Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

9th Company

ninth_company_ver11_xlg.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The good old Russians have made some splendid war films. And continue to do so.

There's one you have to avoid (I can't recall the title at the moment). The DVD case just makes it appear like any other war film - then you watch and it involves time travel and doesn't make much sense. We checked it out online and discovered that the DVD sleeve notes hadn't bothered to mention it was a sequel. No wonder we were confused!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Brilliant film. A few weeks back I went in the pub where Jon Finch's character works. It had changed quite a bit (more's the pity).

I might watch it today, but last night when I got around to it, it was 10pm.
I'm not watching that at 10pm, and then letting my wife near my tie collection. :D

I also have Night Moves with Gene Hackman.
I'm on my 70's kick again. :p

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I got dragged... DRAGGED AH SAY, kicking and screaming to the local multi-plex last night to see "Best Man's Holiday". I don't usually watch such drivel. I didn't watch "Plaxploitation" in the '60's and view Tyler Perry like a bad case of scabies but I know a LOT of people, of all races, colors and creeds, like that brand of broad humor etc. I hadn't seen the original film and of course knew NONE of the backstory. But I figured what the hey, I can always use a laugh. Well I did get some laughs, Terrence Howard is the epitome of the lewd, pot smoking, foul mouthed friend that, if we've lived broadly enough, we're lucky to have in our lives. However these laughs were few and far between interspersed between tales of betrayal, lost love, tragedy, illness and death all played against a HOLIDAY backdrop!!!!! You find yourself laughing one minute, weeping the next, whipsawed worse than the "Tilt-a-Whirl" at Coney Island. Still in all it wasn't the worst 2 hours of my life ever spent at the movies. Hell I laughed a bit, cried some and left feeling entertained. Guess you can't ask for too much more.

Worf

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Night Moves (1975) with Gene Hackman and a very young Melanie Griffith, was really a good movie.
A few twists and turns, and a shocker at the end.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
Just finished watching the German movie "Barbara" Story about a woman doctor living in 1980 East Germany, and trying to escape to Denmark.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
My Father and the Man in Black
A great documentary of the untold story of 'bad-boy' Johnny Cash, his talented but troubled manager, Saul Holiff, and a son searching for his father in the shadow of a legend.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I watched Oklahoma over the weekend. It seemed odd that i'd never seen it before. As someone whose favourite films tend to be old british war movies, I have to admit that musicals are my guilty pleasure.
I had to laugh when Gloria Grahame sang I Can't Say No: I had a work colleague a few years back and if I asked him if he wanted to go for a beer at lunchtime (he was always unable to resist temptation) he'd sing back to me "I'm just a girl who can't say no ...." Which made me laugh but left everyone else perplexed.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The Town That Dreaded Sundown.
Yet another Charles B Pierce masterpiece.
Okay Legend Of Boggy Creek II wasn't a masterpiece, but the MST3K version was a riot.
Sadly, this one is au natural, without comments.

The Town That Dreaded Sundown.
Yet another Charles B Pierce masterpiece.
Okay Legend Of Boggy Creek II wasn't a masterpiece, but the MST3K version was a riot.
Sadly, this one is au natural, without comments.

Original Legend of Boggy Creek was one of my all time childhood favorites!

Just watched Captain Phillips again. Awesome movie.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Birds of Prey (1930)

Interesting background on one of the actors, Robert Loraine:

robert+loraine+2.jpg

He was at the end of a long theatrical career. His earlier military career was very interesting: Loraine served in the British Army during the Boer War, then trained as a pilot, serving in the First World War in the Royal Flying Corps and winning the Military Cross. He is also credited as being the first person to use the word 'joystick' to refer to an aircraft's controls.

rene_writer

Familiar Face
I just watched Populaire, a French, romantic comedy set in 1958. The costumes and sets were beautiful and for a vintage loving crowd like this almost worth watching for on their own. The story was only so-so. Cute sometimes, labored at others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy