Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

SarinWrap

New in Town
I just watched Event Horizon (1998) again last night, wow, easily one of the most underated films in the science horror category. The last older movie I watched was Grand Hotel (1932) with Greta Garbo. Aside from that, the last movie I saw in theaters was Valkyrie, which I enjoyed.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
North by Northwest was on last night. One of my favorite escapist movies. As much as I love Eva Marie Saint I really wish Grace Kelly had been in that film.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Mama Mia!

A friend lent me this on DVD, what a delight, a feel good movie, destined to be a classic, just like "Grease" in twenty years time , the next generation will be enjoying it, the art driectors were very clever, there are no "Trendy Styles" no stripper hair extensions on the girls, and Beckham faux hawke/troll doll hair do's on the boys, anchoring it in the mid 2000's so it won't date. and we all look the same sur la plage anyway! It has a sing along "extra" I passed on that, but.

Inky

One Too Many
I am making myself a Netflix list from all the great movies you're all listing!

Yesterday I watched "The Big Clock" on AMC. I really enjoy Ray Milland and Charles Laughton in this, and the always kookie Elsa Lanchester (Charles' wife - what a fun couple they must have been!).

A few nights ago they ran "The Naked City," which I had also never seen. I loved the "documentary" style of this film, and the narration. They also filmed the real city scenes from a van with darkened windows to capture the "real" city. The detective work was very interesting to observe, with a great deal of leg work being done, instead of fancy cell phones and massive CSI-style databases being available.

It used to be I always had the Food Network on as background noise, now I get sucked into fabulous movies that I hadn't had a chance to see yet.

Flivver

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
North by Northwest was on last night. One of my favorite escapist movies. As much as I love Eva Marie Saint I really wish Grace Kelly had been in that film.

I watched it too...for the first time!

What a great movie...not just the great acting and storyline, but filled with great cars, clothes, trains, airports etc...all circa 1958.

Apparently Ford Motor Company supplied many of the cars as all the "new" 1958 Fords, Mercurys, Edsels and Lincolns were present. There was also a great '58 Caddy Limo, a Mercedes Roadster and a '56 Chevy station wagon.

And the scenes shot at Grand Central Station and the airport at Chicago (O'Hare?) were magnificent. First, a ride on the 20th Century Limited then a walk across the runway in Chicago past DC6s and Constellations! Even the ticket counter proclaiming "Northwest Orient Airlines" was a blast from the past!

I watch vintage movies as much for the "time machine effect" as for the story. "North by Northwest" didn't disappoint on either score!

Feraud

Bartender
Just watched Coney Island with Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle and Buster Keaton. The highlight of this 30 minute film is seeing Coney Island in 1917.
The plot is thin and comic situations are a bit forced. There are a couple of laugh out loud moments..

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Rififi & Pepe le Moko

I had the chance to see Rififi at a local art house cinema last week. If you have not had the chance to see, you really should. Low budget French Noir from 1955 with probably the best 30 minute heist scene I have ever seen. It was on a double bill with Pepe le Moko (1936) an earlier French crime drama. Pepe le Moko was good, but Rififi was hard core.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Inky said:
I am making myself a Netflix list from all the great movies you're all listing!

:D I do that too. I come to this thread for ideas to add to my Netflix list!

Most recently for me was The Other Bolyn Girl. Interesting, but nothing to write home about.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I just watched The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart for the first time. I absolutely love You've Got Mail, so I thought I'd watch the original, and I think I just found a new favorite movie. Jimmy Stewart makes my motor stall, though, so it isn't difficult for me to love him in anything.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Three Betty Boop shorts for class:
Snow White (starring Koko the clown singing St. James Infirmary Blues!!)
Ha Ha Ha! (also with Koko, originally banned for demonstrating how to use laughing gas to get high)
Poor Cinderella (terrifying redhead Betty Boop)

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
After reading some interesting posts here regarding "Girl 27" I finally tracked a copy down. I found it to be very interesting and disturbing.
Thanks to Mike and Feraud for the discussion earlier that prompted my search for this one. I got a copy off of eBay for about $4 and it was worth waiting for.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
"A Double Life" (1947), starring Ronald Colman and Signe Hasso and co-starring Edmond O'Brien and Shelley Winters, directed by George Cukor. Ronald Colman was at his prime here, and a great many "story within a story" films owe a debt to this production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner