Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As I keep saying, I still can't believe that it even got a second season! I just hope that they eventually do a DVD release of this season. I recently got the DVDs for season 1, and I'd like to have both - Agent Carter will eventually be a forgotten gem, and I want the whole thing in my collection. Someday, I'll find somebody who never heard of it but will dig it, and it's gonna be binge-watch heaven!

Reminder: ABC's broadcasting TWO new Carter episodes tonight!

I tried watching the new A&E version of "War and Peace" and I gave up after 30 minutes. I was simply bored. Now, this could be because I've had the flu for the past three days!
I have a strong bias, the book is my all time favourite read and I brought a curiosity to see what they did with the material. I loved the sets, the cinematography and they were very true to Tolstoy. I thought the actors really caught the characters as I perceived Tolstoy wrote them. To me it was a homerun and may watch it again........its winter what the hell else do I have to do???

Feraud

Bartender
Good old Netflix.. the wife and I finished a Norwegian series called Occupied. This is a political thriller set in the near future as Norway steps up the environmentally friendly side of it's energy production at the expense of oil production. Europe is unhappy and Russia sends delegates(troops) to urge Norway to return oil production to the status quo. I thought there were a couple of weak spots in the story telling but overall enjoyed it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Good old Netflix.. the wife and I finished a Norwegian series called Occupied. This is a political thriller set in the near future as Norway steps up the environmentally friendly side of it's energy production at the expense of oil production. Europe is unhappy and Russia sends delegates(troops) to urge Norway to return oil production to the status quo. I thought there were a couple of weak spots in the story telling but overall enjoyed it.

I saw this on Netflix and wasn't sure if I should give it a go. Maybe I will now.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
A bunch of episodes of Supernatural today (daughter and I have been down and out with the flu for three days now), and then tonight's two-hour showing of Agent Carter. Oh wow. I loved it. So, so good. The banter between Peggy and Jarvis is brilliant. And I'm cheering for Sousa and Peggy to get together!

Y'know, I think it will be happy endings for everyone but Mary. I may be wrong, but I think she will not have a future husband by the time it's all said and done.

Tom Branson, he might just be the last man standing, he understands Mary and brings out the best in her. He came back to Downton from Boston because he loves Downton as does she - they could be its final caretakers.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Tom Branson, he might just be the last man standing, he understands Mary and brings out the best in her. He came back to Downton from Boston because he love Downton as does she - they could be its final caretakers.
I still think this, though I wavered a bit over this last episode when we saw Tom chatting up Edith's lady editor (or why would Fellowes have had Edith invite her to the race?). The only followup was that Tom said he would walk her out after dinner -- but then we didn't see any interaction between them.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Maybe Netflix will turn up trumps as it has with other shows (notably, Breaking Bad) and step into the breach?

And Longmire, which A&E ditched (after a cliff-hanger ending, just as it killed off The Glades on a cliff-hanger) because, notwithstanding excellent and growing viewership levels, it was appealing to an "older" demographic not to its sponsors' liking.

DNO

One Too Many
And Longmire, which A&E ditched (after a cliff-hanger ending, just as it killed off The Glades on a cliff-hanger) because, notwithstanding excellent and growing viewership levels, it was appealing to an "older" demographic not to its sponsors' liking.

I was a fan of Longmire as well although I found that the Denver investigation storyline was slowing things up a bit. Craig Johnson's books are even better than the TV series.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've been catching a few episodes of the old Ivan Tors-produced Lloyd Bridges adventure half hour, Sea Hunt. It's neat to see actors who later appeared in Star Trek or U.N.C.L.E., or who went on to movie work, when they were young and just starting. The other technique which, I think, helped to make the show a big hit in its day was the voiceover narration by Bridges' character, Mike Nelson. His crisp voice makes the narration sound like a noir private eye thriller, but with scuba gear instead of autos, suits, and fedoras. And Bridges' Nelson was a sharp dresser on dry land: he wore polo shirts, but often with the collar turned up.

The other show on MeTV is the early Sixties oater Laramie. Neither of the show's leads is known today, but a lot of actors and actresses from Sixties and Seventies TV turn up, and it's fun to spot 'em.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
As I'm a bit of a teacher's widower right now, I watched episode one season two of Penny Dreadful which was totally awesome, but then my wife had time to watch last night's Supernatural which was time travelly-awesome!

Watched most of the first hour of "Agent Carter" from a few nights ago (will watch the rest, hopefully, tonight). The style continues to be outstanding, the individual acting, for the most part, is strong, the interpersonal relationships between the characters feel genuine and fun (Peggy and Jarvis are the best and I love that, for once, Hollywood is writing a male-female friendship without sexual overtones dominating or even distorting - Jarvis and his wife seem so solid that everyone is comfortable with the friendship - bravo), but the story line is only okay and the science seems like "let's make it up as we go" (why Whitney Frost's "black matter" jumps into some people and not others is odd at best). I'm a fan, but I understand why it isn't taking off: if you care less about style and character building and more about a strong story line and thought-out science fiction you'd be disappointed.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I pretty much agree. There is SO much that this series gets right, but the season's overall plot is not very compelling, and its handling of zero matter isn't even good comic-book pseudoscience. It gets an A+ for style and performances, and for a lot of its approach (dealing smartly with racial/sexual prejudice issues, battling the entrenched oligarchy, cold war paranoia, etc.)... but it's missing something that the first season did a bit better.

(See this perceptive review of the 2/9 episode by Tom & Lorenzo - I don't necessarily agree with all of it, but it does articulate some of the things that are different this season:

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2016/02/agent-carter-the-atomic-job/ )

And I'm not surprised that the series only has a small cult following - the vast majority of today's viewing audience has little or no interest in anything about the 1940s!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner