Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Ladies.jpg

I watched Ladies They Talk About on On Demand the other night. Better than I remembered :D

The hubby is taking us to see Prometheus tomorrow afternoon. Not my type of movie, but I made him watch Barbara Stanwyck (which really isn't a chore for him since he has the hots for her...lol)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're showing "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" as our annual summer-solstice special a week from tomorrow, and I just finished previewing it. This is one of those pictures that can only be properly appreciated on the Big Screen, so if anyone's up our way next week, come see it.

Watching this film for the first time in several years, I noticed how much of it was shot on location -- and for the first time on the Big Screen, it struck me how much detail of everyday life in 1963 could be seen containing leftovers from the Era -- you'll see wide-brimmed hats on some of the characters, the occasional candlestick or 202-style telephone, every now and then a 40s-vintage car (Phil Silvers' con-man character drives a dingy 1947 Ford, the sort of thing you'd find for a hundred dollars on any used car lot of the time.) Not at all the glossy Mad Men image of the late-JFK era, which makes a film like this that much more valuable in documenting how people really looked and lived in the time shown.

Those who wonder what kind of panty girdle Ethel Merman wears will have several opportunities to identify it -- I'll leave that to them, however.

Last edited:
We're showing "It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World" as our annual summer-solstice special a week from tomorrow, and I just finished previewing it. This is one of those pictures that can only be properly appreciated on the Big Screen, so if anyone's up our way next week, come see it.

Watching this film for the first time in several years, I noticed how much of it was shot on location -- and for the first time on the Big Screen, it struck me how much detail of everyday life in 1963 could be seen containing leftovers from the Era -- you'll see wide-brimmed hats on some of the characters, the occasional candlestick or 202-style telephone, every now and then a 40s-vintage car (Phil Silvers' con-man character drives a dingy 1947 Ford, the sort of thing you'd find for a hundred dollars on any used car lot of the time.) Not at all the glossy Mad Men image of the late-JFK era, which makes a film like this that much more valuable in documenting how people really looked and lived in the time shown.

Those who wonder what kind of panty girdle Ethel Merman wears will have several opportunities to identify it -- I'll leave that to them, however.

A lot of that was how it used to be out here until the hippies started showing up in droves.:eusa_doh:

Love that movie. My dad and I used to watch it as often as possible when I was a kid. For me, it is definitely a classic.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Of course my favorite seen is the Beech 18 flying through the billboard! The late Frank Tallman did the honors at almost 200mph and with inches to spare. They set the billboard up at the end of the runway so he could immediatly land. Good thing to, some one substituted the balsa wood for a really tough cloth, the only thing that saved Frank was a salvaged bullet proof wind screen they bolted inside the cockpit. The plane was junked! [video=youtube;WlC1Fboq5vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlC1Fboq5vI[/video]

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well I finally got a DVD of High Road to China. We settled in last night to watch it. Boy it has been a long time since I've seen this film. It was like watching it for the first time. It was really enjoyable and now I want to build a couple of model kits of the two Stampe SV.4C bi-planes and the Tiger Moth German mercenary plane.
500px-Vlcsnap2011063009h06m14.jpg
500px-Vlcsnap2011063009h36m13.jpg

Brian Blessed was his over the top usual. Loud and bombastic, those scenes in the tent reminded me of his character in Flash Gordon. And I forgot how good looking Bess Armstrong was, especially in an aviatrix outfit. Suited her well as did the time period. Shame she didn't do more films, she is a decent character actress. This is going to be one of those films that gets pulled out every couple of months to watch when one is in a mood for vintage aircraft and adventure.
Now I need to collect Lassiter. Maybe next month.

Cheers!

Dan

themarilynadventures

New in Town
I saw Moonrise Kingdom last night. The way they tell the story is so unique. Clever, witty and exalts the joy of childhood! I would definitley recomend. Also great if you like 60's styling.

India
x

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
I saw Moonrise Kingdom last night. The way they tell the story is so unique. Clever, witty and exalts the joy of childhood! I would definitley recomend. Also great if you like 60's styling.

India
x

Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors. His career film catalog is filled with original ideas and concept not to mention humor. Can't wait to see this one.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Prometheus in IMAX 3D.
The Mask of Dimitrios is on deck for today. There's something about Peter Lorre that I really like, but can't identify...villainous quirkiness, maybe?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Gojira" - The original "un-cut" Japanese version that's as different from the Raymond Burr fiasco as night and day. This version pulls no punches and lays Gojira's mutation and appearence squarely at the feet of nuclear testing in the Pacific. This is no cutesee wootsee Godzilla either. This thing's a walking, stalking city destroying nightmare that sounds, looks and feels terrifying up until the jets attack and he starts flopping around those silly little arms. No this monster KILLS women and children, irradiates survivors, melts steel with atomic breath and is in all respects a bloody nightmare from hell. Great movie!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay