Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The Big Knife feels like a filmed play, with heavy-duty acting all around. Steiger has great moment when he says something like, "Excuse if I close my eyes, it helps me to see better."

I agree with you that it does seem like a filmed play (it was written by Clifford Odets so may well have been on the stage previously - I think it's hard to make a movie out of what was originally a play) .

LD & Lolly - I don't think Black Swan has anything to do with Suspiria - I have seen the latter and it was quite good and a lot scarier than Black Swan. BS is about a ballerina striving for perfection and the lead role in Swan Lake who starts to lose her grip oln reality.

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
"The Doorway To Hell." Made in 1930 staring James Cagney and Lew Ayres. Cagney's first Gangster picture. a lot of great hats. It appeares to me that hats from the 1920s and 1930's had tall crowns with a wide ribbon and short brims.

Regards

Kirk H.

ronymark

Banned
Last Movie I watched was Red. I watched RED. Red is based on a graphic novel by the great comic book author Warren Ellis. Red is mind blowing action film. Comedy is refreshing and action and stunts are impressive. Actors that makes this film worth seeing.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Buck Privates (1941)

I'd forgotten how much fun Abbott & Costello's first movie was. TCM got hold of an unusually good print. The peacetime draftee atmosphere of "sham battles," flimsy-looking light tanks, and everybody but the Andrews Sisters in a smokey hat is quaint now - but livened up by some real vaudevillian, 20-gag-a-minute energy.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
On Sunday evening I took a friend to see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film. Tremendous fun. Comparing it to the previous three, it is closest in spirit to the first (Curse of the Black Pearl), with the added bonus of losing the weaker characters, especially Kiera Knightley. Highly recommended - I just wish dear Keith Richards had a longer cameo.

Just got home from seeing this one.

Enjoyed it MUCH more than the previous two. Johnny Depp is just a joy to watch for me & it was refreshing to not have Orlando or Kiera in the mix to be annoying. Always love seeing Keith Richards & also wish Dame Judy Dench could've had a longer cameo. ;) Too bad this wasn't the follow up to the first film.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967). Possibly one of my top five favorite films of all time, and maybe even features my favorite movie hat as well.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Last night I foolishly started watching "Apocalypse Now Redux" (the extended version mind you!) 203 minutes of a great sheen/brando movie but I pay for it today with frequent yawns and dark bags!

At 5 the same morning I tried to get through "High Sierra" < one of my favourites! But unfortunately didn't make it, I woke up at 7 with a puddle of pomade and drool under my face apparently watching Bosley infomercials.

Edward

Bartender
Just got home from seeing this one.

Enjoyed it MUCH more than the previous two. Johnny Depp is just a joy to watch for me & it was refreshing to not have Orlando or Kiera in the mix to be annoying. Always love seeing Keith Richards & also wish Dame Judy Dench could've had a longer cameo. ;) Too bad this wasn't the follow up to the first film.

Yes. I liked the second two well enough, and while I suspect the original trilogy was planned as such and the actors were under contract, they would indeed have been better served to write out Orlando and Knightley after the first one.

djd

Practically Family
Do recall something about them doing more scenes with Bogart and Becall after the success of To Have and Have Not? I think The Big Sleep was filmed first but released after? I could have just dreamt the whole thing....

Do recall something about them doing more scenes with Bogart and Becall after the success of To Have and Have Not? I think The Big Sleep was filmed first but released after? I could have just dreamt the whole thing....

To Have and Have Not was released first and established the interplay that the audience loved. I am not sure as to the exact filming dates but I recall that the Big Sleep was held for a while in the can. Several people including Becalls manager wanted some scenes between her and Bogey at his office changed to resonate more of the interplay like the other film. A hat with a veil was changed and dialogue was changed. Also there are some scenes that were removed or changed that included the Captain and I think the DA. The woman that played Eddie Mars wife was changed at some point too.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Yes. I liked the second two well enough, and while I suspect the original trilogy was planned as such and the actors were under contract, they would indeed have been better served to write out Orlando and Knightley after the first one.

I agree, but I guess I can't dislike the whole series, since I own the "trilogy". Felt the writing was rushed & resulted in an incomplete story, really. I know "Stranger Tides" had a new director. Makes me wonder if this latest one had different writers, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails