Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've noticed in a couple of movies ("The Big Sleep" and most recently "Kiss Me Deadly") that a point was made to show a cars registration displayed on the steering column. I asked my dad if he remembered such a thing and he didn't.
Does anyone remember this or have you seen such things at vintage car shows? I haven't, just wondering.

Lenah

New in Town
Was spoiled last night by TCM, they aired Gloria Swanson and Rudolph Valentino in "Beyond the Rocks". Wow. Once again blown away by wardrobe, interiors...blotchy film segments and sepia tone, and a heart wrenching, tacky love story. I completely understand why Rudolph was the man of the times. Hot.

I pretty much agree with these two reviews:
http://ferdyonfilms.com/2006/03/beyond-the-rocks-1922-director.php - except I didn't think the costumes odd. Maybe they were, but I liked them. She's right about the chemistry between Swanson and Valentino. Crazy, crazy chemistry.

and this one on imdb: look for wmorrow59's review
The book on Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16692

Oh - and in case this link hasn't reached everyone yet, have a look! Lots of oldies - watch free online. Classic Cinema Online

The State!

KY Gentleman said:
to show a cars registration displayed on the steering column.
Car registration and liscensing is a state perogative and as such they set the rules and regulations. The Bogart Big Sleep takes place in California so it was probably a California regulation. Seems to me that it occurs in some of the early Perry Mason TV episodes which again is a Califonia (LA) based show, too.

Maguire

Practically Family
Gran Torino- talk about a great movie. I'll be seeing it again as soon as my jaw heals up.

clint Eastwood reminded me alot of my old man, the hardworker who probably looks really "old fashioned" etc to young people. And it was realistic throughout, definitely Eastwood at his best.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
"Big Sleep" Auto registrations

Yes, they were a state regulation in the time period "The Big Sleep" was filmed during the WWll. They were held in place on the steering column by a spring-clip. I don't remember just when they were discontinued but I'm guessing early fifties or so. I had one of the registration holders (without the registration in it) in a box of stuff which I finally threw out about fifteen years ago. Come to think of it, it's one of the few things I've ever thrown away, as my garage will surely show.
Frankie L.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
A staggering amount of early 20's and 30's animated shorts, including some of Disney's first experiments, also Little Nemo, Gertie, and some Felix the Cat.

Oh, the useful things I learn in my major! Secretly though, I LOVE school.lol

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
Man with the Movie Camera

This title just bubbled to the top of my Netflix list. The Man with the Movie Camera (Chelovek s kino-apparatom) is an experimental documentary from 1929 illustrating a day in the life of the Soviet Union. The filmmakers work with various camera and editing tricks as part of the "experiment" making the film look like a 1930's version of "Koyaanisqatsi". A fascinating film in itself, but also an interesting window into the everyday look of 1929.

kools

Practically Family
I just finished The Maltese Falcon. I used to say this was my favorite movie...I don't know if that's still the case, but I seem to like it even more than I used to.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm watching "Wild Bill" with Jeff Bridges and Ellen Barkin (1995).
I really like this movie. ESPECIALLY when people goad Wild Bill into a fight by messing with his hat. "You ought not mess with mans hat!".

Edward

Bartender
Last thing I watched was the Final Cut of Blade Runner. Picked it up cheap. I remember seeing it years and years ago, as a toung Indy / Solo fan, and being rather disappointed in it. Now.... I love it. Great chracter piece with action only as and where necessary, not just for the sake of spectacle.

Prior to that, it was I'm not there, the quasi-autobiographical Dylan flick. This tells much of the story of Bob Dylan's life by splitting the defined periods of his work into different characters and telling their semi-fictional (part real Dylan experiences, part the myths he has manufactured about himself) stories as individual people. Most impressive is Kate Blanchart's turn as Dylan going electric. A must for any fan of the Bobcat's work.

Burnsie

filfoster said:
The Dark Knight. Yes, I am the last person in North America to see it. Loved Heath Ledger's Joker-please don't start the controversy!
Second to last - I still haven't seen it. My last movie watched, yesterday afternoon: Capote

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Swing Kids (1993) - with Christian Bale and Robert Sean Leonard.

Very Enjoyable except maybe for the final 45seconds which I thought were a bit cheesy. Appart from that great film that I highly recommend.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Edward said:
Prior to that, it was I'm not there, the quasi-autobiographical Dylan flick. This tells much of the story of Bob Dylan's life by splitting the defined periods of his work into different characters and telling their semi-fictional (part real Dylan experiences, part the myths he has manufactured about himself) stories as individual people. Most impressive is Kate Blanchart's turn as Dylan going electric. A must for any fan of the Bobcat's work.

*shudders*
I had a traumatic experience last semester with this film. It involved a 10 page paper outlining how the film was indicative of developments in American Cinemablahblahblah. Anyway, it was pretty much me, copious amounts of Red Bull, and this movie. For three days. So I'm a little afraid of seeing it again.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I watched "Burn After Reading" earlier tonight. I didn't care for it.

Right now I'm watching the 1972 original version of "The Getaway". This makes up for the previous film!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner