Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Oh, well you're just wrong. ;) Or maybe not. But I've tried to watch Young Sheldon with an open mind and so far I just don't see the appeal. The jokes are predictable, and although most of the cast is quite good none of them compare to little Raegan Revord whose standout performances as sister Missy Cooper is the only real reason to watch. *shrug* No "bazinga" here, I honestly don't know why the show is so popular.
I have never liked it, though mybdaughters do.

Is it ironic that the thing I dislike most about Young Sheldon is Young Sheldon?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Caught The Queen's Gambit episode #7-8 last week. Finally, and this tail-end hit the spot.
If you can read the book first, though its not remarkable, a sense of scene and setting lays storyline
superbly against a fast paced chess prodigy to world championship odyssey.

UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Daukaus, Shakespeare and Hathaway, Death in Paradise, and most of Vera before turning in. Caught the flu last weekend and have been pretty much a vegetable since then. Called in sick for the first time in years. Finally starting to feel better.
:D

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
For the first time ever, the Oscars, beginning to end with the wife and daughter 1.

WTF was that?

And when I typed Oscars, up top and just now, it autocorrected (should I say, auto- wronged) to Oscar's.

NOTHING IN ENGLISH IS MADE PLURAL BY APOSTROPHE S!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I stopped watching the Oscars after Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love.

Now Ryan is replete with erroneous tactical details; losing focus on a needle buried in a haystack
primary objective behind enemy lines is simply unforgivable. Howeverso, Romeo&Juliet according
to my English master, Brother Sloan, Christian Brothers of Ireland and a ba***rd's ba***rd writ large,
correctly adduced lover boy Romeo to be in love with love, not Miss Capulet. That sonuvabitch Sloan
nailed it exactamundo. A cut to the quick get to the chaste and chastise fools who fall betwixt lines.
Sos, Shakespeare in Love got it all wrongo. Yet, woke struck. And Willie boy won the golden dildo.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Still working our way through The Bob Newhart Show starring Bob Newhart as Bob Hartley. Also bought this season of When Calls the Heart. On Britbox, it's The House of Eliott, and one episode of The Royal. Occasionally, a Miss Marple

Edward

Bartender
Since getting the smart-capability in our television, I now rarely watch anything on traditional broadcast (or if I do, it's the 'as-live' online stream, often a few minutes later than the traditional cast as I can start when it suits me). The end result is I'm often completely out of touch with what is on the box. So it was by chance that I was reminded of the ITV "remake" (not really a remake of the Michael Caine picture, rather a six-episode series based directly on the original novel, including staying truer to the plot thereof, I believe) of The Ipcress File. Inevitably, given the original film's iconic status as a touchstone of the tediously over-fetishised 1960s, it has had its critics, but I enjoyed it immensely. Joe Cole (ex of Peaky Blinders; he played the brother gunned down on Christmas Day a few series ago) takes on the Harry Palmer role with aplomb. A very deft performance, with all the bite of Deighton's original novel's class-commentary played subtly and effectively. It's all tremendously done, with a real sense of period to it (the events of this particular story are set in 1963). The 'look and feel' is superb. The wardrobe is to die for. I'm not a fan of the Sixties as a rule, but this has that great vibe in the menswear of older men still dressing the Fifties, and young men's fashionable menswear still yet to nosedive into too skinny everything, still having that 'hangover from 1959' effect. Think a British take on the look of early Mad Men rather than stereotypical 'mods'.

ITV here in the UK is not generally to my tastes. It's mainstream, populist, a lot of soaps, reality shows, and such. When they do a big-budget Drama Adaptation, however, they do really do them well. Think, for example, the long-running Agatha Christie's Poirot. The Ipcress File is definitely one of their stronger outings. As a period piece, it is very nice, avoiding falling into the twin traps of lazy nostalgia and hitting the viewer over the head with Themes! Relevant! To! Today! stuff. While reviews have been mixed (certainly many couldn't see past Michael Caine to see the qualities of this version of the story), I hold out hope that it has been successful enough to warrant further series. There are six more Harry Palmer novels that Len Deighton wrote, not all of which formed the basis of any of the four Michael Caine vehicles (two of which were made in the 90s, with a much older Caine as Palmer). The second novel was never turned into a film, so would be a chance for something completely new in terms of screen-Palmer. I hope they get the chance.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Caine sliiped on Palmer's kid drum tight right, but longer tooth portrayal nix since Deighton's
protagonist past thirty-five begins discernible dragging the East End barrow a bit much.
Plebe or patrician, Harry or James, time's distance ran is run.

Meant to stock some Deighton this past winter. I believe my favorite bookshop has permanently
folded because of the VID, hopefully I'll be proved wrong. :eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Murphy's Law, BBC fare, bit dated 2001 or so, but none the worse for wear.

Irish cop in London, troubles back Northern Ireland; wife left him after their
daughter murdered. Blames himself, cannot let go. Acceptable undercover
dual-life cop drama, cogent tight plot. Solid English thespian strut across stage.
Protagonist Mick consumed guilt, flunks police departmental psychiatrist eval,
takes hazardous assignment to cut himself some unofficial slack. Okey-doke.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Murphy's Law, BBC fare, bit dated 2001 or so, but none the worse for wear.

Irish cop in London, troubles back Northern Ireland; wife left him after their
daughter murdered. Blames himself, cannot let go. Acceptable undercover
dual-life cop drama, cogent tight plot. Solid English thespian strut across stage.
Protagonist Mick consumed guilt, flunks police departmental psychiatrist eval,
takes hazardous assignment to cut himself some unofficial slack. Okey-doke.

If you liked the show, it's worth checking out Colin Bateman's original books on which the show was based (initially; the plot of the pilot is basically the first Murphy novel, though the show took on original stories thereafter). Probably his best series, next to the Dan Starkey books.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
If you liked the show, it's worth checking out Colin Bateman's original books on which the show was based (initially; the plot of the pilot is basically the first Murphy novel, though the show took on original stories thereafter). Probably his best series, next to the Dan Starkey books.

Truth told, time away from tube and a bit rusty with remote just danced around
floor offerings but tried for Dexter's excellent Morse, or successor Lewis. None the
luck there but persistence paid and I latched onto Murphy which dimly recalled
from PBS WTTW Chicago flyer eons ago. I hold solid book done right large screen
or small serves purpose and the quest akin to finding a needle inside haystack,
spent the clock out separating wheat from all the chaff offal....

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Inspector Morse, Who else but the British can put on a detective show to rival anything the us can come up with

Easily hands down British fare; rightly done with much avail quality literature
for camera focus, so a picture says a thousand words-mostly but not always...

Trapsing American offers slim-to-none, sad to say I care not to spend timely
currency on cheapskate moronic reflections of the larger California culture
and Gotham narrow mindedness.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Watched agai, Dracula (2020) on Netflix . It was entertaining the first time around and this time. Smartly done, humorous, and terrifying enough. :D

I had mixed feeling about that one. I enjoyed the departure from the original text - with a story told and retold this often, it's nice to see something different. The time-shift gimmick was a nice touch, though for me the final episode was rather a let-down in terms of the narrative, story meandered and lot and it felt that the ending was a bit rushed. THat said, I did quite enjoy the spin on the end. I can't help feeling the whole thing would have been vastly better had Gatiss written it solo rather than Moffat being involved.

The finale of Peaky Blinders was superb; I look forward to the film to follow. Lots of room for the story to continue.

Derry Girls , a Northern Ireland, 1990s-set sitcom, has returned for its third and final season. The first episode was as wodnerful as ever.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Derry Girls , a Northern Ireland, 1990s-set sitcom, has returned for its third and final season. The first episode was as wodnerful as ever.

I've been looking for Derry Girls... The Quest continues.

Murphy's Law is okey-doke. However, playing both sides of the coin for episodic crime show
cuts the drink a wee bit thin. Pour a full glass of Guinness, intro the character warts and all
like Celine, let the chips fall wherever. Rushing things loses all flavor, just lets the beer go flat.

I had mixed feeling about that one. I enjoyed the departure from the original text - with a story told and retold this often, it's nice to see something different. The time-shift gimmick was a nice touch, though for me the final episode was rather a let-down in terms of the narrative, story meandered and lot and it felt that the ending was a bit rushed. THat said, I did quite enjoy the spin on the end. I can't help feeling the whole thing would have been vastly better had Gatiss written it solo rather than Moffat being involved.

The finale of Peaky Blinders was superb; I look forward to the film to follow. Lots of room for the story to continue.

Really looking forward to Peaky Blinders finally opening here. Thought it would in late February or early March, but it was not to be.

We've been watching the new version of the Wonder Years, which is sort of the same premise as the original but relocated to Alabama and following a young African American and his family growing up in the 60s. While it hasn't struck the same chord with me as the Kevin Arnold version (for obvious reasons), it has its moments.

Last night's episode threw us a curve, however, and provided a connection between the shows and their protagonists, Dean and Kevin.

Really didn't see it coming, but it had an O. Henry feel to it.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to Peaky Blinders finally opening here. Thought it would in late February or early March, but it was not to be.
I really want to like Peaky Blinders, but I've re-started watching the series a number of times and I can't even get through the first season because it's one of the most boring shows I've ever seen. I'm sure I'll try again one of these days, but... :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch