Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Bridesmaids - Ended up watching this as the movies available in our hotel in Berlin were pretty limited - wasn't as coarse as I thought it was going to be (some scenes were rather gross) - some funny moments but overall standard RomCom fare.

The Rite - only so-so.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I normally like Judd Apatow films, but this one didn't do anything for me. I really can't believe all the praise it received.

I know! All the critics were raving about it and it got so much column space - apart from the gross scenes at the beginning it just became so average - we all knew how it would pan out - nothing would set it apart from a million other romcoms bar the revolting scenes at the dress shop. Just thinking about that scene....ick!

rue

I know! All the critics were raving about it and it got so much column space - apart from the gross scenes at the beginning it just became so average - we all knew how it would pan out - nothing would set it apart from a million other romcoms bar the revolting scenes at the dress shop. Just thinking about that scene....ick!

Yes.... definitely ewwww....

Have you seen Knocked Up?

Feraud

Bartender
I normally like Judd Apatow films, but this one didn't do anything for me. I really can't believe all the praise it received.
Agreed. A mediocre film at best.
There is a real dearth of humor in American films nowadays. Most rely on scatological, pointless foul language to hide the lack of comedy. Sometimes it works but Bridesmaids seems forgettable.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have to agree, I found Bridesmaids massively underwhelming when I finally saw it. This is a great leap forward in female-centric romantic comedies?!? Some of the performances were good, but it was remarkably unmemorable.

Frankly, I've been pretty disappointed in nearly every Apatow production. Some of them work to an extent (like Knocked Up and Forgetting Sarah Marshall) - often due more to the performers than the scripts - but many of them just leave me cold. The only one I absolutely love is Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, which hilariously demolishes every musical biopic cliche in existence with laser-guided precision.

Feraud

Bartender
I have to agree, I found Bridesmaids massively underwhelming when I finally saw it. This is a great leap forward in female-centric romantic comedies?!?
Apparently the highly acclaimed female comic performances have shifted from the cutsie tripping, and or bumping into something (Of which I think Kate Hudson has made a career of..) to the scatological humor.

The only one I absolutely love is Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, which hilariously demolishes every musical biopic cliche in existence with laser-guided precision.
I am with you there Doc! Is it strange that I consider Walk Hard one of my top two favorite musician bio pics?? While Walk Hard lampoons musical bio genre it also shows a good deal of sentiment about the genre. The film has a great soundtrack too..

Feraud

Bartender
I liked both of them. I think Funny People is one of his best though, despite Adam Sandler being in the movie.
Adam Sandler is one of those guys I've never found funny. I've tried to sit through his films to give him a chance but the guy does absolutely nothing for me. While watching him I've found my ability to enjoy comedy decrease..

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I also liked Funny People, and it deserves some credit for aiming higher. And I don't have a problem with Adam Sandler... except that he so rarely makes an effort to play anything other than his usual childish a-hole characters. When he tackles something more serious - as in Reign Over Me - he does fine.

Feraud

Bartender
To be fair Sandler was tolerable in Punch Drunk Love but that was a loooong time ago.. We can probably attribute that to PT Anderson's writing and directing than anything Sandler contributed.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Yes.... definitely ewwww....

Have you seen Knocked Up?

I did see it and didn't think much of it. I knew the film-makers would have a field day with the myriad of bad taste jokes that can be made about pregnancy - really not my thing at all.

Also, having the rather one dimensional Katherine Heigel in the lead didn't really add to the cinematic experience! ;)

rue

Adam Sandler is one of those guys I've never found funny. I've tried to sit through his films to give him a chance but the guy does absolutely nothing for me. While watching him I've found my ability to enjoy comedy decrease..

This film is different and not his usual childish humor. You might want to give it a chance :)

I also liked Funny People, and it deserves some credit for aiming higher. And I don't have a problem with Adam Sandler... except that he so rarely makes an effort to play anything other than his usual childish a-hole characters. When he tackles something more serious - as in Reign Over Me - he does fine.

I haven't seen Reign Over Me, but I think I'll give it a go.

I did see it and didn't think much of it. I knew the film-makers would have a field day with the myriad of bad taste jokes that can be made about pregnancy - really not my thing at all.

Also, having the rather one dimensional Katherine Heigel in the lead didn't really add to the cinematic experience! ;)

I thought Katherine Heigel was okay in the movie, but I'm pretty sure it will be her last film with him anyway considering the fact that she didn't exactly have nice things to say about it.

Edward

Bartender
Caught Young Guns II on the HBO channel available in the hotel here last night. Better than I remembered it being, despite that awful Jon Bon Jovi caterwauling over the end credits.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
One Day in September - Incredible documentary regarding the hostage taking at the Munich olympics - I had seen it when it was first released but found it still as horrible and shocking the second time around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace