Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Black Swan is the next film.
The Chicago Joffrey Ballet's Victoria Jaiani danced the The Dying Swan last fall
at the Museum of Contemporary Art as part of the Chicago Dancing Festival; after
archival film footage of Anna Pavlova's original performance had been screened,
illustrating the evolution of artistic movement, technique, and psychological interpretation.
Natalie Portman's protagonist in Black Swan apparently delves deeper within her self
to achieve artistic perfection at some personal cost.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Two out of three ain't bad...

Black Swan spoilers ahead - as if I could spoil this mess any more than the director did...

Movie marathon this weekend, saw three new flicks on the big screen:

The King's Speech - very enjoyable, good period piece with very good performances.

The Fighter - Great fight film, Christian Bale proves his versatility yet again. Nothing to complain about here, script and performances are top notch.

The Black Swan - big disappointment. Every bit as cliched, predictable and manipulative as any Friday the 13th/Freddy Kruger flick. It must be the professional ballet backdrop that's swaying so many theater-goers into gushing over this film - you could easily change the setting to a summer camp full of nubile teenagers (instead of a ballet company full of nubile dancers). Barbara Hershey interprets Nurse Ratchet pretty well as the overbearing stage mother. In my opinion the audience should have been kept in the dark a LOT longer re Nina's cracking up....and the music is strictly "ooh, it's building to a scary crescendo - something must be about to happen". Save your money.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
On New Year's Eve, we watched Salt with Angelina Jolie. It kept me interested, but to tell you the truth, I was still disappointed.

Watched Napoleon Dynamite again. That movie never gets old.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Paramount's Dark City (1950) with Charlton Heston (in his first lead as an adult), Lizabeth Scott, Viveca Lindfors, Don DeFore, Dean Jagger, Jack Webb (in perhaps his nastiest role), Henry Morgan, and (just barely) Mike Mazurki. Great cast in interesting story of a vet (Heston) who, since his wife cheated on him during the war, has shut himself up emotionally (particulary from Scott, who fawns all over him...), and has turned to a life in the underworld (working for a bookie). He is party responsible for the suicide of DeFore because of a (unbeknownst to Heston) rigged card game, and spends most of the film trying to amend for his part in the events, while keeping on the run from DeFore's crazed brother who is on a murder spree. Although directed by William (Wilhelm) Dieterle, with good photography and good performances by most of the cast, the film suffers from too much singing (Scott being dubbed), and a not too imaginative story-line (the ending is rather a bit too pat). I do recommend it, though, for Heston's and Jagger's performances, Lindfors' subtle beauty (even dressed as suburban mom), some well-down process screen shots of L.A. and Las Vegas, and a certain amount of tension that the plot produces.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The Screaming Skull (1958)
X
BD

Is that the movie where a guy is trying to get a woman to have a nervous breakdown, and this skull keeps popping up in doorways or corners of rooms? It's been a very long time since I watched it (I think I have the DVD somewhere) but as I recall it was horrible! :lol:

Cheers,
Tom

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Union Station (1950) with William Holden and Nancy Olson, who are also matched in Sunset Boulevard. Cool climatic setting in the municipal tunnels set under the downtown streets. Had heard about them but had never seen any until this movie.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Union Station (1950) with William Holden and Nancy Olson, who are also matched in Sunset Boulevard. Cool climatic setting in the municipal tunnels set under the downtown streets. Had heard about them but had never seen any until this movie.

Man, I want to see that film...Are there a lot of shots of L.A.? Weird thing is, although it takes place around what is obviously Union Station, Los Angeles, I've seen from a short clip that the film also shows elevated train stations (from Chicago), something which L.A. didn't have at the time. Yes, those tunnels still exist, just that their "mouths" have been covered. The old Belmont station tunnel (connecting Union-Pico with Glendale) was, for many years visible, cordoned off by a wire fence. I was many times tempted to hop said fence and venture inside, but didn't feel like setting myself up for a head-bopping by some local gang. It now is covered up by an apartment complex, but there is part of it which (if memory serves me) is still visible.

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I recently acquired Netflix and as my first film I watched the Iron Giant. What a great film, and it is animated! The time period setting, the emotional investment of the characters and the jokes... everything is great about this movie and it is a wonder that I do not own it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner