Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Slowly walking Puddin' though "Batman the Animated Series" and associated Batman animated movies. We've watched "Year One", "The Dark Knight Returns (Parts 1 and 2), "Bad Blood", "Son of Batman" and "Batman vs. Robin". She's enjoying it, particularly those films when she thinks ole Bat's is gonna bite the big one. When things get dire she'll shout "Oh no!" I keep having to remind her that Comic Book heroes NEVER die they just retcon away....

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I am jealous! I've been trying to convince my sister and daughter that we should (re)watch some classic B:TAS episodes, but alas, they never want to.

cape_theories.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Now that was the Batman for me. A friend's older sister has a few collectibles from it - including the animation cell of the lightning flash from the title sequence, as memory serves. The only screen incarnation of the Batman world that has introduced a new character who has then been worked back into the printed source material (Harley Quinn).

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Last night we watched the three episode run of "World's Finest". The first time in the BTAS & Superman shows when the two meet. Puddin' screaming "that's not fair, Superman cheated using X-ray vision to get Batman's secret identity". A minute later she was laughing when Bruce returned the favor. She's also constantly commenting on how many people the Joker outright kills. "How many people would Batman have saved if he just killed that ba***rd".... I informed her gently as I could that in one comic book run Superman solves that problem once and for all. She also stated that "man, those two really don't like each other do they?" To which (remember this is all new to her) I told her that to Bruce, Clark is a stupid schoolboy who truly doesn't understand the dark nature of man. A tool of the Govt. a big blue Boy Scout. On the other hand Clark see's Bruce as a damaged psychopath who'll maim you into a wheel chair (but NOT kill you) at the drop of a hat all OUTSIDE the law.

She's learnin'.

Worf

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
A Discovery of Witches. AMC. I'm watching season 2 a second time, as it airs out in the open. I binged it when AMC+ was free for a week. Enjoying it again, but with like other not top tier shows, the flaws come out in repeated viewings. With this one, it's more that I'm less interested in some relationships and feel like they're filler. I would guess the book people wouldn't agree.

Kevin can F**K Himself. AMC. This really is an odd show, and I have to admit that is the only reason I'm not completely out the door. None of the characters are interesting, but I think that's the intention, weird as that sounds. Kind of thinking that is how Millennials prefer their content.

Edward

Bartender
Last night we watched the three episode run of "World's Finest". The first time in the BTAS & Superman shows when the two meet. Puddin' screaming "that's not fair, Superman cheated using X-ray vision to get Batman's secret identity". A minute later she was laughing when Bruce returned the favor. She's also constantly commenting on how many people the Joker outright kills. "How many people would Batman have saved if he just killed that ba***rd".... I informed her gently as I could that in one comic book run Superman solves that problem once and for all. She also stated that "man, those two really don't like each other do they?" To which (remember this is all new to her) I told her that to Bruce, Clark is a stupid schoolboy who truly doesn't understand the dark nature of man. A tool of the Govt. a big blue Boy Scout. On the other hand Clark see's Bruce as a damaged psychopath who'll maim you into a wheel chair (but NOT kill you) at the drop of a hat all OUTSIDE the law.

She's learnin'.

Worf

Always thought it would be interesting to see Kal-El take a turn under the Cap'n America hood. Mind you, I hold to the view that the sharpest dissection of the real nature of Superman was that Tarrantino gave in Kill Bill. Clark Kent is the disguise, Superman is who he really is. Clark Kent is his judgement on humanity.

Over the weekend I stumbled across The Watch on BBC iPlayer. I'd heard they were making this but forgotten about it, so it was a nice surprise. It's the story of Captain Sam Vines, Corporal Carrot and the rest of the Ankh Morpork City Watch, based on the Discworld novels by the late Terry Pratchett. I've never quite been fully on board with filmed adaptations in the past as the joy of Pratchett's work for me was always in the way he wrote, his use of language, footnotes, and the rest. This, however, really works. Lovely characterisation. An interesting re-envisioning of the city too: whereas most adaptations have stuck very firmly to the fantasy-mediaeval look, this gives the city itself a bit of a Blade Runner or Mega City One look, albeit otherwise with all the Dungeons and Dragons type bits you'd expect - and no gunpowder stuff. The gonne of some of the later novels has not yet appeared in this version.

Tonight, I've also discovered Mayans MC has two seasons I've not yet seen on iPlayer, so that's the rest of this week's TV taken up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21