Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Being a huge fan of Katie Sackoff, and a sci-fi fan generally, I was pumped to try out Another Life on Netflix.

Got most of the way through season one of two (it was in fact cancelled on 21 Feb 22).

I know why it was cancelled.

Katie was the best thing about it, sorry to see another Canadian-filmed production close, but ugh...

Plot lines stealing from First Contact, 2001 ASO, Alien, etc., etc., and while I flatter myself I'm fairly open minded, I find that I do in fact have a tolerance level for bi-sexual threesomes.

Don't judge me. Or go ahead, I could not care less!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
"Peacemaker" - If you like "The Boy's" you might like this. I suggest you see the 2021 version of "Suicide Squad" to set up the character's state of mind before the series starts. Lots of inside DC jokes and more F-bombs than a Dolomite movie. Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe this series but along the way you begin to feel for the idiotic, foul mouthed hero and his woefully sad crew of muck-ups. The series has already been greenlit for season 2. While I liked it, I prefer "The Boy's" as it takes place in a world closer to ours. Peacemaker is firmly set in the DCEU and has quite a few cameos. Not hi art but funny if you put your mind in a glass jar by the door.

Worf

Pure chance we saw the Suicide Squad film and then stumbled upon Peacemaker. We loved both.

Wife and I love The Boys (no apostrophe required!) as well, and looking forward to season 3, particularly being fans (wife especially...) of Jensen Ackles who is joining as Soldier Boy.

If I had to choose, I'd pick Peacemaker, mainly for the comedic value and characters. The Boys has just enough darkness to it to tip that balance...

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Blinkin "Grammar Police"!!!!!

Worf

I have been Captain Grammar, Captain Pedantic and GrammarMan on several other sites!

The apostrophe plural, however, is my biggest pet peeve! It was my signature here in fact for a while "there is no word in the English language made plural by apostrophe s".

I blame, seriously, those people who make those signs folks seem to need on their front lawns - The Smith's, the Robertson's, the Jones's, etc. FFS! Smiths, Robertsons, Joneses, etc.

Ugh!!!

Edward

Bartender
Over the weekend, watched the latest episodes of the fourth season of Mrs Maisel. I continue to enjoy this show; John Waters making a cameo appearance was a lovely touch. I expect he's a fan. Looking well for his age, too.

Next up were the last few episodes of the second season of Manhattan. I knew already that the planned third season had been cancelled. That said, knowing already what comes next after that first, big test of the atomic bomb, there's a real poignancy to the final scene of the show being the look on the scientific team's faces as they witness for the first time the reality of the blast and its power. The human element of this was very nicely conveyed without being over-done.

Finally - and finally after such a long wait - episode one of the final series of Peaky Blinders. Enjoyed this one very much. There's the fallout from the failed assassination of Moseley and the impact on the Peakies themselves, now having clawed back from the double devastations of that and the '29 crash to find their business hit again by the end of prohibition. The tragic real-world loss of Helen McRory who played Matriarch to the Selby clan has been dealt with beautifully and sensitively here. There were three versions of this series written - one with her, then as lockdown delayed shooting and her health began to fail, one with less of her, and now sadly this one with her gone, but far from absent. Her presence looks set to loom large through this series. As it should. It's going to be Interesting to see where this one ends up. It has already been confirmed there will be (at least one) feature film to follow this series, so (unless that's planned as something other than a direct follow-on; it would be interesting indeed to see Tommy and Arthur in the trenches if the casting were right) we may not see a definitive ending to the Selby saga. It's going to be an interesting few weeks. I didn't get the chance to watch the previous series over in preparation for this one, but I think when it's done I might well binge the lot from the start right over again.

Over the weekend, watched the latest episodes of the fourth season of Mrs Maisel. I continue to enjoy this show; John Waters making a cameo appearance was a lovely touch. I expect he's a fan. Looking well for his age, too.

Next up were the last few episodes of the second season of Manhattan. I knew already that the planned third season had been cancelled. That said, knowing already what comes next after that first, big test of the atomic bomb, there's a real poignancy to the final scene of the show being the look on the scientific team's faces as they witness for the first time the reality of the blast and its power. The human element of this was very nicely conveyed without being over-done.

Finally - and finally after such a long wait - episode one of the final series of Peaky Blinders. Enjoyed this one very much. There's the fallout from the failed assassination of Moseley and the impact on the Peakies themselves, now having clawed back from the double devastations of that and the '29 crash to find their business hit again by the end of prohibition. The tragic real-world loss of Helen McRory who played Matriarch to the Selby clan has been dealt with beautifully and sensitively here. There were three versions of this series written - one with her, then as lockdown delayed shooting and her health began to fail, one with less of her, and now sadly this one with her gone, but far from absent. Her presence looks set to loom large through this series. As it should. It's going to be Interesting to see where this one ends up. It has already been confirmed there will be (at least one) feature film to follow this series, so (unless that's planned as something other than a direct follow-on; it would be interesting indeed to see Tommy and Arthur in the trenches if the casting were right) we may not see a definitive ending to the Selby saga. It's going to be an interesting few weeks. I didn't get the chance to watch the previous series over in preparation for this one, but I think when it's done I might well binge the lot from the start right over again.
I will have to go back and watch the last few episodes of the previous season of Peaky ....it has been so long I can't remember where it left off.......again it would appear as though I have lost the plot.

"To the Ends of the Earth" a 2005 BBC production based on the William Golding Trilogy starring a young Ben Cumberbach. A crackin' good yarn and well worth the time. 3 episodes of 90 minutes each.

Being a huge fan of Katie Sackoff, and a sci-fi fan generally, I was pumped to try out Another Life on Netflix.

Got most of the way through season one of two (it was in fact cancelled on 21 Feb 22).

I know why it was cancelled.

Katie was the best thing about it, sorry to see another Canadian-filmed production close, but ugh...
I can't say I'm a huge Katee Sackhoff fan since I've only seen her in Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009) and Longmire (2012-2017), but I thought she was very good in both shows. If Another Life is on American Netflix I'll give it a try when my schedule clears up.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I can't say I'm a huge Katee Sackhoff fan since I've only seen her in Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009) and Longmire (2012-2017)
Precisely why I am a fan...
KS1.jpg

A little (a lot!) late to the dance but finally getting around to watching a young(ish) Helen Mirren in "Prime Suspect".....just into season 2 and other than the bad hair & awful clothing of late 80's, early 90's the show itself is very very good.

Edward

Bartender
Currently just about midway through Vikings: Valhalla. This is a sequel show of sorts to the Vikings show that put a dramatised interpretation on the story of Ragnor Lothbrok. The events of this series are set about a hundred years later, around the point in time leading up towards 1066 and what is now considered the end of the Viking era. It follows the story of Greenlander Leif Erikson. Looks like it's only going to be one series long, but production values are high and I like the writing. It also deals more than the previous series (given the timeline, of course) with the part-Christianisation of the Vikings, which in itself is an interesting aspect of the plot, as is the Viking connection to Normandy, knowing what comes next in history. It will be interesting to see if the next project from the same producers is a Normans, following the Battle and conquest. That I would like to see.

Acchimp

New in Town
More episodes of Community, we are now into season 2. Some really good episodes, the most recent one had the study group organize a Pulp Fiction themed birthday party for Abed, who in turn invites Jeff out for what turns out to be a My Dinner With Andre themed evening. Really funny yet deep in a way.
Watch out for season 4. Dan Harmon leaves the writing staff and the quality drops significantly.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Watch out for season 4. Dan Harmon leaves the writing staff and the quality drops significantly.
We have seen the first two episodes. Some good laughs, but nowhere near the level and consistency seen previously. There is overall a different "feel" to it, and not in a good way. Only 13 episodes, as are 5 and 6, so a glitch we will suffer through!

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
We have started watching The Bob Newhart Show from the beginning, courtesy of Hulu. Sitcoms seem to be our favorites; currently we have watched all of Fraser, Cheers, Mary Tyler Moore, and Monk (okay, not a sitcom). The Missus binged on ER and is currently working her way through The Rookie.
I located some episodes of City of Angels on the tube of you, the show Wayne Rogers went to after MASH. It ran 13 episodes in 1976, the victim of low ratings. Evoking 1930s Los Angeles was not a sizable enough draw for an audience. The picture quality is poor, but it's the only place to watch.

...I located some episodes of City of Angels on the tube of you, the show Wayne Rogers went to after MASH...
My wife and I watch M*A*S*H reruns on MeTV and whichever other channels air them, and even though I've been watching the show since the days when they were still making new episodes I still enjoy it a lot. But as the years have passed I've noticed Wayne Rogers wasn't a particularly good actor. Mind you, I've only ever seen him in M*A*S*H and his "don't blink or you'll miss him" role in the movie Cool Hand Luke (1967), but...well, I much prefer Mike Farrell and his character B.J. Hunnicutt--far more believable as an actor, and much better chemistry between Mr. Farrell and Alan Alda from the moment their characters are on-screen together.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I watch M*A*S*H reruns on MeTV and whichever other channels air them, and even though I've been watching the show since the days when they were still making new episodes I still enjoy it a lot. But as the years have passed I've noticed Wayne Rogers wasn't a particularly good actor. Mind you, I've only ever seen him in M*A*S*H and his "don't blink or you'll miss him" role in the movie Cool Hand Luke (1967), but...well, I much prefer Mike Farrell and his character B.J. Hunnicutt--far more believable as an actor, and much better chemistry between Mr. Farrell and Alan Alda from the moment their characters are on-screen together.

Odd, I am the opposite. I never liked Hunnicutt as a character, too clean cut and goody goody. Acting levels between the two I'd say would be comparable - good enough.

The major character changes in MASH were my jump the shark moments. And I was only a kid at the time...

Fortunately, his money handling skills seem to have been much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points