Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The Big Bang Theory.

Sheldon gets his groove on, and wants to do some baby making with Amy. Ordinarily gasping for affection from him, she flees his advances.

Best line - describing his cool seduction technique at one point as "Brat pack Pee Wee Herman"!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
That's the character in the graphic novel. What are they supposed to do, focus on his backstory and examine the factors that lead him to become as he is? Then people would be complaining (as they have here and elsewhere) about the "boring" backstory.

Remember - in the story arc in that episode, Rick and gang are only 72 hours from the massacre. We've only just been introduced to Negan. He's breaking Rick and gang down, peeing around Alexandria to show them who's the alpha.

This story line isn't going to be resolved by episode five!

Let us embrace his psychotic mannerisms! ALL HAIL NEGAN!

As for Rick, what a milquetoast p&%%# he's turned into!

All hail ROSITA!

Week WHATEVER and I'm still OFF the band wagon. Mr. Gimple will NEVER ever get another precious minute of my time. You can Hail Negan, Rosita, Rocky and Bullwinkle for all I care... I'm through being manipulated for manipulation's sake.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Black Mirror" - Got binged with 4 of 6 episodes of Season 3 last night. Truly amazing stuff. Disturbing, gripping, fascinating and never boring. Definitely this generations "Twilight Zone/Outer Limits". Just wish I could get more! Don't think it's still a British affair as at least half the stories are American based right now. Hasn't hurt it one bit though... if anything it's just broadened the palette. Great stuff. Netflix is killing it as far as I'm concerned.

Worf

Last edited:
That's the character in the graphic novel. What are they supposed to do, focus on his backstory and examine the factors that lead him to become as he is? Then people would be complaining (as they have here and elsewhere) about the "boring" backstory.

Remember - in the story arc in that episode, Rick and gang are only 72 hours from the massacre. We've only just been introduced to Negan. He's breaking Rick and gang down, peeing around Alexandria to show them who's the alpha.

This story line isn't going to be resolved by episode five!

Let us embrace his psychotic mannerisms! ALL HAIL NEGAN!

As for Rick, what a milquetoast p&%%# he's turned into!

All hail ROSITA!
I understand that is who he is in the book, but for me that doesn't translate as well for tv. They have never been strictly by the book so why now? I don't expect it to be over in five episodes, nor do I want it to be. Show me something else. Show me a broader spectrum of the world of Negan. Change it up.
:D

"Good Girl Revolt," Amazon's entry in the "Mad Men" look alike contest. It's set in the late 1960s in a weekly magazine's (think "Time") newsroom with the theme being that the women who are denied by policy and / or tradition the executive and reporter roles (instead, they are secretaries and researchers) begin to advocate for advancement (hence, the "revolt" in the title).

I'm four episodes in and, so far, it does a very good, but not super great job of capturing the style and vibe of the period and is less perfectly stylized than "Mad Men" was. While there is some thought to story arc and character development over episodes, it has much less of a long-range vision than "Mad Men" had and, unfortunately, forces characters to do things for the convenience of a particular episode's needs.

Also, there's a smugness to the writers' and producers' obvious glee at being on the right side of history which, IMHO, is immature and off putting as it is easy to look at the 1960s and get the politics right from a 2016 perspective; whereas, at the time the issues where not as clear cut as tradition and culture had inculcated a way of thinking that not everyone could simply "see through" to the better world. Not all those who supported the status quo were neanderthal thinkers and evil people of either low intelligence or ill intent.

But even with that, the stories and characters are decent, making the show, overall, a sold B and worth watching for the style and time-travel feel alone.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I understand that is who he is in the book, but for me that doesn't translate as well for tv. They have never been strictly by the book so why now? I don't expect it to be over in five episodes, nor do I want it to be. Show me something else. Show me a broader spectrum of the world of Negan. Change it up.
:D

So, you mean a look at his feminine side?! :cool:

Was told there will be only one more season of Longmire. Tell me it isn't so! :eek:
I enjoy the show, but I think it has pretty much run it's course. In season five the focus was on the main characters far more than on the "crime of the week" as it had been in the previous seasons, and it's getting a little too "soap opera-ish".

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Agreed. Either this character and part of the book doesn't translate well...or they can't translate it well...or they aren't translating it well. Personally, I feel it is Gimple screwing things up with his pretentious gimmicks (Glenn underneath the dumpster), but that aside, they're now spending entire seasons on one big situation that result in smallish character developments. The gimmicks suck. Period. I know Gimple fancies himself using classic techniques and devices, thus he can now claim to be part of classic TV. Borrowed crap. Maybe you could pull that off in the past, but now that there is so much good and interesting TV, you better push boundaries and not rely on plastic, manipulative, used and abused storytelling ideas. They lack the sophistication and nuance I expect out of my TV today. Back to the entire season/big problem deal...I'm not interested in watching these overblown situations for a dozen episodes. They aren't doing it well. They're dragging through elements just to fill space (or at least it feels like it, which is all that matters...I'm noticing the drag rather than the story), which also fails at creating healthy drama. What do I mean by healthy drama? Drama which hinders the suspended belief and becomes a burden to the watcher. You're watching, but genuine joy and interest gets tested week after week. Maybe four episodes? Maybe five episodes to work through the Negan conflict? I get that they now have a series to push into an unknown number of seasons. I understand some of the considerations they have to make, but what they're doing hasn't worked for me for a couple years now. You can check into this show every handful or so episodes and not feel like you missed much. Maybe this is what happens when they, and we, are into a series this long, but there we are. See ya.

Sorry, but it's true. Just poked around on imdb & found this: "The New Mexico Film Board confirmed that a seventh and final season of Longmire will begin filming here in March of 2017. Looks like we have ten episodes to go."
Best-case scenario, this means it will be a year before we see any new episodes. Bummer. I went through season six in three nights. :cool:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Last night's The Walking Dead.

I have but one issue with the season so far, probably not fixable, but with, what, four main physical sites now (Alexandria, Hilltop, the Kingdom and the Saviours' HQ), we're spending multiple episodes without seeing many characters.

Again, not much to be done, but it sure ramps up the anticipation factor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy