Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The season premier of Supernatural, awesomeness!

YES!!! That's what I watched, too! Unfortunately, our local CW station had a local football game on instead of Supernatural and we had to wait until 11 p.m. to watch it. I was *not* happy, especially as they'd been advertising Supernatural all week for the regular time bracket.

Anyway, it was an excellent season premiere. I feel like the show is getting back to its roots - lots of good stuff to come.

Stranger Things on Netflix. After reading some of the favorable posts here, and having had a couple of friends suggest I give it a go, I watched the first three episodes. Is it going to get better any time soon, or should I just stop watching now?

A couple of episodes of FOX's The Exorcist. Better than I thought it would be. We will continue to watch it while we search for something to fill the PennyDreadful/Boardwalk Empire/Peaky Blinders (and to some extent) Ripper Street void.
:D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Stranger Things on Netflix. After reading some of the favorable posts here, and having had a couple of friends suggest I give it a go, I watched the first three episodes. Is it going to get better any time soon, or should I just stop watching now?

Your call, but if you don't enjoy it 30% of the way in, you'll probably not enjoy the remainder. We were hooked from the outset.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up

Oh, I loved it from the get go!

Your call, but if you don't enjoy it 30% of the way in, you'll probably not enjoy the remainder. We were hooked from the outset.
Oh, I loved it from the get go!
Yeah, I jumped the gun a bit there. But after nearly three hours of being mostly bored by it, I was beginning to think this simply wasn't the show for me. I don't mind a leisurely pace, but if you're going to tell your story that way you need to make it and/or the characters interesting, and I didn't find that to be the case. Also, the first two episodes gave me a bit of a "Twin Peaks meets The X-Files" vibe, and I didn't care for either of those shows.

I watched episode 4, and once the characters had pulled their heads out of their keisters and started trying to actively figure out how and why these people had disappeared it got more interesting to me. After watching the fourth episode I watched the fifth. Then the sixth...and the seventh...and the eighth. So I've now seen the entire first season. There were things I liked about it and, obviously, things I didn't. And I had two of the "big reveals" figured out by the second episode because I've seen too many movies and television shows like this. Regardless, I liked it well enough to want to watch the second season when it becomes available. Even with my minor quibbles I think it's still better than 90% of what's on television these days.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A 1973 episode of Star Trek: The Animated Series, in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best episode of the whole season-and-a-half run. "The Slaver Weapon" was written by SF great Larry Niven from his own early short story "The Soft Weapon," and it comes across almost intact from the print version. Via shuttlecraft, Spock, Sulu, and Uhura are conveying a Slaver stasis box, an artifact of a civilization 1.5 billion years old, back to the Enterprise. They are duped and captured by Niven's fearsome catlike aliens the Kzinti: carnivores who, we're told, have fought 4 wars with humankind. "The last," Sulu tells the alien captain, "was 200 years ago, and you haven't learned a thing since." And the kzinti discover a device inside the box which changes shape for each function -- one of which is a weapon the Federation can't match, and of which Sulu says, "If the kzinti had that, the whole galaxy would be their dinner table!"

Niven does a great job setting out the important elements of his story, and yet finding time to tell us details about kzinti culture, including one crucial to the plot, and working the kzinti and the Slavers into the Star Trek universe. I think it a shame that Roddenberry declared nearly everything in ST:TAS to be non-canon, and so the kzinti were lost.

Trivia: It was also the only Original Series or Animated episode to have no appearance by either Kirk or the Enterprise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart