Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Razzman

One Too Many
Larceny Inc. with Edward G. Robinson. The Turner Classic Movies channel via my local Cable Co. for an additional $5 was definately a worthwhile investment.

I love Impact. (You forgot to mention the Chinese maid, Anna May Wong, who turns in important evidence at the end...) Brian Donlevy and Helen Walker are great in their roles, and the guy who plays Torrance has a great head-on collision ("AHHH!" he screams, while putting his hands up to his face) with William's '48 Packard and a big rig, resulting in a huge fireball! That's not your lobby card, is it? They're not cheap...

Gee, now you ruined the story for everyone. :p I didn't want to give the whole thing away.
That Packard was a nice car to be blowing up like that. I had to yell noooooooo, even though I wanted the guy to go Boom!:p

The Cocoanuts
(Paramount, 1929)

3_1.jpg

[video=youtube;1EOoGKsqRBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EOoGKsqRBw[/video]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Impact:
Impact.jpg

The story had more twists and turns than whirly gig.

"Millionaire industrialist Walter Williams has a young wife, Irene, who is trying to kill him with the help of her young lover, Jim Torrance. The plan falls apart when Williams survives a hit on the head from the would-be killer. Torrance flees the scene in Williams' car but dies in a head on collision. At this point, it is believed that Williams was the driver.
The dazed Williams ends up in a small town in Idaho. He gets a job as a service station mechanic and falls in love with Marsha, the station's owner. Meanwhile, the police arrest Williams' wife for his "murder." Marsha eventually persuades Walter to go back to clear his wife, but he is charged with the murder of the lover. That leaves Marsha and a kindly police detective named Quincy scrambling to prove his innocence."

I agree that the story has lots of twists and turns; it's almost like they are trying to tell three or four stories in one movie. Reminds me in a distant way of Out of the Past: big city guy in small town with a romance angle with small town girl except big city guy has amnesia.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Last night rented War Horse. Again, it seems like they were telling multiple stories without letting us engage with a main character. Yes, I did snooze through part of it, but Mrs. H liked it. Did Spielberg lift the scarlet-background-with-silhouetted-figures-in-front set up at the end from Gone With the Wind? And the part where Joey the horse is lead down the trench and the soldiers rise up as he passes is certainly a homage to the ending of Billy Jack with the people rising to their feet as the car taking away Billy Jack passes by.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I agree that the story has lots of twists and turns; it's almost like they are trying to tell three or four stories in one movie. Reminds me in a distant way of Out of the Past: big city guy in small town with a romance angle with small town girl except big city guy has amnesia.

Also reminds me of Double Indemnity, but with a reverse twist.

Last night rented War Horse. Again, it seems like they were telling multiple stories without letting us engage with a main character. Yes, I did snooze through part of it, but Mrs. H liked it. Did Spielberg lift the scarlet-background-with-silhouetted-figures-in-front set up at the end from Gone With the Wind? And the part where Joey the horse is lead down the trench and the soldiers rise up as he passes is certainly a homage to the ending of Billy Jack with the people rising to their feet as the car taking away Billy Jack passes by.

How I missed that, I don't know. Now I have to see it somehow...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Saw Cold Comfort Farm for the billionth time. 1996 version with Kate Beckinsale (quite probably the only decent movie she's made, certainly the only good one I'm aware of), Rufus Sewell and Ian McKellen. Hard to believe it was a made for tv film!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'm a Janeite, I'm a fan of Andrew Davies' work, live by his Pride and Prejudice, and I've never heard of this production! Just checked out the cast, will have to view it.

In film, the 1995 Gwyneth Paltrow version is my favourite.

Pearl Harbor, Miss Kate notwithstanding, remains to me two hours of my life I'd like back...

I actually liked her in Emma...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I'm a Janeite, I'm a fan of Andrew Davies' work, live by his Pride and Prejudice, and I've never heard of this production! Just checked out the cast, will have to view it.

In film, the 1995 Gwyneth Paltrow version is my favourite.

Hard to believe that you've missed that one, old boy, but I think you'll like it. The Davies version of P&P is my favorite, although the 1980 TV version with Elizabeth Garvie is also up there (I think that David Rintoul's interpretation of Darcy is actually a bit truer to the novel than Firth's) . I haven't seen the Paltrow "version" yet, but I do also like the 2009 version with Romola Garai, although she was a bit too animated at times for the role...

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Haunted Honeymoon. 1986. So terrible it’s funny. Grew up with a tape of it that I’d watch over and over. Dom DeLuise in a dress cracks me up.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
A Clocwork Orange - First time I saw the whole thing on DVD with great extras. Particuarly liked the backstory of Kubrick, the backlash, him pulling the film from distribution in England only (they actually showed the film outdoors on the quad at Syracuse University in 1974 the first time I ever heard of the film - I didn't watch though). Great DVD from Netflix, great movie.

Worf

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
That's one of those I thought was so great & entertaining when I first saw it once at 3am...

Not so much in the light of day...
I actually saw it in the theater when I was a kid. Excellent over the top cheesiness!

Oh yeah... I followed it up with another 80's great.... Buckaroo Banzai, Adventures in the 8th Dimension.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy