Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I was fully prepared to hate it because of the harsh language, but when I looked past all of the cussing (of which there is a lot), it is a really lovely series. Gritty, violent, but almost Shakespearean dialogue. I especially like Al's monologs. I hope you get to enjoy it. But be warned - you'll likely get hooked.

Al's full-force swearing is so over the top, so aggressive that it almost becomes white noise. I worked on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange in the 1980s, and cursing was normal, but there was one guy who couldn't - literally could not - get a sentence out without using a cuss word and used the "F" word as every single part of speech - it could be a noun, verb, adjective, etc. Hence, he could make a full sentence out of different versions of the "F" word and did: "That effin, ef, effin, eff'ed me." Oh, and he was my first boss on Wall Street - all 275lbs of him. And a great guy, treated people fairly, but yelled at everyone one and cursed at everyone, but was honest, decent and fair - today's touchy feely world couldn't appreciate and understand a man like him, but he was better than 99% of the people out there, then and now.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Man in the High Castle" (after the first few episodes) is some of the best TV ever made. I can't wait to hear your opinion.

I finally finished it last night. I'm glad we're getting a second season because I'm confused and disturbed... The plot is a bit confusing and the whole alternate history people are in is VERY disturbing. The female lead is really beginning to annoy me with her whole "torn between two lovers" schtick and I'm sooooo tired of her doing things antithetical to common sense. You're dealing with the most ruthless conqueror of modern times in the Nazi's... leading with your emotions (oh he saved my life I must save his) is going to you and lot of other people kilt daid and it makes no sense. That whole tween romance/twilight drivel detracts from what is otherwise an engrossing piece of fiction. Still despite this quibble I can't wait till next year. Right up there with G.o.T's if you aske me.

Worf

For the Deadwood fans, check out the other top level Milch creations of Luck and NYPD Blue. Deadwood was born out of NYPD Blue. You'd be surprised how much of it, including the cast, has been with Milch for a really long time. Luck is nice because it is only a 9-episode investment. If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times: Milch is one of the all-time greatest TV writers.
NYPD Blue was/is a great show. During its run, it was easily my favorite show. Great characters, great writing, and great acting. In my opinion, the high point of their careers for most of the cast.
:D

I finally finished it last night. I'm glad we're getting a second season because I'm confused and disturbed... The plot is a bit confusing and the whole alternate history people are in is VERY disturbing. The female lead is really beginning to annoy me with her whole "torn between two lovers" schtick and I'm sooooo tired of her doing things antithetical to common sense. You're dealing with the most ruthless conqueror of modern times in the Nazi's... leading with your emotions (oh he saved my life I must save his) is going to you and lot of other people kilt daid and it makes no sense. That whole tween romance/twilight drivel detracts from what is otherwise an engrossing piece of fiction. Still despite this quibble I can't wait till next year. Right up there with G.o.T's if you aske me.

Worf
If she were to fall from a great height it might help to knock some sense in her or if we are lucky, she might just splatter about.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
MythBusters. Gummy Bears powered rocket and a poop powered rocket! Yes, you read that right. I am going to miss their crazy adventures!

Deadwood...I was fully prepared to hate it because of the harsh language, but when I looked past all of the cussing (of which there is a lot)...
The language bothered us as well, at first, but not for long...
Al's full-force swearing is so over the top, so aggressive that it almost becomes white noise...
Just in case anyone might be interested, shortly after Deadwood had been declared "a hit" the Los Angeles Times ran an article about the show's use of "colorful" language. They verified the words, terms, and phrases heard in the show were indeed in use in the late-1800s. They went on to explain that Deadwood, South Dakota, was one of those towns where the veneer of civility barely existed--the worst kind of behavior was tolerated, and even encouraged--so the use of such language in the show, and the way they used it, was appropriate.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night's episode of The Walking Dead (brilliant!) and a couple of episodes of Brooklyn 99, where Charles Boyle gets shot in the line of duty saving Diaz, then gets a medal of valour - along with a horse that outranks him!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Last night's episode of The Walking Dead (brilliant!) and a couple of episodes of Brooklyn 99, where Charles Boyle gets shot in the line of duty saving Diaz, then gets a medal of valour - along with a horse that outranks him!

Yeah a complete 180 from last weeks Walking Dead and in a GREAT way. Ahm gonna keep me mouth shut as I try not to cause any spoilage.... but oooooh dat wuz good!!!!

Worf

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
NOVA: Iceman Reborn. Amazing what they can do with 3D printing. Also, amazing how Otzi keeps reveling more and more secrets. Not bad for a young man of over 5,000 years old!

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
The wife and I finally succumbed to peer pressure and started watching Parks and Recreation. Television shows or films that emulate reality television are not normally my thing. I reckon it's just a personal preference, but I find them frustrating. That said, after sticking out the first season we are hooked. We're already halfway through the third season. It's fantastic.

Tonight we also caught the finale of the X-Files season 10. I enjoyed the new series. It captured the feeling of the original series in a way I was not sure they could, and look forward to the cast and creators getting back to the stuff that made the X-Files great.

Hell on Wheels. My wife has only viewed moments here and there while I was watching it, so I suggested we start from the beginning if she was interested. Over the weekend we watched the first season and the first couple of episodes of the second season. I knew she was sincerely interested when she asked if we could continue watching it this evening. :D If we can keep up this pace, I might just be able to get her completely caught up before the final seven episodes air later this year.

Downton Abbey. Oh, what a wonderful episode! Mary finally got her comeuppance and it was delicious to watch.

Didn't it feel as if these two episodes were on speed or something - scenes kept flying by, one after another conflict came up, hit a peak and got resolved: Branson's suicide attempt, Molesley's teaching career fails then succeeds, Mrs. Patmore's B&B has scandal and the family rescues it, Mary and Edith meet in Thunderdome and then make up, Mary tosses Talbot out and then marries him (!), Edith gets engaged (almost) and then loses him (my guess, he'll be back). It was hard to keep up.

As to Mary and Edith - fantastic fight scene. Those two hate each other and, IMHO, it would have been better without the make-up scene as that felt forced; whereas, the hatred felt real. Although, Edith's speech about shared youth and memories was poignant. I know Worf thinks Mary is evil, but after what Edith did with the Turkish Embassy, I've always felt it was gloves-off for these two and neither one should complain about that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred