Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Night before last TCM had the 1934 French classic, "L'Atalante". Exquisite movie about a newlywed couple on a river barge in the Seine. Working class reality. Beautiful, beautiful movie.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wooden Crosses, France, 1932, directed and co-written by Raymond Bernard. Stunning film about the horror of The Great War. In French with subtitles. If you get a chance watch this. A powerful film, focusing on group of soldiers in a French regiment as the violence of the war increases and the men cope with the suddenness of death and the seeming pointlessness of the struggle.

The characters are not cardboard cut outs, but strongly drawn and recognizable personalities. What sets this apart from other films of that era was the breath-taking use of hand-held cameras during the battle sequences. Soldiers go in and out focus, figures dash across the field of vision, the camera swoops around in quick arcs so that the viewer is placed, as it were, in the middle of the chaos. Don't think of the "shakey cam" style in vogue for several years now; it's more real and less stylized.

There were a couple of sequences where the camera tracks at the end of a wave of soldiers advancing across no-man's land that made me think Kubrick must have seen this and used it in Paths of Glory.

From the Criterion Collection on Hulu.

celestial

Familiar Face
the-man-from-nowhere-poster-lg.jpg

Loved it.

DesertDan

One Too Many
The Ghost And The Darkness - I realize that the script may have only been in the same building as a history book but I still like this movie a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner