceived as a guy who stars in dumb action films. (The Running Man was another great one, even if I wish it had stuck closer to the book on which it was based.)

Agreed...this is one of those movies that was not taken for the genius it is...based on the reputation of the stars in it...

The other one in this category for me is 'Demolition Man' with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock, Wesly Snipes..etc... Totally brilliant and forward looking sci-fi that was done in a humourous manner, and so got no credit.

Edward

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Agreed...this is one of those movies that was not taken for the genius it is...based on the reputation of the stars in it...

The other one in this category for me is 'Demolition Man' with Sylvester Stallone and Sandra Bullock, Wesly Snipes..etc... Totally brilliant and forward looking sci-fi that was done in a humourous manner, and so got no credit.

Yes, that was a fun one too. I loved the idea of the 'oldies' being all ads /commercials - nice comment on where our (then twentieth century) society is / was headed...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Yes, that was a fun one too. I loved the idea of the 'oldies' being all ads /commercials - nice comment on where our (then twentieth century) society is / was headed...

and it was made before.....yet manages to mention...

'all restaurants are Taco Bell'....(Taco bell, pizza hut and KFC are now all one company....coincidence? hah)

and the 'Arnie' presidental library....(again not quite true...but not nearly as farfetched as it sounded in the film)

signs of true glimmering genius those...

Edward said:

Total Recall is a fun movie. The vision of a future world that is similar to ours, the stark & utilitarian architecture, the gritty and seedy side are all given an interesting part of the make up of the film the locations are like another key character in the film. I read that the concrete hotel where Quaid get the suitcase is an actual location in Mexico someplace and the film crew refered to the style as Neo-facism. The story is an "average" joe is suddenly thrust into a strange situation of being on the run and doesn't know who to trust is familiar but given new twists in TR. Once the action starts it doesn't let up and like an onion the revelations come as each layer gets peeled back.

It may fit the bill as being a Sci-Fi Film Noir / plus action film. It has mystery, a bad situation that gets terrifyingly worse, it's not his fault, a dangerous woman, hypnotic drug scenes, and a strange hyper real- not real - you don't know what is real quality to it.

The soundtrack is compeling, I have it on CD and the house booms with the opening theme at least a few times a year.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
Nothing But the Truth (1941)

Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard and Willie Best who starred in The Ghost Breakers (1940) are together again. This time Hope makes a bet with his boss (Edward Arnold) to tell the truth for 24 hours. I'd never seen this one before and was quite pleased. Personally I think Hope's best movies were made in the early 40's.

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Mike1939 said:
Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard and Willie Best who starred in The Ghost Breakers (1940)

Ah that's one of my favorites! Great radio version from The Screen Director's Playhouse as well. :)

I'm watching It Happened One Night. Netflix has some great classics streaming right now.

MCPRE

Familiar Face
Millers Crossing is one of my favorite gangster movies - "la Schmatta", I dont know the actors name but the heavy set fellow with the chubby little boy was fantastic in that movie, the way he would drop his jaw with a look of contemplation was classic. All of the actors were great in that one.
I finally saw Benjamin Button the other night and I knew I would probably like it but I was very impressed with it, what a great story. A classic for all times!
I also just saw the Wolfman and was pleased with it also, I liked the fact that it was a "wolf/man just like the old version.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Changeling with Angelina Jolie. Somebody here may have mentioned it, I often add movies y'all mention to my Netflix que.

Awesome! Visually stunning, well written and acted and there was at least some measure of justice. One fashion comment, I really like those style of hats she was wearing. I don't know what they're called, but I think they are very elegant and feminine looking. I've seen modern versions on occasion, and although not as prominent, they still look very stylish.

changeling.jpg

57plymouth

One of the Regulars
Watched 300 last night.

Pretty good. My history major wife kept asking if it was accurate, then went and looked it up. I had to keep reminding her that it was based off a comic book, not a history book.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
Lady Day said:
Moon

Again. I love everything about that movie.

LD
great movie. I thought I was so clever when I "worked it out" about 35 minutes into the movie (IIRC) - about 30 seconds before Sam Rockwell's character did. lol lol And then it turns out that that wasn't "it" anyway. Brilliant movie. I need to buy that one.

Last night's viewing - Barton Fink

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
Thistleclover said:
Today is Norma Shearer day on TCM! So I will soon be able to add "The Divorcee" and "Riptide" to my list of movies I've seen.

The Divorcee is one of my favorite Shearer films!

And funny you should mention it, it's on the TCM Forbidden Hollywood DVD collection, and I watched another from the collection today.

Night Nurse w/ Barbara Stanwyck 1931

And tonight I watched Imitation of Life, the original w/ Claudette Colbert and Louise Beavers 1934

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24