Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Raised by Wolves - Season 2" - Fascinating and confusing as hell all at the same time. One episode left. I hate shows that raise more questions than they answer (Lost) but I'm sometimes drawn to them as well. Arrrgh!

Worf

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The Missus stumbled across The Practice, an 80s era lawyer show. It was okay, but she abandoned it about midway through season one.
We spend so much time with the streaming shows that we have weeks of broadcast shows (Blue Bloods, et al) on the dvr. Only some dedicated couch time will clear out the backlog.

Edward

Bartender
We've been watching the new version of the Wonder Years, which is sort of the same premise as the original but relocated to Alabama and following a young African American and his family growing up in the 60s. While it hasn't struck the same chord with me as the Kevin Arnold version (for obvious reasons), it has its moments.

Last night's episode threw us a curve, however, and provided a connection between the shows and their protagonists, Dean and Kevin.

Really didn't see it coming, but it had an O. Henry feel to it.

Sounds interesting, not heard of that one here. Loved the original back in the day. Will be interested to see this new one if it makes it over here: interesting time and context for a kid's eye view.

Sounds interesting, not heard of that one here. Loved the original back in the day. Will be interested to see this new one if it makes it over here: interesting time and context for a kid's eye view.

The original was right up my alley as a semi-suburban kid growing up in the 60s-70s. I think Kevin Arnold is 3-4 years older than me, but it tracks. I remember watching the first episode with a friend and it contained the line, "That was when a kid could take off on his bike for a few hours and not wind up on a milk carton." My friend, Greg, scoffed, "Heck, I could do that."

I said, "Don't you get it, Greg? This is us!"

The newer one is trying to hit the same beats with a different melody. Don Cheadle takes on the narration duties that Daniel Stern previously held down.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"From" - Wow.... Another "strange" one on Epix/Amazon Prime. Simple premise (thus far).... there's a town, you drive in, you can't drive out! No matter how often you drive through town or reverse course you wind up right back in the middle of town. IIRC there was a Warner Bros. cartoon with the same premise cept it involved a complicated Highway system. Not overly scary a premise until you find out that, at sunset, creatures come out. They look like normal folk, maybe even people you know, but when they attack you see they're hideous Frankincense Moonsters! They torture you, then eat you alive, leaving little behind cept your head and a few extremities. If you're inside, have a talisman (where they come from and how they work has yet to be divulged) AND you don't let them in you're safe till sunrise.

We find this all out as a typical family in an RV find themselves stuck in this rundown town from Hell! Silly premise, but if you let your mind slip into suspended disbelief you will have one scary trip. Family's had some nightmares after watching 3 episodes of this one! Yipes!

Worf

Edward

Bartender
First episode of series 7 of Inside Number Nine last night. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inside_No._9 Outstanding episode, beautifully written. Lovely to see all three front-of-camera League of Gentlemen boys together again.

New series of Derry Girls is bittersweet: sublimely written, but sad that it is to be the last. Worth checking out for a broadly realistic picture of what it was really like to live in Northern Ireland in the mid-late nineties.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Johnny Staccato S1 E1 via the tube of you. John Cassavetes as a jazz musician whose real job is private detecting. Ran from 1959-60. Very cool shots of 1959 New York City as Staccato walks around town. Gritty. Exceptionally cool when we glimpse real jazz musicians performing in the basement club - Shelly Manne, Pete Candoli, Red Norvo, Red Mitchell, Barney Kessel, and on piano Johnny Williams, who went on to enjoy a successful career in movie music.
Looking forward to viewing some more.
Finished Sanditon, S2. Also some Miss Marple on Brit Box. The Missus is binging The Good Witch.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
Bosch.
Spent the last couple nights watching season 01.

Didn't think I could ever watch a "cop show" again, as they seem so ubiquitous and cliche now. Law & Order - Keokuk.... Law & Order - Fresno <jk> I mean how many of those shows are there, lol.

Bosch is maybe not breaking any new ground, but it's very well done. I enjoy the pacing if that makes any sense. Story lines carry over from previous episodes and it's not all wrapped up neat & tidy in 60 minutes.

The psycho - Reynard Waitz - that dude was scary, that actor nailed it.

I've always liked whatever Titus Welliver was in, Deadwood, S.O.A. etc. Have S02 tee'd up.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Puddin' is thoroughly entranced with "The Last Kingdom". I didn't get into it, but hearing it from the man cave it sounds like "Game of Thrones" on steroids. Rape, ravage and ruin! Battles all the time betrayals, murder you name it. Sheeya.... Ain't we got enough of that going on in real life? [Bartender Edit: let's keep away from contemporary political issues, please.]

Worf

Last edited by a moderator:
Puddin' is thoroughly entranced with "The Last Kingdom". I didn't get into it, but hearing it from the man cave it sounds like "Game of Thrones" on steroids. Rape, ravage and ruin! Battles all the time betrayals, murder you name it. Sheeya.... Ain't we got enough of that going on in real life? [Bartender Edit: let's keep away from contemporary political issues, please.]

Worf
My wife has a mad crush on Uhtred! He has better hair than me.

Finished off "Ozark" last night. I think another example of a show that should have ended after 3 seasons. This last season was about the money not the plot, not the characters...... The only reason we finished it was to see how they tied it all together and ended it. We no longer cared for any of the characters.......no real character development, no arc, just the same folks doing the same shit.....different day.

Finished off "Ozark" last night. I think another example of a show that should have ended after 3 seasons. This last season was about the money not the plot, not the characters...... The only reason we finished it was to see how they tied it all together and ended it. We no longer cared for any of the characters.......no real character development, no arc, just the same folks doing the same shit.....different day.

We have two eps to go and I couldn't agree more.

I just hope Wendy is eaten by a pack of wolves.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Gentleman Jack. HBO. I've really enjoyed this series. It somewhat has a similar cadence to Deadwood, though nowhere nearly as nicely written. And you know, I'm a sucker for a period piece. Really fine acting as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ