Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
So, it is over. Times two.

We have now finished Supernatural AND Parks and Recreation.

Sniffle. Sniffle.

My eldest daughter cried for most of SPN, particularly as she too had come across a spoiler and, seeing a moment of foreshadowing, the tears started.

We will miss watching both for the first time, but they will live forever in our hearts.

And in our collection of disks (just got P&R on DVD as a family Christmas gift).

...We will miss watching both for the first time, but they will live forever in our hearts.

And in our collection of disks...
Mark my words--one day, before you know it, those disks will be worthless and not much more than a memory of the way things once were. All of the stupid streaming services are going to take over, the studios will no longer produce any physical home media (i.e. DVDs and Blu-Ray discs) or devices to play them on, and we'll all have to pay far more to watch the entertainment we want because most people have bought the "But streaming is so much better!" lie hook, line, and sinker.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Mark my words--one day, before you know it, those disks will be worthless and not much more than a memory of the way things once were. All of the stupid streaming services are going to take over, the studios will no longer produce any physical home media (i.e. DVDs and Blu-Ray discs) or devices to play them on, and we'll all have to pay far more to watch the entertainment we want because most people have bought the "But streaming is so much better!" lie hook, line, and sinker.

When they stop making disks, I will buy used as long as I can That they still make disks means the market is there.

Netflix Canada just stopped streaming Longmire.

A Netflix original.

I own the disks.

So there, Netflix!

Prime offering..."El Candidato"....CIA versus the Cartels in Mexico. English language with some sub titles for the Spanish. 10 episodes that held our interest from beginning to the end. Spoiler alert....towards the end of episodes 9 & 10 it became obvious it was being set up for a season2. Yep, but it did not detract too much from the ending of Season 1....just a few hanging story lines for Season 2 to wrap up.

When they stop making disks, I will buy used as long as I can That they still make disks means the market is there.

Netflix Canada just stopped streaming Longmire.

A Netflix original.

I own the disks.

So there, Netflix!
We love to vacation in WA state, particularly Anacortes. On weekends (well soje weekends) a guy sets up tables downtown in an empty lot and sells used DVD's, movies and some CD's....$10 or 3 for $25. We would usually stop and pick a few up to watch in our RV on those rainy autumn nights. He would take them back and give us a few bucks shop credit. Cheaper than my late fews used to be in the days of Blockbuster.

Sure...for now. But when streaming takes over and they stop making DVD/Blu-Ray players...remember VCRs and turntables? When was the last time you saw one of either in someone's home? Uh-huh. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...

Sure...for now. But when streaming takes over and they stop making DVD/Blu-Ray players...remember VCRs and turntables? When was the last time you saw one of either in someone's home? Uh-huh. Tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick...
We have two shops in this area specializing in the repair and sale of high end turntables and numerous shops selling used record albums. All are thriving. Apparently fueled by a faux nostalgia of the Millennials who missed it the first go round.

We have two shops in this area specializing in the repair and sale of high end turntables and numerous shops selling used record albums. All are thriving. Apparently fueled by a faux nostalgia of the Millennials who missed it the first go round.
I don't know how well they're doing, but we have a few shops like that around here as well--moreso the "used records" shops. Except for one friend I don't personally know anyone who still cares about vinyl; the rest moved on to CDs and, later, digital.

My point was, of course, that nothing lasts forever. That said, the "next best thing" isn't necessarily an improvement, and I'm not a fan of streaming, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know how well they're doing, but we have a few shops like that around here as well--moreso the "used records" shops. Except for one friend I don't personally know anyone who still cares about vinyl; the rest moved on to CDs and, later, digital.

My point was, of course, that nothing lasts forever. That said, the "next best thing" isn't necessarily an improvement, and I'm not a fan of streaming, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But then I still have a collection of VHS tapes and a player.....I just can't remember how to hook it up. The aspect of streaming I love is that it brings the world to my TV. Just finished watching a Bulgarian Cop show.....not great TV but I got a chance to see Bulgaria without the hassle of actually going there.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up

The last VCR came off the line in 2019.

Blu-ray players still being made and bought in the millions.

And I have a brand new turntable in my home about 11 feet from where I am typing this.

But thanks for playing.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Cairo Cavalcade of Christmas continues with Opus and Bill: A Wish for Christmas Wings That Work.

Berkley Breathed's beloved Opus the penguin and his addled cat friend Bill the Cat in Christmas escapades, with their Outland friends Ronald-Ann and Truffles the Pig.

My Christmas wish would be a Bloom County Christmas reunion!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Except for one friend I don't personally know anyone who still cares about vinyl;

"How did so and so win the election, no one I KNOW voted for them"?

It is called projection. It is not a good look.

Your comment is also logically insane. You DO know someone interested in vinyl. And in case you're wondering, the free market is based on the idea that if there is a market for something, someone will make it.

Hence, vinyl records selling in the millions. Because, you know, someone is in the market for them.

Like me and your friend...

EngProf

Practically Family
"How did so and so win the election, no one I KNOW voted for them"?

It is called projection. It is not a good look.

Your comment is also logically insane. You DO know someone interested in vinyl. And in case you're wondering, the free market is based on the idea that if there is a market for something, someone will make it.

Hence, vinyl records selling in the millions. Because, you know, someone is in the market for them.

Like me and your friend...
Vinyl is apparently selling very well, since a local (Nashville) record-pressing company stopped giving tourist-tours because they were too busy.
Shortly after that they bought a new factory and doubled their production (and they were making a lot before that - records are a big deal in Music City).

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Cairo Cavalcade of Christmas continues, with two stop motion classics.

Mackey Rooney becomes Santa who looks like Glenn Campbell in Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

Then, Mickey Rooney as an older Santa married to Hazel the maid in The Year Without a Santa Claus.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'm old enough to comment on dead-dying-suddenly revived media formats I suppose. I had a ton of "hand me down" record players as a kid. Some with quarters attached to the tone arm... some without. Never dabbled much with cassettes as they always wound up getting tangled and required hours of fruitless fixing. Skipped 8 Track altogether. I was an early adopter of CD's an thanked the Gods to be rid of wow, bacon sizzle and skipping. Bought a decent turntable in the early 2000's, played a couple of records on it, remembered why I hated it and the turntable's been in the basement ever since.

I still buy CD's but for convenience I rip them in lossless to my HD on my main computer and stream most of it via DNLA. I'm not subscribed to any streaming services but who knows what the future holds. I personally don't care what people use to listen, long as they listen and enjoy.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I am that most unique of lawyers - BLUF (bottom line up front).

To answer some of the questions, the fifteen-year story arc is simultaneously just that, one overarching story arc, along the way with one or multiple-season mini-arcs, along with what my wife and I call the "one offs" which we love, episodes that deal with one "hunt" with no link of importance to the overall story.

Unless it's an anthology series, with each season being its own thing, any series will become repetitive to a point. Friends was ten years of six friends hanging out in a coffee shop, mayhem ensues. MASH was a three-year war spread out over, what was it, twelve seasons and a film, looking at a small mobile hospital unit in Korea. Mayhem ensues.

The Sopranos, which many consider the greatest tv series of all, is about a Mafia don and his family. Mayhem ensues.

I can say that no, not every episode has the two Winchester brothers rescuing the hottie from a monster, but that does happen. Yes, finding out what killed their mother and girlfriend is an arc, for a while. It is part of a much larger story line, that evolves over time.

I, like many fans, have issues with how that played out, over the course of specific seasons (here's looking at you, season seven), and over the course of the last season, which is where AmateisGal, myself and many others have had issues. That is, how the writers and show runners "resolved" the overarching issue at play.

Regardless, what we have loved over the series is the characters, the many relationships established, most if not all of the main story lines, and the many funny and creative one-offs over the years. With over 300 episodes, there will be lesser ones along with the greater ones. Name one show where that is not the case.

But my BLUF is this - something speaks to you, or it does not. I could suggest watching perhaps season one (twenty odd episodes), to get some kind of sense, but that is nearly 20 hours of your life you'll never get back if you don't "get it".

Or, over 300 episodes you'll own on the special edition complete series collectors blu-ray, complete with Dean Winchester standee, and custom-made Dean Winchester photo collage on canvass for your wife's 50th birthday in your walk-in closet.

your call...

View attachment 382717

View attachment 382718

View attachment 382719

Puddin' who's become enamored with all the shirtless male hunkage in the series is binging 3 to 4 episodes a night. I'm just along for the ride. I've become interested in how angels, demons et al are portrayed in this series versus "Lucifer" which I really loved. When a specific angel is mentioned or shown that was present in Lucifer the differences can be quite jarring to say the least. The problem with Puddin' consuming sooooo much of this quite bloody and violent show is it gives her nightmares... bad ones. Me, being a practicing druid, I sleep the sleep of the righteous. Well we're in Season 5, we'll see how it goes from here...

Worf

...I had a ton of "hand me down" record players as a kid. Some with quarters attached to the tone arm... some without...
Now that's one of those things that you almost have to have lived through to understand--putting coins on the tone arm. It must surely have been mentioned in the "You Know You Are Getting Old When..." thread.

Puddin' who's become enamored with all the shirtless male hunkage in the series is binging 3 to 4 episodes a night. I'm just along for the ride...
Careful taking that ride, you might just find yourself getting hooked on the show yourself (though not necessarily for the shirtlessness).

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
SPN had been on for five seasons before we heard of it.

My then 15 year old nephew introduced us to it, and we started it live that fall (2010, start ofbseason six).

Ironically, he fell off the wagon after season 7 (not the greatest IMHO, but not as bad as some make out).

Re the hunkiness, forget the season, but the character Sam has a female fan, and when they meet, she cannot keep her hands off him..

Sam: "Could you stop touching me please"?

Becky: "No".

Puddin' who's become enamored with all the shirtless male hunkage in the series is binging 3 to 4 episodes a night. I'm just along for the ride. I've become interested in how angels, demons et al are portrayed in this series versus "Lucifer" which I really loved. When a specific angel is mentioned or shown that was present in Lucifer the differences can be quite jarring to say the least. The problem with Puddin' consuming sooooo much of this quite bloody and violent show is it gives her nightmares... bad ones. Me, being a practicing druid, I sleep the sleep of the righteous. Well we're in Season 5, we'll see how it goes from here...

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm most of the way through the Hawkeye series on Disney+. I have to say, this is one of the better ones they've come up with, I like it more than The Falcon and Winter Solider or Loki.

It's refreshingly not about a world-threatening scenario, it's set in NYC at Xmas, and is as much about its characters as cool fight scenes. Jeremy Renner is excellent as Clint, still trying to get over Natasha's sacrifice and everything else he's been through, spending time with his restored family... And just when he thinks he's out, they pull him back in.

The first episode includes the funniest thing that Marvel's come up with a while: Clint and his kids attend Rogers: The Musical on Broadway. The sequence shown is probably the first act finale: a re-enactment of the Battle of New York, complete with a Chitauri chorus line! And the anthemic song that "Cap" is leading the Avengers in? "I Can Do This All Day!"

Rogers_the_Musical0.png Rogers_The_Musical2.png RogersTheMusical4.png

Anyway, it's a hoot!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko