Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
There was nothing like coming home from a late shift of work with a hot-ham-and-cheese sandwich and flopping down in front of back-to-back late-night reruns of "Twilight Zone" and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents." If you like the former, you're sure to like the latter as well!

Rod Serling and Hitchcock combo is hard to beat. And they both made viewers think about what they had seen.
And return for more.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Wife and I had watched the second series of What we do in the Shadows, having missed the first.

As both are now being repeated, we pvr'd all episodes, and are now catching up on the first.

Hot damn, but this is a funny show We have been fans of the film for years. Gotta love vampires.

Lazlo: " He wants us to conquer North America? But that would include Canada. Who the f*ck wants that?"

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The season finale (boy that seemed to go by quickly) of Myans.

This was by far the best season yet in our view. If you are a fan, and have not yet watched, I won't spoil anything.

If you are not a fan, and yes, I know who you are, go watch Girls or whatever else flips your kilt.

The internecine struggles in each of the several families, the MC and the cartels are what drives this for the wife and I. Every TV show is a soap opera at heart, and thus one does it well. Just enough violence to make it real, and I say this as a man with an older brother taken out by his own MC.

Cannot wait for next year, but guess we'll have to!

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
If you are not a fan, and yes, I know who you are, go watch Girls or whatever else flips your kilt.
You aren't a fan of Girls? I thought for sure...ha.

I struggled through the season finale of Myans, and now my watch has ended. I'm turning my back on this one; no further investment from me. Another thing you can look forward to/not look forward to in the series and this thread.

The Secrets She Keeps. AMC. Laura Carmichael from Downton Abbey is the lead. Another disappointment post-Downton. Everything about this series is trite.

American Experience: Watch American Oz. PBS. About L. Frank Baum. This was easier than starting Hemingway. I hope this was popular with PBS watchers. I had no idea how big Baum and Oz was. I thought it was one book, the MGM movie, and The Wiz. I felt woefully ignorant, but was all there for the history lesson. Very interesting, and part of me thought more of this should be common knowledge to Americans. Maybe it is? Maybe earlier generations know a lot of this? Do people born post-1980 even know the movie?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Another episode from season two of Frontier. Not sure how widely available this is, it was Discovery Channel Canada production, available on Netflix in Canada. Check it out if it is available near you...

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Gangs of London. AMC. After a fun and worthwhile episode last week, they followed up with a mostly disappointing one this week. I will say that they maybe could have done an entire series on the Danish special forces unit alone.

Edward

Bartender
Dabbled with several things this week. Watched the last episode of Ratched. It's had its detractors for sure and I'm always in two minds with the "glorified fanfic" thing. That said, it was entertaining enough, just on the right level of campy, and it looked beautiful. I want all the clothes.

Invincible on Netflix continues to intrigue. It seems to hit a nice spot somewhere between the cynical, adult world of Watchmen and the cosier world of conventional superheroes. It has certainly prompted me to check out the Kirkland source material (already a fan of TWD on the page long before it became a TV show).

Blood and Bone is quite fun, an intriguing world.

The big chance-discovery of the week has been Vampires on Netflix. A French show from 2020, it follows a female vampire who has spent a long time keeping her family (two older vampire children, plus two children she bore to a mortal man, now presumed deceased) away from vampire society. The young daughter, Doina, has kept her vampire tendencies at bay all her life by taking pills her father is said to have created. She lives like any other child her age, until symptoms start to appear, and the family are drawn back into the vampire world. Set in modern day Paris, beautifully shot. The version on Netflix UK has been dubbed into English so well that it took me a few episodes to realise it was dubbed.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
What We Do in the Shadows, series one episode 4 out of order. We set the PVR to record all episodes, and we had watched 1 thru 6 but 4, as it had not recorded yet.

Great to see Flight of the Conchords alum Arj Barker in a supporting role.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Will check to see if Vampires is on Netflix Canada. We loves us a good vamp series, as one can guess...

Dabbled with several things this week. Watched the last episode of Ratched. It's had its detractors for sure and I'm always in two minds with the "glorified fanfic" thing. That said, it was entertaining enough, just on the right level of campy, and it looked beautiful. I want all the clothes.

Invincible on Netflix continues to intrigue. It seems to hit a nice spot somewhere between the cynical, adult world of Watchmen and the cosier world of conventional superheroes. It has certainly prompted me to check out the Kirkland source material (already a fan of TWD on the page long before it became a TV show).

Blood and Bone is quite fun, an intriguing world.

The big chance-discovery of the week has been Vampires on Netflix. A French show from 2020, it follows a female vampire who has spent a long time keeping her family (two older vampire children, plus two children she bore to a mortal man, now presumed deceased) away from vampire society. The young daughter, Doina, has kept her vampire tendencies at bay all her life by taking pills her father is said to have created. She lives like any other child her age, until symptoms start to appear, and the family are drawn back into the vampire world. Set in modern day Paris, beautifully shot. The version on Netflix UK has been dubbed into English so well that it took me a few episodes to realise it was dubbed.

Edward

Bartender
What We Do in the Shadows, series one episode 4 out of order. We set the PVR to record all episodes, and we had watched 1 thru 6 but 4, as it had not recorded yet.

Great to see Flight of the Conchords alum Arj Barker in a supporting role.

The original film was great, but there's just something about the tv show that takes it to another level. Partly I love the performers in it, but I also think the thirty-minute episode format really enhances to reality-tv spoof element. It cracks me up every time, but I especially lost it at the episode where the vampires ridicule the idea of ghosts...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Wife and I caught up with Gangs of London last night. It was a late broadcast on Sunday owing to Talking Dead, so we had recorded it for later viewing. Loving this so far, looking forward to more!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Catching up the girls, two episodes of Supernatural, season finale of season 12 ("Carry on my wayward sons...") and first of 13.

Jack, my name is Sam.

Are you my father?

Um, no...

Edward

Bartender
Last night I chanced across Them on Prime. Oh, my. This is the first series in what is intended to be an anthology show, one unique story with different characters for each series. This first series is set in 1953, and follows a black family moving from South Carolina to Compton, California. Leaving behind the open racism of Jim Crow laws, they arrive as the first family of colour to move into a white suburban neighbourhood where formerly binding clauses in the property deeds that no-one "of negro blood" have been made unlawful and therefore non-applicable, but the existing residents are less progressive. The series is set across the first ten days of the family living there.

The sense of period is beautifully rendered, nothing looks out of place to my eye at least. Storybook Americana, the sort of neighbourhood - at least on the surface - one could easily idealise. Then there's the dark side... The supernatural elements are clearly - as in all the best genre material - reflective of the unpleasant elements of real racism the family face. The latter is not based on any one real family, but does reflect what many faced in those days. It's a beautifully constructed show, albeit not one that makes for easy watching at all times. It's interesting when you catch yourself thinking that the supernatural stuff is easier to see as it's easier to dismiss in "real life". From that perspective, it's one of a number of shows I might consider worth watching for those who often vocalise a sense of wonder as to "why is vintage such a white dominated interest?".

A tough watch in places, but it has caught my interest such that I'll be bingeing it to the end.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Mr Inbetween. FX. One of my favorite shows on TV returns. I wouldn't argue it having any great merits, only that I enjoy it. I generally like the characters, even if we only see them once for a moment or two. Scott Ryan is a notable writer like that. I wish each episode was longer, but then again, he's good at not wasting time. It doesn't feel like there is any filler.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana