Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I think Jason is just as good as I remember... but allowances have to be made for its low budget and (primarily) sixties 10-year-old boy's adventure flick approach.

The hardest thing for younger folks (that is, people who weren't already out of college like me in 1977 when Star Wars changed the filmic landscape) to realize is that before that, with very rare exceptions, nearly all fantasy, science fiction, and comics derived films were LOW BUDGET JUNK. I know that for anybody under 40, this seems downright incredible, having grown up in an entertainment industry where fantasy/SF/comics properties always = hugely budgeted megafilms.

Anyway, Harryhausen's work largely overcame the low budgets and kiddie-film conventions of the films featuring his creations. They nearly always stood out from the vast array of schlock that constituted the fantasy/SF/comics ghetto. And one more thing, particular to Jason: it remains the smartest film ever made from Greek mythology. Harryhausen's later Clash of the Titans may have had a vastly larger budget and A-list movie stars... but it's actually a far more juvenile film than Jason. For example, the writing for Zeus and the Olympians is so much more mature and clever in Jason than Clash.

Anyway, along with arguably Harryhausen's greatest work and Bernard Herrmann's music, Jason benefits enormously from Beverly Cross's suprisingly literate script, which balances its juvenile adventure flick aspect with a smart meditation on the coming obsolence of the gods. If only today's films of that ilk (the Clash remake, Wrath of the Titans, Immortals, etc.) would put as much effort into their stories as their production design and effects, we might have a new winner. But for now, I'll stick with the old Jason!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Believe it or not considering a recent thread... Tom Cruise in "Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol". I actually liked it because he stepped back and went to the series roots wherein a TEAM accomplished the mission not a Bourne clone.

Worf

2075rami

One of the Regulars
Believe it or not considering a recent thread... Tom Cruise in "Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol". I actually liked it because he stepped back and went to the series roots wherein a TEAM accomplished the mission not a Bourne clone.

Worf

+1. Ghost Protocol was my far my favorite in the MI series thus far. I really liked that all of his gear kept crapping out on him at the most inopportune times. Of course MI 5 is in the pipeline, so Ghost Protocol may be dethroned!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Down Under, the long version. I'm a little biased, since I've owned a few Sharps rifles, including a extra Long range with Vernier tang sight and rechambered for 45-120. I still have a Long Range Vernier tang sight to fit a Remington Rollingblock, and a Winchester front windage sight with a spirit level.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
TCM is showing several Laurel and Hardy shorts this morning.
The first one was Helpmates, where Stan helps Ollie clean up the house after a party, before Ollie's wife comes in from out of town.
I'm sure this happened a lot in those days, but the house was actually built for that short, and built to burn down at the end.

2075rami

One of the Regulars
Stearmen, a 45-120?! That's a thumper of a cartridge! Talk about long range! How often did you actually shoot that one?

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Stearmen, a 45-120?! That's a thumper of a cartridge! Talk about long range! How often did you actually shoot that one?
Actually, I shot it quite a few times. It was useless at much under 500 yards. The recoil was deceiving, not much felt at the arm, but it would knock the front and back sight out of alignment with about every shot. If I did it again, I would do a Rollingblock in either 45-70 or 43-77 Spanish, black powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk