Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Philip Adams

One of the Regulars
'Invaders from Mars' (1953)

Got to love those 50s sci-fi classics! Even if they were pretty rubbish films.

I can't understand is why kids, usually with names like Jimmy, were so central to movies of this era.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have a weakness for Eva Green.:eek:

[video=youtube;iexMJrBzZtA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iexMJrBzZtA[/video]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Last night, Holiday Inn (1942) with Bing and Fred. It's the colorized version, and even though I am resolutely against colorization, this is an exceptional example of really good work, and as it's Christmas, the season makes me friendly and hospitable.

Not a Christmas movie, exactly, but it has the introduction of "White Christmas," it begins on Christmas Eve, and sort of resolves on Christmas Eve, with the final wrap-up on New Year's Eve. I include it in my Christmas movies watching tradition. My wife and I sing along and call out bits of dialogue~

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Here Is My Heart," a long-thought-lost Bing Crosby feature for Paramount from 1934. It's typical of the films Bing made before he became a National Institution, in his buh-buh-boo crooner phase -- thin plot, amusing supporting characters, and lots of really good songs. Kitty Carlisle appears as a haughty Russian princess Bing woos in order to get possession of a rare dueling pistol she owns, and William Frawley is Bing's bumbling press agent. The plot, as always, is just an excuse for the tunes, and this picture features three of Robin and Rainger's best, "With Every Breath I Take," "June in January," and "Love Is Just Around The Corner," the latter done as a very engaging duet with Marian Mansfield, whose career lasted about five minutes in 1934, but who had a real chemistry with Bing and should have worked with him more. (Probably Dixie Lee found out about the chemistry and put a stop to it.)

I could watch these mid-thirties Crosby features every day of the week. Great little pictures that show how a real entertainer can entertain with no superfluous razzle-dazzle whatever.

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Finished watching the 1950 version of Treasure Island on Hallmark just a little bit ago. Treasure Island is one of my most favorite books, and the 1950 movie is, in my opinion, one of the best adaptations. The best portrayal of Long John Silver (again, in my humble opinion) was by Brian Blessed in the Disney mini-series Return To Treasure Island.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
The 1950 adaptation of Treasure Island is that the one that had the actor Robert Newton playing the role of Long John Silver?

DesertDan

One Too Many
"The Whisper In Darkness" the newest production from the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society and movie I have been looking forward to for years! http://www.cthulhulives.org/Whisperer/bts.html

They did an incredible job. If you are a H.P. Lovecraft fan their website is much fun and their various adaptations in the format of radio plays and of course their first movie "The Call Of Cthulhu" are wonderful.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/toc.html

Cheers!
DD (HPLHS fanboy :D )

JAVIER

Practically Family
It doesn’t “feel” like Christmas until this Frank Capra film has been watched...It's a Wonderful Life!!!
its_a_wonderful_life_002.jpg
its_a_wonderful_life_004.jpg
its_a_wonderful_life_003.jpg
its_a_wonderful_life_005.jpg

“Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.”

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner