Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Was The Last Movie You Watched?

Brinybay

Practically Family
crismans said:
I watched Thunder Road today. Being from Kentucky, I expected it to do the normal of painting us as incest-ridden hillbillies. But it didn't and it was a good movie to boot.

I thoroughly enjoyed that movie as a kid when it first came out. I didn't realize at the time that Robert Mitchum also sang the theme song. I think I'll put it in my Netflix que, worth another watch.

Brinybay

Practically Family
Speaking of Kentucky, I just watched John Wayne in The Fighting Kentuckian. Although it was the usual boy-meets-girl, hero-fights-corruption, calvary-comes-to-rescue, boy-gets-girl, good-guys-win-and-justice-prevails type of movie, it was interesting none-the-less. I never saw Oliver Hardy outside his role in the Laurel & Hardy comedy team. What was more interesting than the movie were the production notes. I usually never read those if they're available, but I had some time and read them this time around.

JW produced and directed the movie, but was pressured into using an untalented leading lady because she was the gf of a studio bigshot. She was supposed to be playing a French girl, but she had a heavy Czech accent, so they re-cast all the other actors playing the part of French using other Czech-accented actors so the accents would match hers. JW was not happy about it.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
2012 last night.

It'll distract you for 2.5 hours but utter twaddle. Every cliché in the book, terrible acting and some truly embarrassingly, cringeworthy moments.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Vicky Christina Barcelona - I love a lot of Woody Allen's movies but I have to say this was no Annie Hall or Deconstructing Harry. The whole movie just seemed a bit pointless - it had a weak meandering storyline and lacked the great characters and witty dialogue you usually find in other Allen movies - pretty poor over all.

analiebe

A-List Customer
wasn't an oldie but an amazing swedish film made last year "Låt den rätte komma in" (let the right one in) - possibly the most intriguing, intelligent, beautiful, truly romantic (no shmaltz here) & surprisingly "quiet" vampire film ever made - with an remarkable performance from the young lead actor...

Feraud

Bartender
analiebe said:
wasn't an oldie but an amazing swedish film made last year "Låt den rätte komma in" (let the right one in) - possibly the most intriguing, intelligent, beautiful, truly romantic (no shmaltz here) & surprisingly "quiet" vampire film ever made - with an remarkable performance from the young lead actor...
A great vampire flick.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Just threw the DVD in to watch, it's one I like to rewatch every now and then becasue it is an "enjoyment".
One of my favourite movie lines is delivered by Christian Slater just after he has launched Kevin and Morgan over the castle wall :eusa_clap "F*** me... They cleared it!!!" lol
I rewind that one a couple times and I am a person kinda against the whole coarse language thing as well.

Scooter

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Wild Boys of the Road, dir. William Wellman. Well-balanced mixture of entertainment and social conscience. Some great flowing camera work. Frankie Darro's acrobatics in the last minute- rapid flips followed by spins on his head- are amazing. There's Sterling Holloway not talking like Pooh.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
That was a great little flick. Beware the forthcoming American remake, Let Me In, which will no doubt ruin everything interesting about the original!

NO! Youre kidding!!!
Geeze, they will remake anything to get rid of subtitles, wont they? :eusa_doh:

LD

crismans

New in Town
Christy said:
Crismans was saying that Kentucky was always portrayed that way and I was just saying that I have never thought of Kentucky in that way. In fact, it's one of the places I'd like to visit.

You're very welcome to visit us anytime!

Of course, I shouldn't have generalized the way I did. Unfortunately, I've come across some stereotyping (all put forth as joking, of course) when people first learn when I'm from. It seems that much of Appalachia is viewed under the "Deliverance" umbrella by some.

I'll take that chip off my shoulder now! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner