Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Lately, I am into scandinavian cinema. I've watched these two films recently:

A swedish movie called "Let The Right One In". I wasn't particularly fond of it, though. It's about a freaky vampire kid. Yeah. lol
A norwegian movie called "The Man Who Loved Yngve". A very touching movie. I liked it a lot! And also, I give props to the costume designer or whoever was in charge of the whole 80s look.

Next I really have to see Revolutionary Road and Changeling.
I also want to see Slumdog Millionaire, but can't quite get over the fact that the guy in the main part is the skinny nympho guy from the british series SKINS. ;) Good on him for landing an Oscar Nominated movie, though!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I really want to see this but I'm staying away because of the depression factor.

laurakitty said:
Revolutionary Road: The costumes and sets were great as was the acting, but the plot depressed me for days after.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:
Lately, I am into scandinavian cinema. I've watched these two films recently:

A swedish movie called "Let The Right One In". I wasn't particularly fond of it, though. It's about a freaky vampire kid. Yeah. lol
A norwegian movie called "The Man Who Loved Yngve". A very touching movie. I liked it a lot! And also, I give props to the costume designer or whoever was in charge of the whole 80s look.

You didn't like Let the Right One In/Let Me In? I thought it was a really good movie, perfectly mixing horror and social realism. I hardly thought it was just about "a freaky vampire kid". For me, it was an interesting and touching story about an outsider kid, love, friendship, the things we fear, survival, and overall a very interesting reinterpretation of vampires. I loved that it didn't tell you everything but let you read in between the lines. It had so much depth and really left you (well, me) thinking. Also, it was beautifully directed and filmed. And the child actors were sooooo good!

Maybe you are not fond of horror? It's strange though, because a lot of my friends who watched it didn't like horror either, but still loved this movie. I would like to hear more about why you didn't like it. :)

kiltie

Practically Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frykitty
Last night I watched Polanski's "The Tenant" One of the few directors that leave me shook up for days. brilliant.

....especially if you're 13.:eek:

Empire of the Sun last night
Apaloosa the night before ( more quality westerns, please )

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
You didn't like Let the Right One In/Let Me In? I thought it was a really good movie, perfectly mixing horror and social realism. I hardly thought it was just about "a freaky vampire kid". For me, it was an interesting and touching story about an outsider kid, love, friendship, the things we fear, survival, and overall a very interesting reinterpretation of vampires. I loved that it didn't tell you everything but let you read in between the lines. It had so much depth and really left you (well, me) thinking. Also, it was beautifully directed and filmed. And the child actors were sooooo good!

Maybe you are not fond of horror? It's strange though, because a lot of my friends who watched it didn't like horror either, but still loved this movie. I would like to hear more about why you didn't like it. :)

*********SPOILERS***********

Okay, maybe the "freaky vampire kid" thing was a bit too simplifying. lol
It's hard to put my finger on why I disliked it, but I'll try anyway.
But sometimes stories just get to you and sometimes they don't...and it also depends a lot on ones mood. :)

First of all, I'll agree with you on that it was an aestheticly pleasing movie. I loved that aspect of it. And the kids were great.

I do think the movie didn't get to me totally because I am not so fond of "fantasy" horror/gory movies. But there are exceptions of course.

I knew almost instantly when they met in the playground that she was a vampire, so I didn't have that feeling of suspense "What is she, and how is she connected to the murders" etc.
I like being kept in suspense if I am watching a movie with a theme like that.
In this respect the movie left me bored sometimes, so I could have used more moments that could give me more room to analyse and ponder.

Also, I disliked the end - Yes I can see how he became her new "gatherer"; them leaving behind a group of slaughtered kids and facing a future of more murders.

Believe me those kids needed punishment, but murderíng them doesn't help the boy, Eli or the bullies.
It's not that I neccesarily needed a happy end, but I would have prefered it if say Eli died and sacrificed herself so that he didn't have to go on and become a murderer.

But as I said, it is a beautiful movie, and I can see why people would like it - but it just didn't latch on to me (hehe) as much as I would have wanted. ;)

Has amyone watched Boy A, by the way?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Due to the ice storm we're experiencing my cable is out! So I'm watching DVD's tonight. Right now I'm watching "Joy Ride" (2001).
That ole "Rusty Nail" is a bad dude....

Frykitty

Familiar Face
kiltie said:
....especially if you're 13.:eek:
Controversial life for sure, but some of my favorite movies.. Chinatown, Cul-de-Sac , Knife in the Water, Oliver Twist. The list could go on.

Anyways. . . I watched Dead Mans Shoes, and Gomorra last night. Two brutally realistic movies. Dead mans shoe's has an excellent soundtrack that I'll have to track down. Gomorra sure took the romance outta the criminal underworld in Naples, and though neither of these films are "enjoyable" to watch I recommend them both.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
There are at least three shots in that film that are somewhat awe inspiring, plus the sequences set to the soundtrack are better than most music videos.
I had not thought of the "Heat" connection as much but I'll watch "Heat" again with that in mind.

thief.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Dan in Real Life with Steve Carell and Juliette Binoche (an odd couple that somehow works).

This was one of those movies I missed in the theater and it was much better than I expected it would be. A couple cloying moments but overall extremely enjoyable. I loved the vacation home in Rhode Island too.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Last evening

That Uncertain Feeling with Merle Oberon (lovely wife), Melvyn Douglas (handsome husband), and Burgess Meredith (conniving pianist). A 1941 screwball comedy directed by Ernst Lubitsch. This film has an excellent cast and some snappy dislogue.

kiltie

Practically Family
I saw Dead Reckoning two nights ago. First time I've seen it. Not the very best movie ever, but packed with the...stuff. Good movie stuff...[huh]

just_me

Practically Family
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Not great, but enjoyable and Keith Richards plays Jack Sparrow's father, which is funny because Johnny Depp based his characterization of Jack on Keith Richards.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
Oh in colour but im not sure if its colourised, loads of topping fun a 1935 production

Not colorized - Becky Sharp is actually famous for being the first feature film shot in three-strip Technicolor, which reproduced colors more accurately than earlier color processes.

(See its Wiki article, which definitely exists, but cannot be linked to by direct URL for some reason.)

Hardly vintage at 22.

I popped in a regular DVD of the 1985 Schwarzeneeger romp "Commando" and viewed the director's cut. Funny, outrageous and Arnie's body count is reported as 81. With some hilarious footage in the making of vein specials it was a great 80's flashback, and it is actually an influentail film for the action genre.

Rae Dawn Chong is delightful.

Velma the Diva

New in Town
I'm having a Val Luton marathon tonight~~~

A some of my girl friends are coming over, pop corn chips, all that bad stuff to eat.

He directed the original "Curse of the Cat People". His films are strange and in a way disturbing fantasy.

Last night I wanted a really good "chase movie" so I watched "Bullitt" with Steve McQueen. Loved it and so much of San Francisco has changed ***sigh***

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner