Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"The Oscars" - I NEVER watch this thing but with no sad arsed comedian wasting the first 10 minutes and many other minutes after the that the program was absolutely amazing! Fast, well paced with a minimum of political posturing save from Director Spike Lee who finally got an Oscar, the program was great. I predict they'll never have another host. They didn't need it. It didn't hurt it helped. Well done!

Worf

Edward

Bartender
I remember trying to watch the Oscars live one night at university. We all got bored within half an hour and put on video instead.... TBH, though, I don't really see the point of it any more. This year I've not seen a single film on the winners' list (no idea about what else was nominated), and there's only about one of them I have any interest in seeing. I just hope this isn't the end of Olivia Coleman's credibility, as US success all too often, sadly, seems to mean the loss of quality i their output. Look at poor Simon Pegg: he once starred in Shaun of the Dead, but then he was reduced to the dire Paul or even worse, and formulaic, Run, Fatboy, Run.

This past week's Gotham. I know several of you have gone off the show, but we will miss it. Seems like yesterday we practically fell over it one night and got hooked.

Lookng forward to this appearing on Netflix. At present, I'm mostly watching Outlander on Prime. Into the fourth series now. For a that can occasionally be quite sexual (Herself refers to it as T*ts and Tartan) and sometimes surprisingly graphic in its violence, it's oddly twee, but still engaging.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
At present, I'm mostly watching Outlander on Prime. Into the fourth series now. For a that can occasionally be quite sexual (Herself refers to it as T*ts and Tartan) and sometimes surprisingly graphic in its violence, it's oddly twee, but still engaging.

Yes, like a Highland Game of Thrones!

My wife and I are on series three right now. I had read the first two books, so the show has not yet caught up to where I know the story goes, but it is getting there quickly. I suspect it'll be advanced beyond my recollection end of this series.

Gotham has been a fun ride. Like any show, it has its ups and downs. If one is able to accept those weaker moments, and not simply give up because it fails to meet one's standards of perfection for an episode, or even an entire uneven season (here's looking at you, Season 8 of Supernatural), it is an enjoyable ride.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, like a Highland Game of Thrones!

Oh, I wouldn't have said it was anything like on that level, but engaging enough.

My wife and I are on series three right now. I had read the first two books, so the show has not yet caught up to where I know the story goes, but it is getting there quickly. I suspect it'll be advanced beyond my recollection end of this series.

I can't compare it to the books, not having read them, but the general storyline on the TV show is pretty good. The costuming is, by and large, accurate, and they have dealt well with the politics of it all. The treatment of Culloden was particularly good, avoiding going down the shortbread-tin misinterpretation of what it was really about. Prince Charlie was pretty well skewed. If the book is as well done in the material that covers the first tow series, it's pretty impressive for somebody who had never been to Scotland at the time. (Much like Bram Stoker had never visited Romania.)

Gotham has been a fun ride. Like any show, it has its ups and downs. If one is able to accept those weaker moments, and not simply give up because it fails to meet one's standards of perfection for an episode, or even an entire uneven season (here's looking at you, Season 8 of Supernatural), it is an enjoyable ride.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the Joker. Given it's now certain it won't be Jerome, I'm not convinced the brother is quite right either, unless his psychosis takes a different turn soon.

I remember trying to watch the Oscars live one night at university. We all got bored within half an hour and put on video instead.... TBH, though, I don't really see the point of it any more. This year I've not seen a single film on the winners' list (no idea about what else was nominated), and there's only about one of them I have any interest in seeing. I just hope this isn't the end of Olivia Coleman's credibility, as US success all too often, sadly, seems to mean the loss of quality i their output. Look at poor Simon Pegg: he once starred in Shaun of the Dead, but then he was reduced to the dire Paul or even worse, and formulaic, Run, Fatboy, Run.

Lookng forward to this appearing on Netflix. At present, I'm mostly watching Outlander on Prime. Into the fourth series now. For a that can occasionally be quite sexual (Herself refers to it as T*ts and Tartan) and sometimes surprisingly graphic in its violence, it's oddly twee, but still engaging.
I echo your sentiments on Olivia Coleman, one of my fave Brit actresses. On March 5th The Favourite is on offer for rental from our cable and will fork over the $7 to view. There were some marvelous movies on offer in 2018 none of them happened to make it to any of the Oscar nomination lists. Perhaps The Favourite will break the string.

...Look at poor Simon Pegg: he once starred in Shaun of the Dead, but then he was reduced to the dire Paul or even worse, and formulaic, Run, Fatboy, Run...
Simon Pegg co-wrote all three movies and must surely have known what he was getting himself into, so if you didn't like the latter two he has to bear some of the blame. I liked Paul myself, but agree with you about Run, Fat Boy, Run.

Edward

Bartender
Simon Pegg co-wrote all three movies and must surely have known what he was getting himself into, so if you didn't like the latter two he has to bear some of the blame. I liked Paul myself, but agree with you about Run, Fat Boy, Run.

I wanted to like Paul, but I just found it lazy. Spaced back when was fairly creative about what it spoofed; in Paul, every parody felt painfully signposted and overly-obvious. But then that's the danger, I suppose, of playing to a mainstream audience as wide as possible rather than the original following. Be a shame to see such a comedic talent lost to the same meat grinder as Robin Williams. Again, that was his own choice, but....

Started watching Season 2 of "Rita" a Danish Netflix offering. It only gets 2 stars on Netflix rating scale but we love the show. It is funny, not in a canned laughter forced way but from the charm and foibles of the characters. The ratings dropped off from 3+ in Season 1 to just the 2 stars now but we think it has improved and there is more nuance to the characters and the situations. There are 4 seasons available. We are taking it one season at a time and if it holds our interest will move on to Season 3. If you don't mind the subtitles I recommend it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the Joker. Given it's now certain it won't be Jerome, I'm not convinced the brother is quite right either, unless his psychosis takes a different turn soon.

Wait and see, we enjoyed the story arc, well, continue to enjoy it!

I liked Paul myself, but agree with you about Run, Fat Boy, Run.

My wife and I LOVE Paul! They deliberately wanted an American "feel", it was quite by purpose not meant to be a Cornetto trilogy film. That is not the reason we like it, just an observation that it was not meant to be "like" Shaun (dumb way of spelling that glorious name) of the Dead or Hot Fuzz.

Oh, I wouldn't have said it was anything like on that level, but engaging enough.

I was not comparing the quality level, just the gore and sex quotients. Both awesome...

Edward

Bartender
Shaun (dumb way of spelling that glorious name)

IT's an Anglicisation that I've only known in real life to be used by an Australian, but I assume the use here was to clarify the joke in the title for all markets (shades of the staged play "The Madness of George III" being retitled "The Madness of King George").

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Better Things season 3 begins tonight. Cannot wait. No Louis CK.

I haven't watched it yet, but I will never stop defending CK, who, let's remember, co-created/co-produced/co-wrote (with solo writing credit on several of last season's best episodes) this extremely sensitive and observant female-positive show. Pamela is obviously tremendously talented, but to expect the show "to be better without the taint of CK" shows a lack of understanding of just how this show became great in the first place.

To be clear: I'm defending CK's skill as a writer and his understanding of the human condition, not his behavior. Mainly, I'm defending the utterly bogus message that somehow he wasn't a primary influence in getting this great series on the air and personally crafting its characters and stories. It may be comforting to people to believe that it was always really Pamela's show, and CK was merely a hands-off executive producer who was holding back her creativity, but it's not true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner