Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Man there IS only one real version of this film. All due respect to Peter O'Toole.

Worf

Agreed it is a "stop and drop" (love that term) and, agreed, there is only one version. There is no reason to ever remake it. I know I posted earlier about it, but in the last few weeks I had a "stop and drop" moment with "12 O'Clock High." I was about to go out, was just flipping through the channels and came up it only ten minutes or so in. I sat down, started watching it and didn't stop till the final credit rolled by.

So that and Worf's "stop and drop" got me to thinking that there are some movies that just do that to you even if they aren't the best movies and some of the best movies that I appreciate aren't stop and drop movies. I will almost always stop and drop for "Jaws," any of the first three Bond films and "To Catch a Thief," but won't necessarily stop to watch "Citizen Kane," "Casablanca," or "On the Waterfront" which are all outstanding movies that I greatly enjoy. I need to be "in the mood" for the later, but just seeing the former ones puts me in the mood to see them.

Do others have movies like this?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Man there IS only one real version of this film. All due respect to Peter O'Toole.

Worf

That reminds me of a S&D movie with O'Toole. My Favorite Year (1982). It's never on the TV, but if I were come across it, everything else would have to stop.

As it turned out, I began working at NBC the year after the film was released, on the very floor where the studio action took place. It was very exciting to see my workplace 28 years prior to my being there.

What also fascinated me was the real-life basis for the plot, by producer Mel Brooks, who was 'there' back when he wrote for Sid Caesar's Your Show of Shows.

Last edited:
...Do others have movies like this?
Oh, absolutely! Jaws is one of my all-time favorite movies and it's definitely on my "stop and drop" list, along with the "original trilogy" Star Wars movies (Episodes IV, V, and VI for the uninitiated) and any number of classic horror movies. There are others, but these are the movies that come to mind at the moment.

And I have my "in the mood for it" movies as well, such as The Godfather, Casablanca, and The Maltese Falcon (though, admittedly, it doesn't take much for The Godfather to rope me in).

The truly silly thing is that I (and I'm sure most of us) have these movies on DVD or Blu-Ray and can watch them any time I (we) want to. But stumble across them while channel surfing, and we're like moths to a flame. [huh]

Last edited:
Oh, absolutely! Jaws is one of my all-time favorite movies and it's definitely on my "stop and drop" list, along with the "original trilogy" Star Wars movies (Episodes IV, V, and VI for the uninitiated) and any number of classic horror movies. There are others, but these are the movies that come to mind at the moment.

And I have my "in the mood for it" movies as well, such as The Godfather, Casablanca, and The Maltese Falcon (though, admittedly, it doesn't take much for The Godfather to rope me in).

The truly silly thing is that I (and I'm sure most of us) have these movies on DVD or Blu-Ray and can watch them any time I (we) want to. But stumble across them while channel surfing, and we're like moths to a flame. [huh]

Even worse, I have watched movies on commercial TV even though I own the disc and all I'd have to do is pop it in the DVD player to watch it commercial free. There is something about it "being on" that works. There is a line of argument in game theory that avers that human beings imbue more value to things done in a crowd (even a virtual crowd - as you know others are watching with you on their TVs). I'd hate to think that is why I watch a movie with commercials that I could easily just pop in, but I can't deny that I do it. And, yes, "Godfather I and II" are stop and drops in my book.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
The truly silly thing is that I (and I'm sure most of us) have these movies on DVD or Blu-Ray and can watch them any time I (we) want to. But stumble across them while channel surfing, and we're like moths to a flame.
You mean, the The Graduate?
Or how about Eight Men Out?
Either one are on my list.
I have both of them, in fact both are on Netflix/Amazon Prime whenever I want to watch them.
But if they come on tv, I've got to sit down and watch them.
Don't know why.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Green Lantern. I don't really understand the hate this movie gets. Sure, it's not great, certainly not as good as what Marvel's been producing. But, it's not bad. I was entertained, and I didn't hate any character I was supposed to like.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Lots to answer here.... Yeah I've tons of "Stop and Drop" movies... and yeah even if I OWN them I still stop and watch. Too many to list here. Nothing sillier or sadder (to the outside world) than a man sitting in his coat with his hat on, car keys in hand watching a movie he's seen a million times!!!!! I don't know if women are as easily distracted... or is it entranced as we mere mortals. Interesting to find out.

Worf

Huertecilla

Banned
As in going to the cinema:

The Act of Killing uncut version.
Went to see that ever so important but very upsetting one alone while my gf was out hopping terraces/restaurants.

The last one I saw in company was the Lars Von Trier 'Nympomaniac' sequence in uncensored directors cut.

Last Hollywood one I saw was Don Jon.

Thinking of going to see '9 Mois Ferme' by Dupontel which is said to be great for watching with a date and it is showing in the alternative cine in Malaga now.

Lots to answer here.... Yeah I've tons of "Stop and Drop" movies... and yeah even if I OWN them I still stop and watch. Too many to list here. Nothing sillier or sadder (to the outside world) than a man sitting in his coat with his hat on, car keys in hand watching a movie he's seen a million times!!!!! I don't know if women are as easily distracted... or is it entranced as we mere mortals. Interesting to find out.

Worf

You made me chuckle with the imagery - as I've sat with my coat on (usually for about a half hour 'till I've finally admitted to myself that I am going to watch this movie once again - and I'm normally starting to heat up as well) ready to go out in front of the TV (sometimes standing, as if to say, I'm only going to watch for another minute or so). And I don't think women have this disease as my girlfriend who love movies doesn't do the stop and drop (and thinks I'm a bit nuts when I do it).

Last edited:

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
You made me chuckle with the imagery - as I've sat with my coat on (usually for about a half hour 'till I've finally admitted to myself that I am going to watch this movie once again - and I'm normally starting to heat up as well) ready to go out in front of the TV (sometimes standing, as if to say, I'm only going to watch for another minute or so). And I don't think women have this disease as my girlfriend who love movies doesn't do the stop and drop (and thinks I'm a bit nuts when I do it).

No. Women do this too. My mother and I have done this multiple times! It's always movies she or I own, as well. lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Cruel Sea (1953). A film like this puts today's action movies to shame.

My favorite film covering destroyer action by the British in WWII. Far more believable than Noel Coward's "In Which We Serve". The Captain's transformation from a rather pleasant fellow to an obsessed "Ahab like figure" is one of the finest ever filmed Jack Hawkins did a fine job there as did the whole cast. No class affectations, no "three cheers for the King". When done it just ends with a whisper.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner