Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Speedy, 1928: staring Harold Lloyd. With a Cameo by, "The Sultan of Swat". I bet he was laughing at the bar that night! Probably said some thing like, "they paid me to be me, what a bunch of Rubes!"

Yes, lots of charcter. He was loyal to Moe and the Stooges until he had the stroke that made him wheelchair bound until his death...
It's sad that both Larry and Curly suffered strokes before they died, and that a massive stroke ended Larry's life. I guess getting hit in the head repeatedly really isn't good for you. lol

...He was in every show he could manage to be in and never complained about taking a smacking---like Curly Joe did---the big wuss...
And Joe Besser. Initially he refused to be hit because he was afraid of getting hurt, so Larry stepped up and took all of his slaps, eye-pokes, and what not. He eventually got comfortable after working with Moe and Larry for a while, and agreed to take his share of "abuse" once he saw how cautious they actually were about anyone getting hurt, but still...

...Larry you were a good man. RIP. You gave me many laughs during my childhood and still today when I view the masterpieces that still exist...
I concur. It's easy to see why people like "Moe the ringleader" and "Curly the lunatic", but Larry's performances were far more subtle most of the time so he didn't get noticed as much. It took me a long time to realize that, but once I did Larry became my favorite Stooge.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's sad that both Larry and Curly suffered strokes before they died, and that a massive stroke ended Larry's life. I guess getting hit in the head repeatedly really isn't good for you. lol

And Joe Besser. Initially he refused to be hit because he was afraid of getting hurt, so Larry stepped up and took all of his slaps, eye-pokes, and what not. He eventually got comfortable after working with Moe and Larry for a while, and agreed to take his share of "abuse" once he saw how cautious they actually were about anyone getting hurt, but still...

I concur. It's easy to see why people like "Moe the ringleader" and "Curly the lunatic", but Larry's performances were far more subtle most of the time so he didn't get noticed as much. It took me a long time to realize that, but once I did Larry became my favorite Stooge.

I had a psychology teacher who used the Stooges to explain Freudian theory: Moe was the Ego, Larry was the Superego, and Curly was the Id.

Not only those two but Shemp had a massive heart attack in the back of a taxicab. He was smoking a cigar at the time and burned his friend next to him. :doh: There are some really great Shemp "on his own" shorts out there too.

When Moe used to go on Mike Douglas' show, he showed how they used to use slight of hand to make it look like he hit them when he was really off to the side etc. The eye poke usually ended up in the forehead. :p He also mentioned that the studio loved him because he didn't waste throwing pies. He had dead aim with a pie. :p

Larry was quite a talented musician(violin) and singer before the Stooges came along. :p All the Stooges paid their dues and didn't get a ton of money for it either.....

VERY good twin bill. I found the second film to be VERY underrated.

Worf

As did/do I. It was the first time that I seen it uninterrupted and I was hooked before not too long. I think that I enjoyed it more than 2001. Having recently watched Jaws I and II, The Marathon Man, and 2010, I realized that I really enjoy the acting of Roy .
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Not only those two but Shemp had a massive heart attack in the back of a taxicab. He was smoking a cigar at the time and burned his friend next to him. :doh: There are some really great Shemp "on his own" shorts out there too.

When Moe used to go on Mike Douglas' show, he showed how they used to use slight of hand to make it look like he hit them when he was really off to the side etc. The eye poke usually ended up in the forehead. :p He also mentioned that the studio loved him because he didn't waste throwing pies. He had dead aim with a pie. :p

Larry was quite a talented musician(violin) and singer before the Stooges came along. :p All the Stooges paid their dues and didn't get a ton of money for it either.....

Poor Shemp! He was one of the original Three, but gets no love!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Gung Ho, (1943) I did not make it through! All the bad submarine cliches. A man sleeping on deck as the submarine dives to avoid an aerial attack. They resurface and bring the man back down the conning tower, before the planes can attack. In real life they would have left him to die. That's exactly what happened when the USS Growler came under attack, with two men dead and three men wounded and trapped on deck including the Skipper, Commander Howard Walter Gilmore. Gilmore gave the order "clear the bridge," the Executive Officer, Lieutenant Commander Arnold Schade waited, then he heard Gillmore yell the most immortal words in U.S. submarine history, "Take her down!" When they finally were able to do a search all three men were gone! In the movie, no one got yelled at for that or panicking in the ensuing depth charge attack.Still, I did enjoy the footage of the old S Class Sugar boats.

Poor Shemp! He was one of the original Three, but gets no love!
Shemp has his fair share of fans. In fact, Columbia used an uncredited double (Joe Palma) to complete several Stooges shorts that were unfinished at the time of his death. Once word of this reached the fans this double came to be known as the "fake Shemp", and in many Hollywood circles (most notably by director Sam Raimi) a body-double stand-in for any actor is still referred to by that moniker, i.e., "Okay, send in the fake Shemp!"

When these scenes are viewed out of context it's obvious that Joe Palma isn't Shemp Howard, but he was convincing enough to have fooled fans for years:

[video=youtube;n1JpDN-V-1w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1JpDN-V-1w[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner