Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Feraud

Bartender
The Train with Burt Lancaster was on last night. Enjoyed it.
From my library I pulled The Stranger with Orson Welles and EG Robinson. A very good thrilller if you've not seen it.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not everyone's thing, but I really do love Japanese animation. Most go for the imaginative mind of Hayao Miyazaki, but I enjoy the work of Makoto Shinkai as well.

I didn't get to finish the movie earlier, but I finished it just moments ago.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days a.k.a. Beyond the Clouds, Our Promised Place.

If you're interested, here's the trailer with the English subtitles. I like watching it for the music and imagery, they real know how to make a trailer :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVAMNeJGTw

Miss sofia said:
The Big Lebowski, as i'm house sitting and that's all they had that was worth watching, great film, very amusing, Jeff Bridges is always a pleasure to watch!

Always a fun film. It got a big dicussion in one of the film noir threads as it is a modern film noir detective story. As I recall the Coen brothers talked about how they came up with the idea for this while working on Miller's Crossing. It has some of the classic noir elements one of which is an un-real quality. With the drugged scenes and unconscious scenes echos similar scenes in noir.

Edward

Bartender
Churchill: The Hollywood Years. Engagingly awful; about enough plot to sustain thirty minutes, really. Harry Enfield was wonderful, though, as the King.

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
I watched 'Nine' at the weekend. I really like Marion Cotillard, who is in it alongside loads of others including Daniel Day Lewis, Sophia Loren and Penelope Cruz. I thought she was great as Edith Piaf and I loved the way she looked in Public Enemies although the film was so difficult to watch I find it hard to comment on her role... Looking at her filmography I remember her in 'A Good Year' and see that she was also in 'Big Fish' and 'A Very Long Engagement' but I don't remember her particularly. Any others I should look into?

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I had the opposite reaction

vintage68 said:
Went to see The Girl Who Played with Fire, the move adaptation of Stieg Larsson's book. Excellent, as was the first movie adaptation.

I just cringe when I think Hollywood is making their own English language version (La Femme Nikita anyone?). But then again, if anyone can pull it off, David Fincher can.

After seeing TGWTDT, I thought to myself "Hollywood can't improve on this, they'll just screw it up". After seeing the second film, I thought "Hollywood better get busy, someone needs to do this project right".

The two leads are superb, as in the first film, but the movie looks like it was filmed quickly, with a movie-of-the-week budget. For some reason the original director was replaced for this project, to its detriment. The pacing is frenetic, characters are introduced only to disappear, and the cinematography is pedestrian. Zala's makeup is terrible, not realistic at all - like he was made up by the Little Theatre makeup lady.

I realize that the second book is much more complex than the first, which made it harder to transfer to film. Still, this effort disappointed me.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Salty O'Rourke said:
After seeing TGWTDT, I thought to myself "Hollywood can't improve on this, they'll just screw it up". After seeing the second film, I thought "Hollywood better get busy, someone needs to do this project right".

The two leads are superb, as in the first film, but the movie looks like it was filmed quickly, with a movie-of-the-week budget. For some reason the original director was replaced for this project, to its detriment. The pacing is frenetic, characters are introduced only to disappear, and the cinematography is pedestrian. Zala's makeup is terrible, not realistic at all - like he was made up by the Little Theatre makeup lady.

I realize that the second book is much more complex than the first, which made it harder to transfer to film. Still, this effort disappointed me.

I saw the first one and loved it, but I haven't heard good things about the second Swedish installment.

Daniel Craig is cast as Blomvkist (sp?) and I think he'll do a superb job.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
I just saw TGWTDT the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it to my surprise. I was leary when I heard there would be a hollywood version, but I'm curious to see how Daniel Craig does with the part.

Watched 'Harry Brown' tonight. It was a very good movie, but as a warning, those not from the UK might have difficulty with the accents at times.

jillybeanlynn

Familiar Face
I just watched In the Mood For Love [Wong Kar Wai] again.

Every time I see it, I am blown away by the cinematography and production value. The camera practically dances through the scenes! Also love the story.

I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. It's on the slow side with pacing, but worth it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The American.

It was pretty good. Decent story filmed on location in Italy. And, there was a love scene that had my GF gettin' all frisky. Oh to have been in a sparsely populated balcony of those old movie palaces of my youth; :p rather than a jam-packed cineplex.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy