Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
We are alternating between episodes of Victoria on the PBS app and Foyle's War on Acorn TV.
We caught up on a Blue Bloods, dvr'd last week, along with Bull.

I have it down now so I can press fast forward three times, to make it go that much faster, and gauge when to press play again without missing more than two seconds of the show!

Also loving the show. Wondering how they'd react if I went back in time to tell them that in 2017, Nootka Sound is famous for celebrity anti-logging protests, and not being the "gateway" to Canton!
They would probably kill the messenger just because.
:D

Watched episode 3 as well yesterday - even zipping through he commercials was annoying as, in the second half, they ran one about every 7 minutes (if you couldn't fast forward, the show would be unwatchable).

While still a very good episode, some of the energy of the first two episodes felt drained by this one; perhaps, it was just a different director.

And we might have to reassign the meaning of the phrase "the love that dare not speak its name" away from its original meaning of the now (thankfully) generally accepted homosexuality and reassign it to whatever sexual craziness went on between Hardy's character and his sister. It's giving me the willies every time they bring it up.

These are two very attractive people; each one could easily find someone (anyone) other than their own sibling to canoodle with for God's sakes.
Any disruption is annoying no matter how long it is. We are spoiled by commercial-free programming. We are trying to learn to accept it as we once did, but it is difficult. Better to have been spoiled than not at all.
:D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
American Pickers. And here I thought crime was bad in the big city, but it has nothing on small towns in Iowa. Not only were the contents stolen from this guy, but the criminals also took the entire barn! You read that right, every last board, and it was not a small barn!

Episode 3 "Victoria"
  • Still good, just not great
  • Rufus Sewell continues to be the best part
  • Glad Victoria booted Sir John - I had had enough of him, she had to have been beside herself (I'd have sent Mommy Dearest packing as well, but that's just me)
Another episode of "Breathless," via Amazon Video. Granting that it is a British version of "Mad Men," just about doctors with messed up lives not advertising executives (with messed up lives) - it is doing an admirable job as a copy cat show.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Rufus Sewell continues to be the best part

This is a guy who should be seriously well known. I am glad to see him doing well in various series (Man in the High Castle, etc.).

It is a shame that his big "Hollywood" moments are in things like A Knight's Tale, Zorro 2 and of course one of my favourites, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer...

Check out Cold Comfort Farm, 1996, with a young Kate Beckinsale along with Rufus.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
After karate class and still being a report card widower, I saw an episode of Wallander, a crime drama set in Sweden starring Kenneth Branagh, and then started the first episode of another British crime drama, Marcella, starring Anna Friel, one of my favourite actors.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The Curse Of Oak Island. I feel a little better watching this stupid show! Seems far greater men than I have been captivated by the tale. One man even invested $30,000 in the early part of the last century, on the theory that Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette's crown jewels were buried their. That man was non other then, Franklin Delano Roosevelt!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
An absolutely sumptuous production, but I found most of the characters so damn repressed - especially Cumberbatch's control-freak protagonist - that it just exhausted me. Two observations:

Rebecca Hall as Cumberbatch's wife is too beautiful to live!

I would kill for that custom-tailored army greatcoat Cumberbatch has!

An absolutely sumptuous production, but I found most of the characters so damn repressed - especially Cumberbatch's control-freak protagonist - that it just exhausted me. Two observations:

Rebecca Hall as Cumberbatch's wife is too beautiful to live!

I would kill for that custom-tailored army greatcoat Cumberbatch has!

Let's see, I agree with all of this ⇧. Cumberbatch did an outstanding job of playing a wound-way-too-tight character and I loved his coat and thought Hall was prepossessing.

Hall also stared in an outstanding ghost movie, "The Awakening," in which, here too, she stops time (in my head), but after that (and despite still seeming to be busy acting according to IMDB), I haven't seen her in anything.

"Parade's End" was a very well-done production that seemed to go by almost unnoticed. Hope you enjoyed it Babydoll.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Taboo. It's really starting to roll now, and it is happily taking me along with it. Story and characters developing nicely. Good adjunct characters that might even be a little A Clockwork Orangy. Smart use of violence and gore that would have been piled on our laps if it had been on a premium movie channel. I can't imagine what Starz would have done to this script.

Six Wives. I can't stay awake for this thing anymore. Did it really need to be a handful of episodes?

Victoria. I find the way they're telling it to be weird. It's OK.

Becoming Warren Buffet. He points out his good fortune in a few different ways. I appreciate people who recognize their basic good luck. I learned a couple of key things about him. First, he is clearly somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, and it is a real blessing that his savant gift is something this world rewards, because it is more likely that it could have been fuel for cruelty. Second, behind every great man is often an even greater woman, and there she is. Lots of little nuggets of wisdom tucked in this doc. I didn't know anything about him, so you couldn't have labeled me a fan. I can't necessarily call myself one now. A nice, good fella. The money notwithstanding, the world doesn't have enough of those. Didn't need to be 90 minutes.

I've just completed binge-watching "Bomb Girls." Sometimes the dialogue is, seemingly, anachronistic but still a good piece.

We enjoyed it as a less-heart-pumping show than high-octane ones like "Boardwalk Empire" or "Deadwood." It wasn't great, but it was good and had some nice time-travel sets, clothes, etc.

This week's Taboo.

People whose lives I could not survive living for one day (not one single day):
  • Al Swearengen "Deadwood"
  • Nucky Thompson "Boardwalk Empire"
  • Don Draper "Mad Men" (While the first two are obvious, in Don Draper's life, all the lying, cheating, affairs, office confrontation, business failure, client pressure, along with angry employees, bosses, wives, children all coming at you full force all the time, plus having to live with a completely fabricated past with, a, possible, war crime hidden away in it would be too much - I couldn't survive a day, my head would explode
  • Pretty much anyone in "Vikings"
  • Elizabeth "Blacklist" (In addition to everything else, she knows Reddington is out there watching her and he's simply better at the game than she is, she never has one moment of peace in her life, not one single moment)
  • Bohannon "Hell on Wheels" (he's got the crazy "Swede" always lurking out there, somewhere - plus every single other God darn thing)

But now I have a new category:

People whose lives I could not survive living for one hour (not one single hour):
  • Delaney "Taboo" He's got the entire force of the British Empire, the entire wealth and power of the East India Company and the entire might of the United States all focused on taking his one key piece of property and no one is playing by any rule other than the rule of "I want to win." Additionally, some crazy voodoo happened to him in Africa that seems to be driving him half mad. Plus, whatever untowardness is going on with his half-sister would be enough to warp anyone's brain. Oh, and he's got a psychopathic brother-in-law gunning for him. And, lastly, his allies include some scary looking whores, a half-crazed knacker, some random street urchins and a sardonic man-servant - that's not the team I'd choose to assemble to fight The British Empire, The United States of America, The East India Company and a crazy brother-in-law.
Yup, I would not make it through one hour of Delaney's life.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Let's not talk about Vikings. While this was possibly one of the more cohesive general story seasons (because they didn't insist on taking on too many larger arcs), they continue to not earn their character development.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass