Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

'Trail of the Pink Panther' (1982) This is the one done after Peter Sellers death, and consisted of spliced together clips and outtakes from the previous films loosely woven together around a plot about Inspector Clouseau's disappearance. Sort of a "best of" montage of hilarity from the previous films.
I found the DVD at the thrift store for a buck, so no bad investment, plus I figured that my kids needed to see the real deal.......

Good call. I haven't seen that one in a coons age.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I agree. A movie like Zodiac could easily have had a "movie of the week" feel to it in the hands of less competent people.
What I remember liking about Zodiac, aside from the creepy tone, were the neat period details. Not all the '70s cars looked pristine, for example; many of them looked well-used. And I recall in one scene Jake Gyllenhaal is wearing a watch with the two-toned expansion bracelet that Speidel in the '70s called the Romunda!

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
This weekend I caught The Narrow Margin, a twisty little early-Fifties RKO thriller set almost entirely on a train heading west from Chicago to LA. Charles McGraw plays a gravel-voiced cop assigned to get a witness out to a grand jury in LA. But criminals are out to kill her. The catch is, they don't know exactly what she looks like. . . .

It's very nicely done, with some humor and lots of plot twists. The only thing that bothered me -- let's see, how can I put this without giving anything away? -- Near the end, a policewoman is killed in the line of duty. McGraw's character, Brown, doesn't pause to reflect on her and her courage at all; in fact the policewoman seems completely forgotten after the climactic scene. A bit of a letdown. But otherwise, a neat little film.

Watched "Woman in Gold" yesterday and thought it was well done - the flashback scenes were poignant (and beautifully filmed) and the story built tension well while flushing out three dimensional personalities from its characters. I was impressed with Ryan Reynolds depiction of the extremely smart but somewhat clumsy lawyer. Definitely better than most new movies I've seen recently.

Bensadmiral, I agree with all your points on "The Narrow Margin." Plus for train-loving idiots like me, it is fun to just take in all the interior and exterior train shots.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched "Woman in Gold" yesterday and thought it was well done - the flashback scenes were poignant (and beautifully filmed) and the story built tension well while flushing out three dimensional personalities from its characters. I was impressed with Ryan Reynolds depiction of the extremely smart but somewhat clumsy lawyer. Definitely better than most new movies I've seen recently.

Oh, good! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this. I love Helen Mirren anyway! She is an incredible actress.

Oh, good! I'm very much looking forward to seeing this. I love Helen Mirren anyway! She is an incredible actress.

She does not disappoint, but the surprise for my was Ryan Reynolds as I never thought of him as much of an actor and I thought he gave an outstandingly nuanced performance. Also, the story is well paced. Looking forward to hearing your opinion of it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"Focus", the Will Smith con artist flick. A few of us watched in the wardroom. Better than I thought it would be, entertaining. Also had Robert Taylor from Longmire in it in a small role.

What I remember liking about Zodiac, aside from the creepy tone, were the neat period details. Not all the '70s cars looked pristine, for example; many of them looked well-used. And I recall in one scene Jake Gyllenhaal is wearing a watch with the two-toned expansion bracelet that Speidel in the '70s called the Romunda!
It's been quite a while since I've seen it, but I do recall thinking when I first saw it that they had really nailed down the look and overall "vibe" of the era without it becoming stereotypical, cartoonish, or drawing attention to itself.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've taped After the Thin Man, the second in the Powell-Myrna Loy series. I've seen it before -- it's the one with a young James Stewart in the cast. Fun, and a very good Ellery Queen-esque mystery too. The two Queen cousins, Dannay and Lee, were out in Hollywood working as sometime screenwriters about the time that film was in production. Ever since I saw AtTM I've wondered if some of their plotting or dialogue wound up in the film without giving them credit. . . .

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've taped After the Thin Man, the second in the Powell-Myrna Loy series. I've seen it before -- it's the one with a young James Stewart in the cast. Fun, and a very good Ellery Queen-esque mystery too. The two Queen cousins, Dannay and Lee, were out in Hollywood working as sometime screenwriters about the time that film was in production. Ever since I saw AtTM I've wondered if some of their plotting or dialogue wound up in the film without giving them credit. . . .

I love this one. The scenes where Nick and Nora are over for supper at Nora's aunt's house are hilarious.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Phantom Carriage" - This is a moving and amazing silent film from Sweden. Think of it as "It's a Wonderful Life" in reverse. Malingering drunkard is shown how many lives he's ruined and wreckage he's left in his wake by death's surrogate on earth. Should be shown to addicts of anything everywhere.

Worf

MissJilliss2Thrill

New in Town
I saw the German movie ´Victoria´ during my weekend stay in Berlin. Really a great film, it´s all shot in one take! Go check it out if you get a chance. Don´t know if it´s coming to the UK, but it might pop up somewhere in the States!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Ant Man" - Didn't expect much from this one but was pleasantly surprised. Ant Man was an "also ran" superhero in the Marvel line. Not very interesting even with his spouse at his side. Marvel's on a roll. Wednesday night, movies been out a while and still the theatre was almost full. Word of mouth is giving this one serious legs. Funny, fast, bright and cool. I dug it so much I'd actually like to see a sequel. If Marvel can successfully reboot The Fantastic Four later this year they will have hit for the cycle.

Worf

Haversack

One Too Many
Last night I saw A Tale of Two Cities (1935) for the first time. I've always known that it had one of Ronald Coleman's most famous film roles, (Sydney Carton). And indeed his portal of the unhappy, dissalute, but brilliant lawyer was excellent. (Having a telephone book voice does not detract either) However, Blanche Yurka's portrayal of Madame De Farge was riveting. For most of the movie she has few lines in the scenes she is in but through her face and carriage she speaks volumes. And then she cuts loose at the tribunal… One of the scariest bits of moviedom. You know her hate and lust for vengeance will not be stilled until every member of the St. Evremonde family is condemned and sent to the guillotine, including the three year old daughter. Yurka's efforts are ably abetted by Lucille La Verne as the cackling toothless horror known only as The Vengeance. (I rather suspect that this role got the voice role of the queen/witch in Disney's Snow White). If Dickensian sentiment and coincidence does not totally turn you off, I do recommend this movie.

Haversack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy