Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

matt

New in Town
The new underworld movie

If you like a new vampire/werewolf movie with good special effects then it's not to bad. I do believe they did a good job incorperating characters from the first 2 movies into this one.

Antje

One Too Many
I recently saw Valkyrie, with tom cruise,
and I was shocked, I tought I went to a movie like Blackbook,
(because carice van houten plays in it), so I went to see it, thinking of looking at nice 40's dresses, it turned out to be a big ww2 movie,
so only a couple of nice dresses once in a while and the rest was not really my kind of storie.

The Shirt

Practically Family
The Documentary "Young at Heart". I thought it was darling and yet quite sad to watch. The over 65 crowd does stage performances of more contemporary music in their own fantastic stylings. Artists included Coldplay, Sonic Youth and James Brown to name a few. It was nice to open my eyes to an often forgotten part of our society. When the words come out of a different body, blessed with age, the meaning can completely change and break your heart.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Odalisque said:
My boyfriend had me watch this series and I loved it. The two have such a good chemistry. I also watched Long Way Down, which I liked less but still was good.

That's up next.

Getting inspired for summer riding.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Song of the South for our race unit in History of Animation. I'd heard all the Briar Rabbit stories before, therefore leaving me free to concentrate on the terrifying costumes all the actors wore. There was a little boy wearing a green velvet knicker suit with a LACE collar, the mother was wearing bright purple eyeshadow in the Antebellum south, etc, etc.

Other exciting facts: our version was the LazerDisc Japanese release...meaning we had Japanese subtitles plastered all over it. I was excited to see it on LD though....I haven't seen a movie in that format for quite a while.

Edward

Bartender
I saw ...Benjamin Button last night. Rather a good film. Great plot - as, of course, one should hope for when it is based on an F Scott Fitzgerald short. Brad Pitt again proves the quality of actor that he really can be when given decent material to work with. Cate Blanchett is superb opposite him. Some extremely nice period costumes, too. Best of all, it avoids the sort of ghastly, cloying romance that seems almost inevitable in modern cinema where a love interest is included, in favour of something much more doomed and believable. Worth seeing.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched Leatherheads the other night. Cute film. Could have been better, but I enjoyed it. I like the screwball-type comedy they were trying to go for (but I think they missed the mark with the plot).

Jojo

New in Town
Bride Flight

The true story of the Last Great Air Race London – Christchurch in October 1953, and the KLM aircraft that won the handicap race, which carried 26 young Dutch brides-to-be on their way to join their fiancés already settled in New Zealand. Marjorie, Ada and Esther meet each other on the immigration flight and encounter Frank, who is on his way to be a share farmer. After fifty years they all meet again at Frank’s funeral and discover how much their lives have become intertwined beyond the famous flight through their different relationships with Frank.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I saw Cat on a hot tin roof. IMO on of these movies I can watch more than once and never be bored. It's just amazing and funny how Paul Newman plays the cold husband and well, some things Elizabeth Taylor says about the childrens reminds me of things I allways thought myself about certain childrens and their parents in my own family. [huh] :p

Odalisque said:
My boyfriend had me watch this series and I loved it. The two have such a good chemistry. I also watched Long Way Down, which I liked less but still was good.

I have seen both and liked them too. I got them from a friend, while I was ill for some days and they made the time a kind of bearable. :)

Antje

One Too Many
Jojo said:
Bride Flight

The true story of the Last Great Air Race London – Christchurch in October 1953, and the KLM aircraft that won the handicap race, which carried 26 young Dutch brides-to-be on their way to join their fiancés already settled in New Zealand. Marjorie, Ada and Esther meet each other on the immigration flight and encounter Frank, who is on his way to be a share farmer. After fifty years they all meet again at Frank’s funeral and discover how much their lives have become intertwined beyond the famous flight through their different relationships with Frank.

Was it good, I wanted to go but I never went actually.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
just got back from 'Taken' w/ Liam Neeson.

overall, pretty good.

great action scenes. surprisingly realistic close quarters handgunning and blade work (two things i train in).

chilly transition from hero to anti-hero.

niggles, sans spoilers:

-why can't a story about an retired spy have him looking old? unbelievable how much makeup they had on him. not to mention the hair dye and possible rug. leaving him craggy would have made it better.

-why would you cast a 26 year old to play a 17 year old. especially one that can't do it...?

Corky

Practically Family
Did you notice that the title character in TROG...?

The title character in TROG (or at least the mask that was used in the film) made another famous appearance as the head & face of Moonwatcher, the Ape who learns to use a bone as a club or weapon in the opening sequences of 2001.

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Heaven's Gate. One of my favorite modern western. I like the way it is filmed, all the details in the scenes seemed so perfect and the music catches the atmosphere quite well. And I like the hats of both, Kristofferson's fedoralike looks a bit like my old Akubra, and the one of Christopher Walken is really funny. Does someone know how such a hat and the form of the crown is called?

heavensgate.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
I'm thrilled to find "Chinatown" is in my On Demand
system for free this month. I've watched it about
a dozen times already.

Some great hats, suits and ties!

Naked City is in there too. A lot of the street scenes
were filmed without the participants knowledge.

It's a interesting opportunity to see real hats and
suits on people in NYC in the early fifties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy