Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Hey, that's my hat!

I was lucky enough to purchase a chocolate brown Bond fedora in near mint condition yesterday at a local swap meet for $5.00. Then, last night I happen to notice "Miller's Crossing" was on cable. Well, I've seen it at least two or three times but after 30 seconds into it I was hooked and watched the whole thing, again. After a few more minutes into it I took a closer look at Gabriel Byrne's ( Tom Reagan ) fedora and damned if it wasn't a clone to the one I'd just bought; I mean color, shape, Cavanaugh-edged brim and all !! Most people would say, "'ya see one fedora, 'ya seen 'em all." But we fedora wearers are like Mother Pengin's; we can tell which one is ours in a crowd of fedoras.
One thing that escapes me in the film however, is the constant references to Tom's fedora. For instance when he relates his dream to his girlfriend about chasing his hat. I know the Coen Brothers don't just throw something in their plots to fill up dead space so I'm sure there's some symbolic significance to his hat, but I can't figure out what it is; anyone out there knows the answer please enlighten me.
All in all, I'll keep on watchin' "Miller's Crossing" at least a dozen more times.
Best Regards,
Frankie Lamb

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Lenah said:
Am on a Louise Brooks bender, so I watched her last night in the stunning 1929 "Pandora's Box" and tonight am watching her in the 1929 "Diary of a Lost Girl".

I watch "Pandora's Box" at least once every couple of months. Great flick!
"Dairy of a Lost Girl" and "Prix de Beaute" are both good as well. The Criterion DVD of "Pandora's Box" has some great extras on it, a good documentary about Brooks and also an interview with her done years after her career had ended. It was interesting and touching at times.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lenah said:
If you can watch Asta Nielsen dance in the 1910 "Afgrunden" or "The Abyss". That movie apparently wasn't released in North America back then, due to it being too much for the taste of the audience here... How times have changed, lol

Asta Nielsen is great, and she is wearing a very tight, almost damp-fold effect, dress in that scene. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HwnFwMffmI

Lenah

New in Town
Laura Chase said:
Asta Nielsen is great, and she is wearing a very tight, almost damp-fold effect, dress in that scene. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HwnFwMffmI

I posted a reply to this, then deleted it. There were so many "i" in my sentences i hated it lol, made me sound really stuffy and self-centered. Writing on forums is so difficult sometimes, haha
Anyhoo, rambling over - yup, she is awesome!! I first saw this in a late-night show on german TV about the silent film era in Europe, and I thought : HOLY COW!! They weren't so innocent after all! And after that I started to become more aware of the subtlety and nuances in early movies - through the silent film era right up to the glibness in 60's movies, which I previously saw as being very family-friendly. I was so used to the "in-your-face" -ness of today's movies and shows.

just_me

Practically Family
Don't Look Now. Someone mentioned it on one of the threads, and I hadn't seen it since it first came out, so I took it out of the library. It's just as odd, and interesting, as I remember.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Ben Hur on PBS. Boy, is it long! Good background noise whilst I pull together a presentation--I'm looking forward to Antiques Roadshow soon though.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Whats he sayin', What's he sayin' ??

If you liked the Ben Hur with Charlton Heston, wait until you catch the silent version ( There were a few ) with Francis X. Bushman as B.H. As moving as Heston's was, especially the scenes with his Mother and Sister, the one with F.X.B. had me reaching for the Kleenex. I was discussing silent films one day a while back with my 95 year old Aunt, and she said that because they were without spoken dialogue you naturally watched the actor's movements and emotions more closely, therefor, you're more deeply invested in the story and characters. I believe she's right because now, when I'm watching a silent I often-times ignore the sub-titles. Works for me. It doesn't work very well however with old time silent radio !!!
Best Regards,
Frankie L.

Esme

One of the Regulars
I am watching the Australian mini-series, Come In, Spinner. Starts in 1944, Sydney, set in a beauty parlor in a grand hotel, centering around the women who work their and their families, etc. Aired originally in 1989 and all my friends have highly recommended it.
Good costuming and hair, so far, kind of slow moving but it's hotter than blue blazes here, so I am not going anywhere.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I'd love to see the silent version, I've read so much about it. Even better to see it on the big screen, but I fear that not likely to happen soon.

Frankie Lamb said:
If you liked the Ben Hur with Charlton Heston, wait until you catch the silent version ( There were a few ) with Francis X. Bushman as B.H. As moving as Heston's was, especially the scenes with his Mother and Sister, the one with F.X.B. had me reaching for the Kleenex. I was discussing silent films one day a while back with my 95 year old Aunt, and she said that because they were without spoken dialogue you naturally watched the actor's movements and emotions more closely, therefor, you're more deeply invested in the story and characters. I believe she's right because now, when I'm watching a silent I often-times ignore the sub-titles. Works for me. It doesn't work very well however with old time silent radio !!!
Best Regards,
Frankie L.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Blindness

I had been looking forward to this film for a while, but it kind of vanished from sight (pun intended).

Oh

My

Gosh

This is the most horrible movie I have ever watched. I will never watch it again. When I say horrible, Im not talking about the plot, or acting or any technical aspect, but the overall premise of the film severely makes me despise the human race.

People suddenly begin to go blind with no cause, so, in a panic, the society we follow (I think we are in Canada) herds all the blind people off into 'camps', to keep them away from the rest of the population.

I find it absolutely 100% unbelievable that these blind people would be shoved into a building without any type outside management watching, policing, or doing what ever to maintain order aside from guards being stationed outside to keep them in. They tried to explain that way in a couple of sentences, but it was complete farce.

Have you known a society of newly blind people to flourish? Things go really sour really fast. And then the whole tragedy is dismissed with this Disney like ending and Im just exasperated by then.

Ive never had such a reaction from a film before, so Im a bit freaked out. Its too dark, even for all the darkness the human race is capable of.

LD

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Has anyone seen Revolutionary Road? I hope it's good.

I saw The Mist last night. It was soooooo good, I didn't expect it at all because so many Stephen King movies totally fail but I guess this guy (Frank Darabont) really knows what he's doing. He also wrote the screenplay for The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption, the two only other (very) good Stephen King Movies, well, together with The Shining.

If you like horror and appreciate a post-apocalyptic feel, see it!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I watched Eyes Without a Face (Les Yeux Sans Visage) last night - really, really enjoyed it - it wasn't particularly scary but the story is very disturbing.

It's about a brilliant surgeon who is responsible for ruining the face of his beautiful daughter in a car crash and is so desperate to restore her face that helped by his assistant he kidnaps young women and removes their faces and attempts to graft them onto the face of his beloved daughter. :eek:

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I found a dvd with son of kong on it at the bottom of my wardrobe yesterday,so i gave it a watch.someone must have recorded it a few years ago when it was on tv.it is quite rare i see that being shown on uk tv.i haven't seen it since i was a child.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic