Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

A couple of episodes of Medici: Masters of Florence on Netflix. It’s okay. I don’t know that we will stick with it. I am surprised at how bad Dustin Hoffman’s acting is and the lack of an attempt at a common accent for the cast. It is odd to hear the Medici family converse, all with very different accents.
I guess I expected better from Frank Spotnitz.
:D

3fingers

One Too Many
I introduced my wife to Corner Gas last night. I laughed like a hyena, she said she thought it was kind of a weird show, but I caught her snickering several times. I think she will watch with me again.

Edward

Bartender
Discovered theBBC iPLayer has Mayans MC season one, so I've been starting that. Also, Season 3 of Outlander, which is entertaining enough.

"The Lion in Your Living Room" - I don't own a cat, never have but many if not ALL my female friends own one or more so I spend a lot of time around them... usually gasping for breath! I'm allergic to the little beasties... 4 out of 4 on the sensitivity scale and the little basterds seem to KNOW it! They crawl all over me... kneading my lap with their claws which immediately leads to allergic welts the size of grapes. Won't even mention what they do to my asthma which NEVER bothers me till I'm around THEM! I found this documentary on the Flix. It's very informative but very dry. Not much emotion there in any of the narration. It's based on a best seller but needed more love and less erudition. For cat lovers only I suppose.

Worf
Funny story with a happy ending. I phoned my wife from work one day with the question.."want a cat?" She replied yes and that day we were the caretakers of a rescue kitten, snatched from the burlap sack of a farmer. Within a few days we discover my wife's very strong allergic reaction to him. Her doctor advised.."get rid of the cat." My wife refused and started a quest to cure herself of the allergy to our new best friend. After a year, and treatment by a naturopathic doctor working his voodoo she was cured.....that was 30 years ago and her allergies have not returned. It may be anecdotal and purely due to the power of suggestion but our response is..."We don't care the how or the why".... it worked and we got to keep our little cat buddy.

I introduced my wife to Corner Gas last night. I laughed like a hyena, she said she thought it was kind of a weird show, but I caught her snickering several times. I think she will watch with me again.
The characters may be broadly drawn but somehow the show really captures the essence of the Canadian prairies and the folks that live there. Both my wife and I are progeny of prairie parents.

Power watched the Netflix offering..."Black Earth Rising". Overall worth a watch. The acting I think is very good and the story stretches credulity but manages to not tear it....although it comes close. Not sure why the writers feel compelled in a series like this to write incredibly convoluted and complex stories that have events and the people intersecting in the most improbable ways.

We finished all eight episodes of "Russian Doll," which is more modern-day "The Twilight Zone" than anything else - including the modern-day "Twilight Zones" like shows - that we've seen. It feels as if the writers were channeling their inner Serling.

And as with all but the best "The Twilight Zone" episodes, I enjoyed it, but also felt a bit like the story and script could have been tighter. It is best to experience it with no knowledge of the plot, so I'll stop there and say, give it a shot if you like "The Twilight Zone," but don't expect it to be as good as "The Twilight Zone" at its best.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
One of the strengths of Twilight Zone was its 24-minute runtime. It kept things moving, forcing its stories to be concise and to the point. Of course, Netflix works on the completely opposite principle: everything they make is dragged out too long, sometimes MUCH too long.

I'm about lose access to Netflix: it's my son's account and he's moving out. Honestly, now that the Marvel series are basically over, there's nothing on Netflix that calls me enough to get it myself. I have been underwhelmed by nearly every original series and movie of theirs I've watched. And between cable and Amazon Prime, I have more "content" than I can watch already.

I've been watching season 3 of True Detective on HBO. It's well done, but it's only barely holding my interest. It's not a mess like season 2, but it's not a masterpiece like season 1 either.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Counterpart. Starz. Is anyone else watching this great series? I wasn't too keen on the editing last night. I feel like they missed, or jumped, a scene or two, between last episode and this episode. Sure, I can piece it together on my own, but I didn't think it was a smart demand. It's a pet peeve when shows do this. They've got the time. Why not use it? Possibly the weakest episode of the season anyway. It was still very good though.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Love! Mrs. Maisel! Enjoying season two and the expanded roles for the parents. It all just works.
Agree with you on all points. I thoroughly enjoy Mrs. Maisel and how absolutely perfect everything is in that show - the writing, the costumes, the sets, the characters, the performances...I know it's over-blown and plays on far too many stereotypes that are not true, but wow, is it ever FUN.

I gave the first couple episodes DVRed but haven't watched them yet. How do you like the show?
I am enjoying it enough so far, but that is probably partly due to the fact that I really like shows of this nature and I am starved for something really good. The reality is that it is an okay show in quality dealing with a sensationalistic story. The commercial interruptions do not allow any real flow or rhythm to happen and feel as if they occur more often than the show itself.
A lot of yammering and I don’t know if it helps, but I’d say give it a try.
:D

Edward

Bartender
Last night I watched an episode of 'Vic and Bob's Big Night Out', a recent BBC revival of the early-90s Vic Reeves' Big Night Out that ran on UK Channel 4. Childlike, Morcambe and Wise humour mixed with outright Dadaism; it's not to everyone's tastes, but it makes me laugh like a drain.

"Bordertown" ..season 2...a Netflix Finnish TV production. Interesting premise, good characters and well acted. The plots can be a bit convoluted and in spots I have to park my logical mind to get me past the plots leaps but overall a decent offering. The lead character is worth a watch.

An episode of Doc Martin on PBS the other night. It’s more entertaining than a lot of shows out there. :D

If the Hallmark Channel did things better, it would make shows like "Doc Martin." And I mean that as a compliment, as I like DM for a respite the harshness of the world and most TV today, but as opposed to Hallmark, it isn't cloying or overly simplistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112