Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Hell on Wheels. My wife has only viewed moments here and there while I was watching it, so I suggested we start from the beginning if she was interested. Over the weekend we watched the first season and the first couple of episodes of the second season. I knew she was sincerely interested when she asked if we could continue watching it this evening. :D If we can keep up this pace, I might just be able to get her completely caught up before the final seven episodes air later this year.

One of our favourite shows. We're disappointed it's ending...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
On MeTv or Grit or one of the basic cable/broadcast channels, I caught an episode of Steve McQueen's 1960s vehicle Wanted: Dead or Alive. I still don't care overmuch for McQueen or his acting style. However, what I enjoyed was that his character, Josh Randall, is smart! To earn bounty money, he needs to go into Apache territory and bring back Charlie Red Cloud (Jay Silverheels) -- which is likely to get him killed. So he thinks ahead. He swaps clothes with Charlie and rides behind him, so any Apache watchers will think Charlie has taken the white man prisoner. Beyond that, he brings horseshoes and nails and has Charlie shoe his Indian pony, then sends it off away from them. This way the Apache followers will track the newly-shod horse, thinking it's Randall's, while Josh and Charlie ride double on Josh's horse in a different direction.

All of this twistiness in a half-hour show, yet. Quite nice. I'd like it better if Josh Randall had been played by Robert Culp or somebody, but still, nicely done.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Didn't it feel as if these two episodes were on speed or something - scenes kept flying by, one after another conflict came up, hit a peak and got resolved: Branson's suicide attempt, Molesley's teaching career fails then succeeds, Mrs. Patmore's B&B has scandal and the family rescues it, Mary and Edith meet in Thunderdome and then make up, Mary tosses Talbot out and then marries him (!), Edith gets engaged (almost) and then loses him (my guess, he'll be back). It was hard to keep up.

As to Mary and Edith - fantastic fight scene. Those two hate each other and, IMHO, it would have been better without the make-up scene as that felt forced; whereas, the hatred felt real. Although, Edith's speech about shared youth and memories was poignant. I know Worf thinks Mary is evil, but after what Edith did with the Turkish Embassy, I've always felt it was gloves-off for these two and neither one should complain about that.

Yeah, I agree, it felt rather rushed. I was just so happy for Edith and Tom to give Mary what for!

Yeah, I agree, it felt rather rushed. I was just so happy for Edith and Tom to give Mary what for!

Tom doesn't hold back and, because she so respects him, she takes it from him and even - after reflection - follows some of his advice. They have an outstanding dynamic. Edith is hardly a saint though. She should have told Bertie about Marigold - no decent person goes into a marriage with a lie of that magnitude.

One of our favourite shows. We're disappointed it's ending...
Same here. I think they could have done a sixth season, especially considering it took approximately six years to build the first transcontinental railroad line, but that would have required careful story planning and a guarantee from AMC at the onset that they would produce six seasons--a near impossibility in today's television industry. Whatever their reasons for calling it quits after five seasons, I'll be sorry to see it go.

Just beginning to watch "Wallander" produced by the Brits with Kenneth Brannaugh in the lead. The Swedes have made a version as well and it is going to start running on one of our cable channels next week. It will be interesting to see how the diff countries handle the same material as they were produced simultaneiously.

Just beginning to watch "Wallander" produced by the Brits with Kenneth Brannaugh in the lead. The Swedes have made a version as well and it is going to start running on one of our cable channels next week. It will be interesting to see how the diff countries handle the same material as they were produced simultaneiously.
I've been meaning to start watching this series, but have yet to get around to it. Is it worth the time?
:D

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Tom doesn't hold back and, because she so respects him, she takes it from him and even - after reflection - follows some of his advice. They have an outstanding dynamic. Edith is hardly a saint though. She should have told Bertie about Marigold - no decent person goes into a marriage with a lie of that magnitude.

Oh, I quite agree. I was disappointed in Edith. She should have known better.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Agent Carter. One more episode left in this season. I've heard they may not be renewing it (since Hayley Atwell has signed on for a pilot for ABC), so I hope they tie up loose ends.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The b/w-film-noir-into-MGM-musical dream sequence in last night's second Agent Carter episode was a highlight of this often great, but also frequently frustrating series. The plot machinations become ever more byzantine, the supporting characters more and more cartoonish, and the insistently relentless forward motion is downright exhausting... but then you get character sequences with tremendous heart and feeling, or something completely unexpected and gonzo like Peggy's dream. Here's another interesting review that observes how uneven, but in many ways outstanding, Agent Carter is:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wa...ame-the-best-comic-book-show-nobodys-watching

The other show on MeTV is the early Sixties oater Laramie. Neither of the show's leads is known today, but a lot of actors and actresses from Sixties and Seventies TV turn up, and it's fun to spot 'em.

I catch Laramie on EWST every now and then. Watched an episode the other day and had forgotten about Hoagy Carmichael being a regular.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yes, quite rushed -- enough material for two more hour-long episodes. And Edith should have simply looked at Mary after her betrayal and said, in a cold dead voice: "I will never speak to you again as long as I live."

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Didn't it feel as if these two episodes were on speed or something - scenes kept flying by, one after another conflict came up, hit a peak and got resolved: Branson's suicide attempt, Molesley's teaching career fails then succeeds, Mrs. Patmore's B&B has scandal and the family rescues it, Mary and Edith meet in Thunderdome and then make up, Mary tosses Talbot out and then marries him (!), Edith gets engaged (almost) and then loses him (my guess, he'll be back). It was hard to keep up.
It could be so many things. Fellowes fell off his game there for a couple seasons, and now he's rushing to give everyone happy endings. He's writing another series, so maybe that was too much of a distraction for him? Dan Stevens wanting off the show so suddenly (or what appeared to be so suddenly) could have thrown a wrench in the entire story line, and it took Fellowes a couple seasons to find his way again? It's interesting, for sure. He definitely brought his A-game this final season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24