Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
"Mercy Street" - Kinda like "Downton Abbey" lite as it follows the other. Not GREAT but not entirely awful. Lots of cardboard characters, brutal slavers, kind, wonderful whites... not a lot of greys... The requisite "evil" nurse and martinet doctor. Morphine addiction easily licked in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it'll get a little more interesting as time goes on.
It strikes me as The Knick light, so I agree with you in that aspect. Morphine addiction. Abusive, manic, brilliant doctor. An African-American with more knowledge and skill than the whites will admit or allow to use. An innocent nurse who forms a special relationship with the brilliant doctor. It's rather strange how often it parallels The Knick. I've been trying to figure out if there are simply a limited number of situations in which to work from that period and within medicine; if everyone in the TV industry is just lazy as all get out; if the similarities are known and intentional, as if PBS ordered a light version of The Knick.

*fixed, 'cause one of the sentences made no sense

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Murder Of A President: American Experience. No, none of the ones you are thinking of, Garfield. Long before the self centered orange cat, there was James Garfield, the 20th President of the U.S. tragically shot by a mentally disturbed man, Charles Guiteau. Ironically, his doctor botched the recovery at every turn. Garfield is notable, because he did not seek the nomination, nor did he campaign, and gave but one speech and he still won!

Jekyll and Hyde on CBC, a CBC-ITV co-production. First episode, quite enjoyed it.

Anyone else watching this?

It's funny you asked if anyone else is watching it as there are so many shows on today - and so many good ones - on so many odd ball channels or offered through streaming services, that even really well done shows can be tucked away in these little niches with small audiences. While popular here, I only have one friend who even knows about "The Man in the High Castle," for example.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
It's funny you asked if anyone else is watching it as there are so many shows on today - and so many good ones - on so many odd ball channels or offered through streaming services, that even really well done shows can be tucked away in these little niches with small audiences. While popular here, I only have one friend who even knows about "The Man in the High Castle," for example.

You're right, something can be seen as "can't miss television" or "every one's talking about...", and then you realize it's on a specialty channel that most people can't even access, not on Netflix which contrary to most beliefs doesn't carry everything, and has a niche audience!

Most people I know DO NOT watch Walking Dead! Unbelievable!

As for "Canadian" shows, we tend to think no one else watches them (most of us don't!), and are surprised to learn that they're available elsewhere and are often popular.

Murdoch Mysteries, Bomb Girls, etc.

There is another show, X-Company, loosely based on Camp X, the first spy training centre in North America just east of Toronto. I haven't watched it yet (as you say, so much on!), but hear it's good and is doing well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/x-compa...ired-by-real-life-canadian-spy-camp-1.2959804

^^^. You are so right about there being no "must see" anymore - everyone has their shows. It's a bit of a shame, because I think some really good shows never get a large audience. I always enjoyed "Bomb Girls," disappointed it only made two seasons, but not one single person I know (away from Fedora Lounge) even knows that show exists. And I have "X-Company" on my radar, just need it to pop up on a station or service I have access to.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Murder Of A President: American Experience. No, none of the ones you are thinking of, Garfield. Long before the self centered orange cat, there was James Garfield, the 20th President of the U.S. tragically shot by a mentally disturbed man, Charles Guiteau. Ironically, his doctor botched the recovery at every turn. Garfield is notable, because he did not seek the nomination, nor did he campaign, and gave but one speech and he still won!

Keen. I'll have to look this up. It reminds me of the Johnny Cash song, Mister Garfield.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Caught what I think is the third episode of the new X Files. Let me say that I was never a big big fan of the original, though I acknowledge that it was well done. (I preferred the standalone, "weird pockets of the universe" stories to the long epic of the conspiracy stories.) The one thing I thought it lacked in those days -- though I may have missed some examples, as I didn't watch it every week -- was a sense of humor (I do remember one fun story about the filming of an X Files movie based on Mulder and Scully's cases.) It seems that Chris Carter, or whoever is helming the new series, is allowing a little more humor and snappy dialogue, at least from Mulder.

The other thing that used to annoy me is that, after all their adventures, saving each other's lives, and having a child together, they were still calling each other "Mulder" and "Scully." Uh-uh. Can't see it. But in this most recent episode about the Trash Man, Dana actually calls him "Fox," and I think in this one or in last week's, he addresses her as "Dana." About time!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I caught most of that and noted James Eckhouse, who used to play the understanding father on the original Beverly Hills 90210, showed up as the arrogant but uninformed doctor, and the actress (can't think of her name) who always paired with Vincent D'Onofrio on the Law and Order series, was Garfield's nurse or wife (not sure which).

The Garfield assassination was the one, I expect, that really cemented the old superstition that a president elected every 20 years since 1840, years divisible by 20, would die before he left office. Reagan broke that "curse," but it held remarkably well for 140 years.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Agent Carter on Tuesday night - what a fantastic episode! Really well done.

Supernatural last night - another great one and much better than last week. And next week's episode is a time travel one - and they're going to World War II! I can't wait!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
American Experience: The Perfect Crime. If you think thrill kills and affluenza defense and blaming modern culture are a new phenomenon, guise again! Back in 1923 you had Leopold and Loeb.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Had a hankering for some Hogan's Heroes, so hubby and I watched a few episodes of Season 1. We own the entire series on DVD and have watched them all several times. My daughter loves them.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
Had a hankering for some Hogan's Heroes, so hubby and I watched a few episodes of Season 1. We own the entire series on DVD and have watched them all several times. My daughter loves them.
My wife has been asking if we could set Hogans Heroes on our list of shows to take in! Neither of us have watched it in a long while! It reminded me of Stalag 17, which I haven't seen in a decade or more, and my wife has never seen. And so the list grows!

Edward

Bartender
^^^. You are so right about there being no "must see" anymore - everyone has their shows. It's a bit of a shame, because I think some really good shows never get a large audience. I always enjoyed "Bomb Girls," disappointed it only made two seasons, but not one single person I know (away from Fedora Lounge) even knows that show exists. And I have "X-Company" on my radar, just need it to pop up on a station or service I have access to.

So much ia on subscription, and who has the time to dip into more than one service, let alone the scratch to pay for 'em? There are a few things I'd like to see on Amazon Prime, but I'm not paying for that as well as Netflix!

American Experience: The Perfect Crime. If you think thrill kills and affluenza defense and blaming modern culture are a new phenomenon, guise again! Back in 1923 you had Leopold and Loeb.

Fascinating case; I read all the court papers while I was an undergrad. Also the basis of Hitchcock's Rope.

So much ia on subscription, and who has the time to dip into more than one service, let alone the scratch to pay for 'em? There are a few things I'd like to see on Amazon Prime, but I'm not paying for that as well as Netflix!...

I hear ya. The only reason we have Amazon Prime is that neither my girlfriend nor I like to shop, so we buy most things on-line and have found that Amazon has the best prices 90% of the time (I'm talking about household stuff like cleaning goods, medicine cabinet items, food staples in addition to books, small appliances and even things like t-shirts), so we buy a lot from them and the Prime subscription's free shipping saves us a lot of money over the year - the video streaming is a pure extra as we'd buy Prime without the videos. Also, we both have parents in their 80s who live far away and we are constantly sending them things, so that only adds to the saving we get from free shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko