Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

kiltie

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
Rae Dawn Chong is delightful.

I pray, oh sweet Lord, let me have a chance to use that phrase in the course of regular conversation...

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

That is DEFINATELY in the top five greatest things I've read on this board in a year!

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
I just got back from seeing Slumdog Millionare. Not a vintage movie, but at a old-fashion theatre! :)

The movie was fabulous. I laughed, I cried. It was probably one of the best movies I have seen in a long time and I highly recommend it.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Last Chance Harvey.

The movie was a trifle but Eileen Atkins and Emma Thompson were marvelous as usual and it made me miss London terribly. Dustin Hoffman essentially uses one expression through the entire film but he's enjoyable.

carter

I'll Lock Up
My Darling Clementine (1946). Henry Fonda plays Wyatt Earp wearing a hat with an iconic Oreanna crease. Linda Darnell plays Clementine. Victor Mature plays a tortured Doc Holliday. Walter Brennan plays Old Man Clanton. Ward Bond plays Morgan Earp.
FOX_D2220318D.jpg

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Revolutionary Road.

To be honest, it has left me rather torn. :(
The performances by Kate and Leo were great; they have great chemistry. The plot was quite trivial, but interesting none the less. The movie definatly made me think about a lot of things and it's still lurking in my brain.

However, I was VERY dissapointed in the cinematography and especially the aestheic part of the movie - Set design, costumes, hair and makeup etc. Nearly all of it was poorly executed in my opinion (except the offices at Knox). I know these things aren't the focal point of the movie, but they are very vital to me... especially if I am watching a movie that is set in the past.
Sometimes I found myself looking at Kate with her dyed blonde hair with black roots, baggy shirt and pants and thought that it might as well be a tired housewife from the 2000s.
I also spotted some 70s kitchenware in the kitchen..[huh]

I will say though, that I liked it not being very kitschy 50s (like you see in Hairpray 2007), but it all was just downplayed a wee too much in my opinion.

I wish I could look away from these things, but they are just important to me, so I can't help it. lol

JohnnyL

New in Town
Taken with Liam Neeson. Pleased to see that Luc Besson was a co-writer. Great action. A plus with this movie is the plot was easy to follow.

The Lives of Others loved this especially the ending. Read an article in Wired magazine about how they pieced together a lot of the old STASI files. Warehouses of old files were torn up...not shredded. Someone wrote a program that enabled the scanning in of the torn paper and the program re-assembles the digitized fragments.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
The Reader

Has anyone seen The Reader? It has Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes. It spans the decades from 50's - 90's and is about events which happened in the 40's. It's extremely moving. Very sad and bleak yet somehow uplifting too. Just out, in London at least.

ortega76

Practically Family
Atonement. I wasn't much of a Keira Knightley fan before this movie, but I think I'm changing my mind. Her turn in the upcoming The Beautiful and the Damned may seal my opinion of her as an actress, for good or ill.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
This weekend, the wife and I caught Preston Sturges' THE GREAT McGINTY at MoMA and Ernst Lubitsch's NINOTCHKA at Symphony Space.

It was her first time to see both (they were her third Sturges picture and second Lubitsch, respectively); I had seen both time numerous times.

It struck me for the first time that THE GREAT McGINTY, fine as it is, was probably meant to be a longer picture. Being Sturges' first directorial effort, I suspect it was taken out of his hand during the editing process and chopped up a bit.

VintageVixie

Velma the Diva said:
He directed the original "Curse of the Cat People". His films are strange and in a way disturbing fantasy.

Ah, love Val Lewton. And I scored when a friend got me the Lewton collection for the holidays. I love Cat People, but I think Isle of the Dead will always be my favorite of his. And I Walked with a Zombie-- but then I prefer zombie movies from the old days, before they became brain-hungry, ugly, disgusting lumbering things.

Last film I watched was Repo! The Genetic Opera.

Great potential, had the creators not made it a musical. But I found the music to be mostly very bad. Very. Some of it was painful. Which rather ruined a lot of it. Paris Hilton's few moments didn't help, but at least something happens toward the end to her that really is so appropriate.

However- it must be said that Anthony Head's acting, even while singing those horrible songs, was absolutely top notch, incredible. He was way too good for the film.

It is very gory and gross, fyi. But over the top as well, which can be helpful in the 'roll your eyes' department. :rolleyes:

Macheath

One of the Regulars
The Picture of Dorian Gray

I don't know if it's just me, but Peter Lawford seemed woefully out of place in this film. Perhaps it doesn't much help my opinion of him that the last time I saw him was in Ocean's Eleven.

just_me

Practically Family
Macheath said:
The Picture of Dorian Gray

I don't know if it's just me, but Peter Lawford seemed woefully out of place in this film. Perhaps it doesn't much help my opinion of him that the last time I saw him was in Ocean's Eleven.
I'm not sure I understand your comment.

BTW, I liked the original version of Ocean's Eleven.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I finally watched "The Dark Knight", it was good but I'm getting tired of the comic book themed movies. Not one I'd watch again.
Feraud- the masks the Jokers henchmen wore WERE similar to the ones in "The Killing" with Sterling Hayden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner