Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

They really do. And they do a really good job of it.
:D

You are so right.

I loathe Time Warner, which just became Spectrum to much self congratulations, but the change only reminds me of The Who song "Won't Get Fooled Again -" they are all the same and they all are horrible.

My most recent reason for hating them (reason #2483) is that my cable box needed to be reset every third day and instead of coming out to replace it, they wanted me to take it to a "center" and swap it myself. WTF! They had the nerve to want me to unhook the thing, travel with it somewhere, wait on line, travel back home, hook it up (like that ever works easily the first time) versus them sending a guy out with a replacement.

I reminded them that it was their cable box not mine and that I only rented it for $8 a month, so they could get out here to replace their broken rental box if they still wanted me to pay a rental fee for it. They did, but it was very clear that they basically wanted to turn me into their service guy (and save them $s) - it is so obnoxious.

The gall these companies have - they are always trying to get you to do their work.

Ironically, this was another show enjoyed by many in the wardroom, but that I just could not "get into".
I understand how you feel. Quite often I have felt the same way about a show that so many enjoyed and I just couldn't get into. I didn't think that I would like it as it was concerned with the exploits of a man who deserved what he had coming, but I was very wrong. Lady ToE said let's give it a shot and we did. I was sucked in from the get go. Great acting, writing, directing, and cinematography. So overall well done. One of the best shows I have ever watched. Yep, I enjoyed it that much.

Edward

Bartender
Taboo: "I'll see what I can do since the writers, directors and actors all work for free, the producers put up their money as charity and the sets and location shots don't cost us anything, nor does the army of set workers and other operational support get paid. Hence, I apologize, for the inconvenience of advertising which you subverted by recording the show anyway."

Fading Fast: (appropriately cowed) "Sorry?, can I send you a check or something"

Taboo: "No, of course not, and sorry to come down hard on you, but it's a little frustrating to constantly hear the complaining. It's hard enough to get people to watch a show with the bazillion options out there and then to hear grousing about a few lousy commercials [muttered very softly by Fading Fast: 'a few?'] that allow us to MAYBE keep the show on the air."

Bravo, well played. I always try and remember this when we watch stuff on UK Channel 4's free online catch-up service. I do wish the lack of such annoying breaks (as well as the rapidly diminmishing advertising income for advertising-dependent commercial channels, and all the consequences that brings) was better understood here in the UK by those that whine about being "forced" to pay for the BBC....

The Big Bang Theory. Any one else notice the sound of Bernadette and Howard's baby crying? I am wondering if maybe we will never actually see her, just hear her like the late great Miss. Wolowitz?

Cute idea. I'm waiting for that final season to drop on Netflix UK still, though tbh the last couple of series have somewhat tested my patience. The Sheldon/Amy relationship continues to be the most convincing; Bernadette / Wolowitz is great.... but really, Raj going from not being able to speak to a woman while sober to some sort of two-timing Lothario? I guess this must be the dozenth time I've seen Pretty in Pink remade, and it gets less convincing every time.... As for Penny and Leonard, enough already. I've never been convinced by their dysfunctional relationship at all - not even since she became a magically smart businesswoman instead of an airhead failed actress overnight. The only logical conclusion is for them to fail spectacularly, but I doubt there'll be any place for realism in the way they wind the show up. It feels as if it's been extended a season or two just past what its natural lifespan should have been.

A Netflix alert let me know that new episodes of Ripper Street were just released. So last night, we watched a couple of episodes of season four of Ripper Street. It was nice to see the old familiar faces.

I'm looking forward to season five in due course.... it'll be interesting to see how they end it. I'm hoping that they'll take it to the death of Victorianism and Victoria, and the birth of the Twentieth century (with appropriate Ripper reference) in 1901.

Bravo, well played. I always try and remember this when we watch stuff on UK Channel 4's free online catch-up service. I do wish the lack of such annoying breaks (as well as the rapidly diminmishing advertising income for advertising-dependent commercial channels, and all the consequences that brings) was better understood here in the UK by those that whine about being "forced" to pay for the BBC....

Cute idea. I'm waiting for that final season to drop on Netflix UK still, though tbh the last couple of series have somewhat tested my patience. The Sheldon/Amy relationship continues to be the most convincing; Bernadette / Wolowitz is great.... but really, Raj going from not being able to speak to a woman while sober to some sort of two-timing Lothario? I guess this must be the dozenth time I've seen Pretty in Pink remade, and it gets less convincing every time.... As for Penny and Leonard, enough already. I've never been convinced by their dysfunctional relationship at all - not even since she became a magically smart businesswoman instead of an airhead failed actress overnight. The only logical conclusion is for them to fail spectacularly, but I doubt there'll be any place for realism in the way they wind the show up. It feels as if it's been extended a season or two just past what its natural lifespan should have been.

I'm looking forward to season five in due course.... it'll be interesting to see how they end it. I'm hoping that they'll take it to the death of Victorianism and Victoria, and the birth of the Twentieth century (with appropriate Ripper reference) in 1901.

I am happy to hear that there will be a fifth season. I am not happy that it will end. The show seems to have picked up in quality during season three and I would like that to continue on more than thirteen episodes. Too much of the garbage seems to go on and on, while the good ends way too soon. :D

You are so right.

I loathe Time Warner, which just became Spectrum to much self congratulations, but the change only reminds me of The Who song "Won't Get Fooled Again -" they are all the same and they all are horrible.

My most recent reason for hating them (reason #2483) is that my cable box needed to be reset every third day and instead of coming out to replace it, they wanted me to take it to a "center" and swap it myself. WTF! They had the nerve to want me to unhook the thing, travel with it somewhere, wait on line, travel back home, hook it up (like that ever works easily the first time) versus them sending a guy out with a replacement.

I reminded them that it was their cable box not mine and that I only rented it for $8 a month, so they could get out here to replace their broken rental box if they still wanted me to pay a rental fee for it. They did, but it was very clear that they basically wanted to turn me into their service guy (and save them $s) - it is so obnoxious.

The gall these companies have - they are always trying to get you to do their work.
Their motto is "The customer is always at fault." At least that is what it feels like.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Even though it was originally aired this past Tuesday, it was not on Demand which is odd and rare. If we had stayed up to after midnight, we could have watched it, but that was not going to happen. As for the commercials, they annoy the heck out of us as well. Maybe we have been spoiled, but I don't believe that is it. It seems as if there is as much time dedicated to commercials as there is show. :D

Not on the on demand service, gotcha!

We missed setting the PVR to record this as we had access issues (satellite service was down), so we set it to record all shows, hoping they'd repeat episode one at some point, which they soon did. Now we're just recording new episodes as they come out.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Victoria Part 2. It is amazing all the changes to the world in her lifetime! Just the firearms in the military. Flintlock muskets, cap and ball rifles, breach loading rifles, repeating rifles, not to mention the Gatling gun to machine-gun. We finally see Prince Albert, and no, he wasn't in a can!

Three episodes into "Last Tango in Halifax" and we are fully engaged in the characters. Not sure if there is a third season as Netflix has just the two listed. We will watch it through to the end. It has a wonderful charm and as usual the Brit actors are superb. Anne Reid is over 80 and still grand, Derek Jacobi is only a few years behind her.

Caught a few episodes on Netflix of a 2014 Spanish TV show "The Time In Between."

Set in the between-the-wars years (Worf - that's one of your favorites, just saying), this - I believe it was / is a TV show in Spain - is well done. It follows the life of a young seamstress, born in Spain, but through relationships and mishaps is now (I'm at episode three) living in Northern Africa and can't get back to Spain, in part, because of the Spanish Civil War.

The show's a mix of soap opera and international intrigue that personalizes the historical events, but basically, requires a working knowledge of the history of the period or one might get a bit lost. The show is beautifully filmed, with gorgeous sets, clothes, cars, period details, etc. And the lead actress, Adriana Ugarte, is up the the job of carrying the series.

Has anyone else seen this? So far, Netflix only has one year's episodes - did they make any more?

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
MeTV aired a short tribute to Mary Tyler Moore yesterday, six episodes of her MTM series. All were well done, not only for their time (peculiar not to see any computers in the WJM newsroom!) but now. James Brooks, Allan Burns, David Lloyd and other writers all knew how to craft a joke, and Mary and her fellow actors knew how to deliver them. The episodes included the pilot; the famous "death of Chuckles the Clown" story; the 1975 script in which Mary has not just a bad day but a bad week; and the last episode, when the new owner of the station (Vincent Gardenia) fires Lou, Murray, and Mary, but keeps dunderhead Ted Baxter as the on-air talent. And Henry Winkler has a small speaking role in one episode as Rhoda's boyfriend-of-the-week.

Lou (stunned): "A freak accident . . . Chuckles was dressed as Peter Peanut, and a rogue elephant tried to shell him."

Murray (later, when an outraged Mary upbraids them all for laughing over Chuckles' death): "It could have been worse. He could have dressed as Billy Banana, and a giant gorilla could have peeled him to death!"

"A little song, a little dance . . . a little seltzer down your pants . . ."
( -- The minister at the funeral, quoting Chuckles's famous mantra)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tales from the Royal Bedchamber. Major spoiler alert!!!!! Please do not read beyond this point unless you want your entire mental fixture on the universe, turned upside down! Alright, I warned you! Turns out, there was never a Royal bum wiper. Sorry! There was however, the Groom of the Stool, named after the peace of furniture needed for such a high level function. It was actually a very sought after post, besides handing linen and other necessities to the King, he was also his confidant. He could procure titles and promotions for friends and relatives, and for himself. One such man, Hugh Denys, left four manors in his will! The post was abandoned in 1558, but temporarily revived after Elizabeth I death, but finally abolished once and for all during Victoria's reign. Poor Albert had to be alone during his daily constitution! The whole Royal thing is very funny! Sometimes, it's hard to remember, that some of these Kings were real tyrants.

Episode three of Taboo.
Halfway through, I realized that I could fast forward through the commercials.
Fun show.
Very nice visuals.

Watched episode 3 as well yesterday - even zipping through he commercials was annoying as, in the second half, they ran one about every 7 minutes (if you couldn't fast forward, the show would be unwatchable).

While still a very good episode, some of the energy of the first two episodes felt drained by this one; perhaps, it was just a different director.

And we might have to reassign the meaning of the phrase "the love that dare not speak its name" away from its original meaning of the now (thankfully) generally accepted homosexuality and reassign it to whatever sexual craziness went on between Hardy's character and his sister. It's giving me the willies every time they bring it up.

These are two very attractive people; each one could easily find someone (anyone) other than their own sibling to canoodle with for God's sakes.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Episode three of Taboo.
Halfway through, I realized that I could fast forward through the commercials.
Fun show.
Very nice visuals.

I have it down now so I can press fast forward three times, to make it go that much faster, and gauge when to press play again without missing more than two seconds of the show!

Also loving the show. Wondering how they'd react if I went back in time to tell them that in 2017, Nootka Sound is famous for celebrity anti-logging protests, and not being the "gateway" to Canton!

basbol13

A-List Customer
Highway Patrol........DAH DAH DAH DAHHHHHHHHH

highway3002107-m.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner