Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Dave Kingman? Dave Kingman? Did you say.... DAVE KINGMAN??????? Wow did you "date" yourself with that reference. I was livin' in Queens and a die-hard Mets Fan when Dave "King Kongman" broke into the bigs. Great power, low average and Kong had a better personality. Still the only man with 500 home runs NOT in the Hall of Fame if I recall correctly. Whadda Marooon.

Worf
Sadly, there are quite a few players with 500 plus dingers not in the Hall. That steroid thing, proven or otherwise, has kept some big name players from coming anywhere close to getting the needed votes. And yeah, I agree he was a Marooon and frustrating.
:D
Oh yeah, the Blue Jays team make contact at a much higher/better rate than Kingman.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Last week worked through our usual fare of dvr-ed shows: Blacklist, Bluebloods, Designated Survivor, Agents of SHIELD (youngest Shellhammer completely jawed up over Ghost Rider on the show)

green papaya

One Too Many
EqualizerS1.jpg

Season One The Equalizer:

LADY COP [Oct 16, 1985]

A young policewoman hires McCall when she finds that her partner and his cronies are corrupt, and intend to make sure that she doesn't blow the whistle on them.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, there are quite a few players with 500 plus dingers not in the Hall. That steroid thing, proven or otherwise, has kept some big name players from coming anywhere close to getting the needed votes. And yeah, I agree he was a Marooon and frustrating.
:D
Oh yeah, the Blue Jays team make contact at a much higher/better rate than Kingman.

You're correct BUT I wasn't considering the Steroid Era when remembering him. Still considering his loathsome demeanor, he could've been an early juicer but I doubt it.

Worf

"Timeless -" what a mess of a show. I want to like it, but its writing is barely controlled chaos. It's written as if they've seen other well-done shows and try and put in lines and scenes that are similar, but don't do the real work to construct a complex story line from the ground up or build well-rounded characters so that those impactful lines and scenes are the result of a well-developed story arc.

Even the directing and editing is awkward as the transition from scene to scene feels off or jarring quite often. As TV has upped its game with so many great shows, mediocre ones like this look worse by comparison.

Edward

Bartender
On Netflix, I'm still enjoying Gotham (just one episode of series two left to go), and I Zombie. On regular television (though, as with everything else, we watch it on online catch-up), we're currently enjoying The Victorain Slum, a BBC show in which several family groups get to experience living in arecreated slum-building and life as it would have been in Victorian London. Episode one was the 1860s, with the latest, Episode 2, being the 1870s. I preseume the rest of the series will continue a decade at a time until the 1890s, Victoria having carked it in 1901. Fascinating stuff, and particularly important in an era in which so many people's idea of social history is gained from trite rubbish like Downton Abbey, with no real depiction of how life actually was for so many. I hope they produce a similar series for later periods too, into the 20th century. The 1940s House and such were great, but very the bottom of the heap live in any era, even our own, is instructive about that society. One of the most interesting things about The Victorian Slum is its consideration of piecework and attitudes towards 'deserving' and 'underserving' poor, the shocking bit being how relatable it all is to contemporary society.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
On regular television (though, as with everything else, we watch it on online catch-up), we're currently enjoying The Victorain Slum, a BBC show in which several family groups get to experience living in arecreated slum-building and life as it would have been in Victorian London.
Maybe a decade ago or so, this was popular here in the USA. I miss it. Canada public TV had a show or two as well. I enjoyed them all. I wish I could remember the titles. There's probably a Wiki page with them all collected.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Most recently this week's Gotham (great stuff), last night's Supernatural (man, this is going to be a GREAT season - hopefully not the swan song season, we'll see), and another The IT Crowd (final episode of season one, Aunt Irma's Visit, hilarious!).

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
"Timeless -" what a mess of a show. I want to like it, but its writing is barely controlled chaos. It's written as if they've seen other well-done shows and try and put in lines and scenes that are similar, but don't do the real work to construct a complex story line from the ground up or build well-rounded characters so that those impactful lines and scenes are the result of a well-developed story arc.

Even the directing and editing is awkward as the transition from scene to scene feels off or jarring quite often. As TV has upped its game with so many great shows, mediocre ones like this look worse by comparison.

Wow. Harsh much? I've found that with most shows in their first season they can be terrible. Not only are the actors feeling out their characters, but everybody else is figuring out where the show is going to go. Maybe it'll get better for you next month when sweeps goes on in November. If that's still a thing?

I'm at least willing to give it a try for the time being until I can't take it any more. :confused:

Wow. Harsh much? I've found that with most shows in their first season they can be terrible. Not only are the actors feeling out their characters, but everybody else is figuring out where the show is going to go. Maybe it'll get better for you next month when sweeps goes on in November. If that's still a thing?

I'm at least willing to give it a try for the time being until I can't take it any more. :confused:

Now you've made me feel bad :(. I think my frustration came from both my high hopes and - based on the overall quality of TV nowadays - expectations being so not met. Like, you, I'm willing to hang in there a bit longer, but it's got to get better soon.

Edit add: "Frequency" another time-travel or, at least, time-lines-overlap show is doing a better job of creating some credible characters and investing the time to build out the story. Not great, but more promising than "Timeless."

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I am also frustrated with Timeless, because it's an intriguing show based on an interesting idea. But it's been a disappointment so far. I'm gonna keep watching for a while though. It's too soon to write it off, at least for a couple of more episodes.

Last night was the first time I've sat down to the TV in as long as I can remember. Curiousity got the better of me, and I checked out most of Fox's redo of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It started raining during the last half hour and that was it for the digital signal, unfortunately.
For the most part it was what I expected from a TV remake, but I was impressed with Laverne Cox. She did Tim Curry justice in the role.
And of course, Tim Curry did Tim Curry justice. It was good to see him hanging on.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Maybe a decade ago or so, this was popular here in the USA. I miss it. Canada public TV had a show or two as well. I enjoyed them all. I wish I could remember the titles. There's probably a Wiki page with them all collected.
It was driving me nuts that I couldn't remember the titles. I hope this link works for everyone. Many of these historical/research reality TV series are shown. I was particularly thinking of Frontier House and Klondike. It appears these are much more common and liked in the UK. The most brutal one I remember was in Canada with Voyagers re-enacting a portage with these very heavy, solid wood boats. It might be the Quest fo the Bay series.

https://historicalrealitytv.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/list-of-all-known-historical-reality-tv-shows/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou