Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
Tonight was Gigi.

John in Covina, how is The Happening? I tend to like Shamalayn's (sp?) work, but I understand this is his first R film. Not too gory I hope??

It was fairly tame on the in-your-face gore compared to some movies nowadays. Most of the deaths were shot from a distance so you don't see specific details. But they certainly were disturbing non-the-less. I would rank it an 8, much better then Lady in the Water but not as good as Sixth Sense or The Village.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
It was fairly tame on the in-your-face gore compared to some movies nowadays. Most of the deaths were shot from a distance so you don't see specific details. But they certainly were disturbing non-the-less. I would rank it an 8, much better then Lady in the Water but not as good as Sixth Sense or The Village.

Oh thanks! I'll add that one to my Netflix!
I'm a bit squeamish, so I was a little worried that with an R rating would go a bunch of gore. I really prefer the suspense to in your face body parts. Blech! lol

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Joie DeVive said:
Oh thanks! I'll add that one to my Netflix!
I'm a bit squeamish, so I was a little worried that with an R rating would go a bunch of gore. I really prefer the suspense to in your face body parts. Blech! lol

I'm the same way. Somethings are much more frightening then blood. I like it when a film can scare me with subtlety.

Joie DeVive said:
John in Covina, how is The Happening? I tend to like Shamalayn's (sp?) work, but I understand this is his first R film. Not too gory I hope??
It is not a hack and slash'em type of thing. It is more about how society gets stressed and fails under attacks like terrorism. There is very brief on screen violence and most is more suggested. It has definate creepy factors going.

If you have seen Silence of the Lambs it's about that level of gore, again which is very brief and more suggested.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
This morning, 1959's "North by Northwest," directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, Leo G. Carroll, and Martin Landau. I hope it's not just me, but the sexual imagery in that movie seemed quite daring. I'm not complaining, mind you, rather I'm asuming that Hitchcock was having a bit of fun.

This afternoon, 1941's "The Big Store," starring the Marx brothers, Tony Martin, Virginia Grey, and of course Margaret Dumont.

This evening, 1947's "The Late George Apley," starring a large ensemble led by the wonderful Ronald Colman, wearing a grey homburg tilted to the right just enough to show the dashing shot of grey over his left temple. And isn't his voice one of the best ever? Hearing Ronald Colman and James Mason in one day is enough to make me start paying much more attention to how I speak.

For tomorrow morning I have on DVR the classic 1936 semi-talkie "Modern Times" starring Charlie Chaplin.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm watching "Rancho Deluxe" (1975) tonight.
Jeff Bridges, Sam Waterston, Slim Pickens, Harry Dean Stanton...
Its a fun movie with a great soundtrack.
Lots of great Western hats, Western wear...the story is good and Jeff Bridges is really good in this.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Well, I just watched the trailer to X Men Origins: Wolverine, and Im all "Crap, that looks mindblowingly awesome." :D

LD

I'm so looking forward to that movie! I also think it will be awesome! Yay.

I just watched a Swedish horror movie called "Let the Right One In". It is AMAZING - seriously. I think the American title will be "Let Me In".

Btw, I LOVED "The Happening"! Everything was just slightly too much, in a very good way: the acting, the plot, the colors, the music. A very unusual movie. I hated "Lady in the Water" but loved "The Village". Night Shyamalan's (or his cinematographer's) visual style is quite peculiar, he uses a lot of weird zooms and pictoresque compositions, just beautiful.

vil%20end_0.jpg

Oh, and Zooey Deschanel is GORGEOUS!

Feraud

Bartender
Slim Portly said:
This evening, 1947's "The Late George Apley," starring a large ensemble led by the wonderful Ronald Colman, wearing a grey homburg tilted to the right just enough to show the dashing shot of grey over his left temple. And isn't his voice one of the best ever?
Coleman's voice is great to hear.
The guy can make a grocery list sound interesting.

Lady Day said:
Well, I just watched the trailer to X Men Origins: Wolverine, and Im all "Crap, that looks mindblowingly awesome." :D

LD
The trailer looks great. Hopefully this film will do with the character what three X-Men movies failed to do.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I dont count XMen 3 as even a movie. I dont know what it is.
Im not a huge Wolverine fan, but I get his appeal. Hes lived like 3 lifetimes full of crazy drama and they all keep overlapping on one another.

I watched Mirrors, a recent Korean horror port to the US market. It was fun, great production values, and I really liked the ending, but I just kept thinking to myself throughout the entire movie, "Why is Kiefer Sutherland in this movie?" lol
He got to throw a lot of stuff and scream a lot, maybe he likes that. I just couldnt get past it.

LD

just_me

Practically Family
You've Got Mail. It was cute. I know it's a remake of The Shop Around the Corner, which I haven't seen in many, many years. I think I'll see if netflix has it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Cast a Giant Shadow with Kirk Douglas and Senta Berger.

Colonel David Daniel 'Mickey' Marcus, the character portrayed by Kirk Douglas, is the only soldier interred at West Point who died under a foreign flag.
http://www.historynet.com/david-mickey-marcus.htm

Senta Berger, who played Magda, continues to act and produce. She has had an illustrious careeer primarily in German film, television, and stage productions. She became prsident of the German Film Academy in 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senta_Berger

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
It is not a hack and slash'em type of thing. It is more about how society gets stressed and fails under attacks like terrorism. There is very brief on screen violence and most is more suggested. It has definate creepy factors going.

If you have seen Silence of the Lambs it's about that level of gore, again which is very brief and more suggested.

Thanks! Definitely sounds like it's in my league. I'll add it to my list.

Last night I caught most of The Last Time I Saw Paris. It had an interesting cast including Liz Taylor, Donna Reed, and a very young Roger Moore.

dr greg

One Too Many
get down

I just watched DOWN BY LAW after 20 years or so...what was all the fuss about, it had nothing going for it but Tom Waits's shoes, the acting was appalling, the story non-existent, or more accurately, went nowhere, and is Benigni the Italian word for annoying? I can't believe the hoopla about it when it came out...what drugs were we all on?
I like some of Jarmusch's stuff; DEAD MAN is fantastic, but this one...never again..even the much-vaunted style of it all wasn't that great.
And Ellen Barkin was dreadful...a good thing she gave up acting and married a millionaire...nuff said :p

Lily Powers

Practically Family
"Our Modern Maidens," a silent movie with a very sassy, jazzy Joan Crawford (pre mega-brows, pre prominent lips, pre shoulder pads). I've had it on TiVo for quite awhile, and after getting little interest from my boyfriend in watching it with me, I settled in, took command of the remote (that called for Herculean strength), and the evening was mine. Mine and Joan's, that is.

If I could have a dream DVD set of rather obscure films, this would certainly be in it. Along with "Street of Women," (Kay Francis); "Let Us Be Gay," (Norma Shearer), "Blonde Crazy," (James Cagney) and "Matrimonial Bed" (Frank Fay).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Laura Chase said:
I just watched a Swedish horror movie called "Let the Right One In". It is AMAZING - seriously. I think the American title will be "Let Me In".

This is our current feature -- and I can honestly say it's one of the best films we've had in the three years I've worked here. *Breathtakingly* good, and I don't normally like horror pictures at all. But this is less a horror film than a truly tragic romance, as seen thru the eyes of kids.

And I am certain that the American remake will be an utter botch.

(Additional note: while packing up the print tonight to be sent to a theatre "out west," I managed to slash my hand open on one of the cans. So by any chance, if anyone sees actual bloodstains flick by on the screen while watching this film, they come to you with my personal compliments.)

kools

Practically Family
This week its been some of Bogart's "lesser-known" films: Dead Reckoning, It All Came True & Battle Circus.

Lenah

New in Town
Am on a Louise Brooks bender, so I watched her last night in the stunning 1929 "Pandora's Box" and tonight am watching her in the 1929 "Diary of a Lost Girl". And the costumes....yummy -actresses all shapes and sizes too! I started consciously looking for plus-sized women in older movies, and am finding them, really inspiring how they dressed/were dressed.
And the furniture and decorations - ah. Love, love the silent film era.

If you can watch Asta Nielsen dance in the 1910 "Afgrunden" or "The Abyss". That movie apparently wasn't released in North America back then, due to it being too much for the taste of the audience here... How times have changed, lol
Other ones just watched: "A Matter of Life and Death" (again for the 100th time) - color and costumes just wow, "Carve Her Name With Pride" - Beautiful depiction of a true story. And on the more modern side, "Taken", "Traitor" and "war, Inc."

I'm a movieholic...LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters