Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Slim Portly

One Too Many
This afternoon, 1944's silly but sweet comedy/fantasy "It Happened Tomorrow," starring Dick Powell and the amazingly beautiful Linda Darnell.

tempestbella42 said:
i had a good laugh out loud yesterday to "I was a male War Bride" with anne sheridan and the brilliantly funny Cary Crant!
I keep meaning to catch that one.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Rocky Horror Picture Show (we're screening/shadowing it on campus next month), a DVD of greasepaint-animated shorts by Caroline Leaf (The Street/Two Sisters).

Frykitty

Familiar Face
A rather disappointing "Romanzo Criminale".. But a superb "City of Men" the sequel to "City of God" which is also most excellent.
"Night of the Hunter" is this evening flick.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Double Dutch

2 Ronald Reagan B-flickers on Turner:
Smashing the Money Ring, 1939. Dutch is Lieut. Brass Bancroft, Secret Service, who goes undercover as a convict to bust up a counterfeiting operation inside a prison.
Murder in the Air, 1940. Brass and his sidekick Gabby (Eddie Foy Jr.) chase around Fifth Columnists. Special guest appearances by the Un-American Activities Committee and the late lamented dirigible Macon.

Considering these were formula thrillers lasting under an hour, they're pretty damn watchable. Reagan was just about to break big with Kings Row, and you can see he was being groomed for better things. Anyway, I grew up with him in the White House, so it's always nice seeing him as a sharp, young, card-carrying union man...

Warden

One Too Many
Not sure why, but I watched DAS BOOT for the first time in years. I was so impressed that the film had stood up to the test of time, I rushed out and bought the orignal series, all 5 hours of it. Finished watching the series last night.

Has to be one of my top ten war films.

Harry

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The Wedding Rehearsal (1932)

Roland "Topper" Young is a 40ish bachelor wastrel (hmm, my kinda fella) who has to get married or be disowned. Imagine 4 Weddings and a Funeral done by Korda in 1932 with no funeral and you have it. Nothing earthshaking but remarkably well staged, paced and dialogued. Unusual in several small ways:
- One of the actors co-wrote it. That wasn't cricket then.
- Earliest film I'm aware of in which cats play a recurring role.
- First big role for Merle Oberon — who plays the wallflower (!!)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
What Ho!

I've just returned from a Matinee preview of "Easy Virtue" what Topping fun! crackling one liners between Colin Firth and the de lovely Kirsten Scott- Thomas, reminded me of Hepburn and Cary Grant, in the Philadelphia story, I was wondering who Jessica Biel reminded me of, of course! a rather young and very Blonde Joan Crawford, Jessica is a good actress, great Movie future for this young gel!

Joan%2BCrawford%2B(26).jpg

Loved the line "I'm very much like drowning, once you give up the struggle its quite pleasurable"

Do see it its such fun the audience I saw it with "roared"

Miss Mojito, Miss 1929 and other Fedorista Gels, will die for the frocks and hats, whilst the Chaps will lust after the vintage BMW sports car!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Watchmen. Loved most everything about it. The first 3 quarters of the film were perfect. The rest was great. Jackie Earle Haley is the definitive Rorschach, I mean wow, he was phenomenal. I can see a lot of people who aren't fans of the graphic novel coming out of this one and scratching their heads, because it is not the typical movie. It's a weird science fiction film with a 1980's soundtrack and an almost cyberpunk feel in certain parts. 9/10.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Submarine Command (1951)

Overlooked and sensitively done naval drama. William Holden plays a sub XO racked with guilt at the loss of his skipper, whom he could have saved. The war ends and there's marriage and domestic tension with the always lovely Nancy Olson - then comes Korea. William Bendix is good as the requisite burly CPO who salutes the uniform but not the man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner