Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I hadn't seen you post anything about MITHC lately, so I was wondering if I'd missed a post where you'd finished watching it!

Good catch, we decided to "save" a few so that we knew we'd have them to enjoy. Glad we did, but stretching them out does break the continuity in your head a bit. We'll watch this season's last two in the next week or two and, then, wait impatiently for the next season.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
"Do a little dance . . . make a little love . . . pretty much get down tonight."
( -- Chandler, when asked how he's spending Saturday night)

Monica (as The Friends kid her about a video with her formerly-fat self): "Shut up! The camera adds ten pounds!"
Chandler: "How many cameras are actually on you?"

"When you use a Q-Tip? You're supposed to stop when you meet resistance!"
(-- Chandler to Joey, as the latter displays his usual charming version of brain damage)

(Yes, I'm a fan of Chandler. So sue me. Personally I just want to meet his mother.)

Chandler has the BEST lines on that show. I think my favorite one is when he says, "What happened? Did the fifth dentist cave and now they all recommend Trident?" (or something similar to that!).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Good catch, we decided to "save" a few so that we knew we'd have them to enjoy. Glad we did, but stretching them out does break the continuity in your head a bit. We'll watch this season's last two in the next week or two and, then, wait impatiently for the next season.

I think I might watch the whole second season again.

A ton of Friends episodes. I was in bed with a fever and had no desire to do much of anything yesterday.
My wife and I were probably watching the same marathon. We couldn't care less about organized sports, so if anyone ever catches us watching the Super Bowl it's only because we have money in a pool, or we're watching it for the new commercials.

...(Yes, I'm a fan of Chandler. So sue me. Personally I just want to meet his mother.)
Which one? :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Aurora-Fire In The sky. Both ancient religious and scientific explanations for the phenomena. I always forget about the Aurora Australis, or southern lights.

"Victoria" the episode where she gets engaged to Albert.

This show is good, but a notch below the really good shows like "Downton Abbey" or "Man in the High Castle" as, in "Victoria," they don't always do the work in character and story building to make the climactic moment as meaningful as it should be.

The romance between the Queen and Albert - unless in real life it happened in about 3 days - should have been built up over several episodes and should have shown a growing affection, but instead, it seemed to happen in a long weekend and went from disgust to deep love in seconds. Lust can happen that way, love general takes a little more time and effort.

Rufus Sewell as Lord Melbourne is the best thing in the show.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Rufus Sewell is often the best thing in whatever he appears in! He's been high on the actors-I-will-always-watch list since Cold Comfort Farm, The Illusionist, Dark City, etc.

How does the show compare to the Emily Blunt film The Young Victoria? I thought it was quite good for just a two-hour treatment of the early part of her reign, and I seem to recall that it didn't rush her romance with Albert.

Rufus Sewell is often the best thing in whatever he appears in! He's been high on the actors-I-will-always-watch list since Cold Comfort Farm, The Illusionist, Dark City, etc.

How does the show compare to the Emily Blunt film The Young Victoria? I thought it was quite good for just a two-hour treatment of the early part of her reign, and I seem to recall that it didn't rush her romance with Albert.

I think I saw it when it came out, but maybe not as I have no real memory of "The Young Victoria," so unfortunately, can't compare for you.

And a hearty amen and hallelujah to your Rufus Sewell comment.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
"Victoria" the episode where she gets engaged to Albert.

This show is good, but a notch below the really good shows like "Downton Abbey" or "Man in the High Castle" as, in "Victoria," they don't always do the work in character and story building to make the climactic moment as meaningful as it should be.

The romance between the Queen and Albert - unless in real life it happened in about 3 days - should have been built up over several episodes and should have shown a growing affection, but instead, it seemed to happen in a long weekend and went from disgust to deep love in seconds. Lust can happen that way, love general takes a little more time and effort.

Rufus Sewell as Lord Melbourne is the best thing in the show.
In fairness, they are cramming almost six and a half decades into a mini series. Downton Abby is only a decade and a half!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
In fairness, they are cramming almost six and a half decades into a mini series. Downton Abby is only a decade and a half!
I know I have to remind myself of this, but I also can't be responsible for giving them slack when they're concentrating on what should be character development and then not actually doing it. Picking a situation and then slopping through it. So far, this series has been all about the interpersonal and not about history and markers. It's about nuance, but they haven't been particularly detailed. I'm enjoying the series, but it won't be remembered as a great. The writing isn't good enough for that.

I work for myself from home - all sorts of plusses and minuses to it, but one plus, it's slow today - so I just watched the last two Patriot drives, as when it was on, it was late, I was exhausted and emotion was carrying me along more than focus. And, just for context, I'm not a Pats fan or hater.

Tom Brady plays better when the pressure is amped up beyond anything normal human beings usually face. His passes were crisper in those last two drives - tighter spirals, placing the ball exactly where the receiver needed it to be on almost every pass - than they were earlier in the game. Yes, the receivers (and linemen, who gave him time to throw) deserve tremendous credit as well, but, IMHO, Brady inspires them to elevate their game and gives them confidence that they can do the impossible. He is the pivot on which it all works. And there's an eerie calm to how he does it - it doesn't feel rushed, it doesn't feel hyper, it doesn't feel "two-minute drill" like, it feels like he's just confidently and intensely focused, but not crazy keyed up or pumped full of adrenaline.

And either of those drives alone would have been amazing - the two, back to back, are insane. I've watched football for over forty years and have seen films of older games and read the books - for my money, Brady is the greatest ever not because of raw skill or statistics or even the number of Super Bowl rings, he's the greatest because he is the first choice I'd want of any quarterback ever and the super-first choice if the game is on the line. Arrogance, confidence, skill, leadership, inspiration, focus, drive, determination, will - it's some combination of all of that, that makes Brady, and the teams he quarterbacks, win.

Edward

Bartender
Back in Time for Dinner, a BBC show in which a modern family live in a house decorated to a specific period, the focus being on the food - buying, preparation, consumption - habits of a middle class family in 1890-1940, one one-hour episode per decade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112